AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 AM

Serge

What made you choose the EAR 324 say over the tube driven EAR 88PB?

The 88Pb is a superb unit if you want a phono stage with transformer gain and may give you that little bit of tube magic you want when you go up the turntable tree.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Serge, you are not playing around.....Typhoon. Very nice. I have had my Scoutmaster for 2 1/2 yrs now and I still haven't coughed up the bucks for a RCM, although I have no doubt it is damn near essential to get the most out of my record collection. I will someday grab one (most likely a 16.5).....a 2nd subwoofer is first on deck.

Your reaction to your first few cleanings gives me confidence. The whole process of this fluid, that fluid, pre-clearer, cleaner, rinse, vaccuum not to mention whether to purchase Disc Doctor vs. MoFi vs Walker yada yada. The whole process feels intimidating. I fear making my records worse due to inexperience, BUT your initial experience seems to be a big thumbs up.

You mentioned a removal of a veiling of the music following giving 'the black circle' a good 'ol fashioned scrubbing. Are you referring to a used, 2nd hand LP culled from the bins or a brand spankin new puppy??

I too really enjoy the manual process of spinning an album, starring at the artwork, and listening to that big, round analog sound. Sometimes, the tweaking is a trouble spot for a vinyl newb such as me, but the reward is worth it. I just took possession of a VPI SDS speed controller a couple weeks ago. I never would have imagined the improvement locking in the speed EXACTLY at 33.33333 and 45.00000. My table was running fast (@ 33.3) and too slow (@45) before the SDS entered the picture. I hadnt checked my speed since the table was brand new 2 1/2 yrs ago.

btw, excellent choice with the Clearaudio Maestro MM. It has served me well and sounds excellent, even though i look forward to hearing a top shelf MC someday..........

Jason
Jason, a record cleaning machine is not something I wanted to have to upgrade in the future, buy it once and be done for a long time. I know there are even better machines out there but the Typhoon will serve my purposes very well. I like its build quality and robustness in use.

Like I said, some haziness was gone as soon as I cleaned the new albums I had. The mold release chemicals they use on vinyl should be cleaned off. When it comes to buying preowned vinyl, chances are, they are going to have to be cleaned thoroughly anyways so either way, it's good to have something to clean them with. A record cleaning machine just makes it much easier.

I have my turntable motor plugged into a Power Plant Premier which regenerates AC so the 60Hz cycle should be spot on without distortion which is what most of those outboard speed controllers do for an AC motor.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Serge

What made you choose the EAR 324 say over the tube driven EAR 88PB?

The 88Pb is a superb unit if you want a phono stage with transformer gain and may give you that little bit of tube magic you want when you go up the turntable tree.
Shane, my system is well balanced now with the hybrid Lamm amps/KX-R preamp and Wilson speakers. I wanted a phono stage that would be quiet since I don't need any extra warmth or "euphonic distortion". I have the Bellari tubed phono stage right now with the Maestro Wood MM which is a little too warm for my taste. I think the EAR 324 will restore the balance back. We'll see. I also don't know where the future will take me with this so I wanted a more flexible phono stage with lots of options, the 88PB is not quite as flexible.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-10-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
The Maestro is a nice cart. I have one here on one of the tonearms and really like it a lot.
Mine is starting to really open up as I keep breaking it in while listening to music. I like it a lot so far too.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I have my turntable motor plugged into a Power Plant Premier which regenerates AC so the 60Hz cycle should be spot on without distortion which is what most of those outboard speed controllers do for an AC motor.

My turntable's AC motor was also plugged into a PPP, yet still the speed was off. Turns out it is not an exact 60.0 Hz that allows my turntable to rotate at a precise 33.3333 revolutions.

KAB strobe disc.....probably the best out there
KAB - SpeedStrobe Turntable Speed Tester - Turntable Set Up Tools

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Mine is starting to really open up as I keep breaking it in while listening to music. I like it a lot so far too.
It sounds like Clearaudio hit a home-run with this one. I've read/heard nothing but good reviews about it. I applaud Clearaudio for going where no other cart maker has gone (i.e. really high-end MM).

Alberto
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
My turntable's AC motor was also plugged into a PPP, yet still the speed was off. Turns out it is not an exact 60.0 Hz that allows my turntable to rotate at a precise 33.3333 revolutions.

KAB strobe disc.....probably the best out there
KAB - SpeedStrobe Turntable Speed Tester - Turntable Set Up Tools

Jason
I'll have a strobe shortly, will let you know what I find. In any case the speed control from VPS is always a good thing to have so you did the right thing.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
It sounds like Clearaudio hit a home-run with this one. I've read/heard nothing but good reviews about it. I applaud Clearaudio for going where no other cart maker has gone (i.e. really high-end MM).

Alberto
Alberto, it was hard to find an "unbiased" review on this cartridge. You have the whole internet cornered with this thing. Everywhere I went, there was Alberto's reviews.... Even here.... click on the review Clearaudio Maestro Wood Phono Cartridge, Clearaudio Maestro Wood Phono Cartridge, 800-229-0644

It is a great cartridge Alberto and I agree with your findings.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Alberto, it was hard to find an "unbiased" review on this cartridge. You have the whole internet cornered with this thing. Everywhere I went, there was Alberto's reviews.... Even here.... click on the review Clearaudio Maestro Wood Phono Cartridge, Clearaudio Maestro Wood Phono Cartridge, 800-229-0644

It is a great cartridge Alberto and I agree with your findings.
I might have gone overboard with it but, not being a fan of MCs, I was SOOOOO happy to find a MM that would give many MCs a run for their money. Still, I would not have been so positive or pro-active if I didn't believe that it was a great cartridge. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Alberto
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM

So I tried the KAB strobe today that I borrowed. While I was almost expecting some drift from my not so expensive table and motor, I was surprised to see none... I mean nothing, rock solid. The 33 and 45 were both locked in. Since KAB uses a quartz locked illuminator and uses it's own 9v battery there is nothing to screw up the accuracy of it. Wow, pretty impressive for a more or less "entry level" table.

Of course I also had to try the PPP and straight to the outlet for the motor. Nothing, no difference what so ever. I was almost hoping that the PPP would improve the speed accuracy while the outlet would make it drift... Nope...