AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
John,

Thanks for the summary. I am a bit puzzled by the "Cortese sounded a little bright to my ears." Granted we all hear differently and I haven't heard it with the speakers in question, but I am super-sensitive to brightness and I've found the Cortese to be one of the smoothest amps I've ever heard in the top octaves. I've actually removed some high-frequency sound treatments in my room because I no longer felt the need for it; I have also adjusted the treble on my Tannoys from -1.5db to flat because of it.

I am not challenging what you've heard, just adding my experience. Perhaps Serge (PHC1) can chime in as well with his.

Alberto
Agree. Cortese is not bright at all, and the Haut Brion is not fuzzy. Haut Brion is very extended, sparkly and transparent, with a visceral, mighty quality to the sound. Just goes to show how room interactions and source components/music selection affect the system.

-M
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
You still should...
Sorry in advance. As you nay gather from my first 10 posts -I'm a cheap, cynical, analytical, & critical SOB. I guess I shop my forum sites like I shop my audio gear!

You do seem like a good bunch of guys -I'm sure I'll contribute soon. Well worth the price of admission.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
John,

Thanks for the summary. I am a bit puzzled by the "Cortese sounded a little bright to my ears." Granted we all hear differently and I haven't heard it with the speakers in question, but I am super-sensitive to brightness and I've found the Cortese to be one of the smoothest amps I've ever heard in the top octaves. I've actually removed some high-frequency sound treatments in my room because I no longer felt the need for it; I have also adjusted the treble on my Tannoys from -1.5db to flat because of it.

I am not challenging what you've heard, just adding my experience. Perhaps Serge (PHC1) can chime in as well with his.

Alberto
Let me rephase that as brighter than the Haut Brion. That's the word the dealer describe to me. But when I go for a second listen I will listen to the Cortese with the Latour.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Let me rephase that as brighter than the Haut Brion. That's the word the dealer describe to me. But when I go for a second listen I will listen to the Cortese with the Latour.
I think Matt's description nailed the Haut Brion -but if anything, that "sparkly/viceral" sound made the Haut Brion always sound "brighter" to my ears than the smoother, more romantic sound of the F2a's.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercom
After all these years I finally found a place to talk Shindo! Reading Art Dudley's, Jules Coleman's and Jeff Day's experiences got me into Shindo. Matt Rotunda's advice and help have helped immensely. Looking forward to being part of this community! Here are a few pics.
Stercom...WOW! What a beautiful system, welcome to AA and enjoy the Shindo forum. Be sure to join us over on the 'What's Spinning' forum where analog lives.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey

At the risk of being the forum jerk, this is another one of those widely considered "no-brainer" upgrades that didn't quite do it for me. I haven't found anything better than plugging those thin little gray cords right into the wall (I do have dedicated outlets). Not to say Mr. T doesn't work wonders for some, it's just one I think YMMV.
I'm still on the fence with Mr. T as well but I do think I'm having some electrical nasties get into my system from time to time as I still on occasion get some strange noise through my system. The strange thing is it's very sporadic and 9 out of 10 listening sessions I have no issues. I've also noticed it's only on the right channel whatever that means (maybe tube related?) I've been on the road so much lately with the new job I haven't had time to really diagnose it too much.

Anyway I'll have to see about demoing a Mr. T sometime to see how it interacts with my setup.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc

Stercom welcome and beautiful system! Can you describe it for us please?
+1, interested to learn more too and see how you arrived to your particular setup.

Are those Salk speakers?

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:16 PM

IMHO unfortunately, if you're not hearing distinct differences when using a Mr. T or other Shindo accessory, your speakers aren't providing you with the clearest window into the music possible. Nothing hides from a pair of high resolution horns. They reveal everything, good or bad.

A set of Shindo speakers will easily let you realize all the benefits of Shindo's other products. Additionally, once you get the rest of your system up to snuff, they'll provide you with a pristine window into the music. If emotion is contained in the recording, there's nothing better at affecting the same emotion within the listener.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Agreed. I have a Cortese paired with a Masseto, running into a pair of Altec Valencia 846a's, and have never heard a hint of what I would describe as brightness unless it was a particularly bright recording and even then the Cortese renders it listenable.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
I'm still on the fence with Mr. T as well but I do think I'm having some electrical nasties get into my system from time to time as I still on occasion get some strange noise through my system. The strange thing is it's very sporadic and 9 out of 10 listening sessions I have no issues. I've also noticed it's only on the right channel whatever that means (maybe tube related?) I've been on the road so much lately with the new job I haven't had time to really diagnose it too much.

Anyway I'll have to see about demoing a Mr. T sometime to see how it interacts with my setup.
Odd that that power issues would only impact one channel. What are you hearing?