AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 12-21-2021, 02:48 PM

Both REL and B&W excellent, of course. Owning subs from both, I would go with B&W in a heartbeat, to pair with your 803s. The B&W subwoofer app makes seamless integration with B&W mains (almost) mindless and instantaneous. Less than 5 minutes to start, then you can tweak the volume over the first day or two. The REL process is much more difficult and stress-inducing to get it just right. You might want to read both owners' manuals to get a sense of the difference
Old 12-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. After some consideration of individual experiences here I went to my local dealer yesterday. I think I’m going to order two JL f110s for my system. The bigger question is how to integrate it into a 2channel AND 5.2 system while still using the MEN220. It’s the dealers opinion to best accomplish this is to switch the cables when listening between music and HT. He mentioned the CR-1 but that would mean taking the MEN220 out of the system. I don’t want to do that at this point. Maybe an input switch box like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7P7366...V6YV1M2P074CWH

Has anyone dealt with this situation?

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 12-24-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:54 PM

Hi Doug,

I can't help with the box, but the suspense is killing me--spill the tea! The JL sub looks terrific, were you able to compare sound to the other finalists? Have you tried the MEN220 yet? Have you thought about how the MEN220 might interact with the JL DARO? One of my theories on why I did not keep the MEN220 is that my sub's DSP already provided a large amount of room correction.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2021, 03:31 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. After some consideration of individual experiences here I went to my local dealer yesterday. I think I’m going to order two JL f110s for my system. The bigger question is how to integrate it into a 2channel AND 5.2 system while still using the MEN220. It’s the dealers opinion to best accomplish this is to switch the cables when listening between music and HT. He mentioned the CR-1 but that would mean taking the MEN220 out of the system. I don’t want to do that at this point. Maybe an input switch box like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7P7366...V6YV1M2P074CWH

Has anyone dealt with this situation?
If you want a quality switch check out Goldpoint. https://goldpt.com/
Don't think you'll find anything on Amazon that is comparable.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-29-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
If you want a quality switch check out Goldpoint. https://goldpt.com/
Don't think you'll find anything on Amazon that is comparable.
Thanks Glenn but I if I understand these correctly they are passive pre-amps (switch and volume control) and are configured as XLR or rca only. I need both XLR (coming from c2700) and RCA (coming from 7012 av receiver) inputs and no volume control. I’m sure they are better quality and I could make my own using these components but I’m not at that point yet. The device I mentioned above did measure well. Here is a link to it.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...62/post-312129
I hope this is allowed here. If not let me know and I’ll take the link down.

2-Channel
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 12-29-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Hi Doug,

I can't help with the box, but the suspense is killing me--spill the tea! The JL sub looks terrific, were you able to compare sound to the other finalists? Have you tried the MEN220 yet? Have you thought about how the MEN220 might interact with the JL DARO? One of my theories on why I did not keep the MEN220 is that my sub's DSP already provided a large amount of room correction.

Cheers
Hi Peter. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was NOT able to do a side by side comparison. In fact, I wasn’t even able to hear the RELs. I did listen to the B&W and JL Audio but not at the same time nor on similar systems so I can’t comment on either, other than to say I liked them both. After talking to a couple individuals (Ivan being one of them ….. thanks Ivan) I ordered two f110v2 yesterday.

Now the dropping of the second hammer. The MEN220 and DARO do not play nice together. At least that is what I’m told by my dealer. I’m going to research that myself. The choice is use the CR-1 or men220 but not both. I’m not sure why I can’t use the DARO first than use the men220 calibration. Either way I’m hoping the JL’s will be easier to calibrate because of the line level inputs rather than REL’s speaker level inputs.

Now the third hammer. If I don’t use the CR-1 I will need a switch box or manually switch the cables out when listening between music and movies. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

I never thought adding a pair of subs to my system would be soooo difficult. Does everyone face these choices or am I doing something wrong.

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3

Last edited by dkorbal; 12-29-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:31 PM
Retired

Doug - Goldpoint makes switchboxes as well as passive preamps. They will build most any configuration you ask for.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-29-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Doug - Goldpoint makes switchboxes as well as passive preamps. They will build most any configuration you ask for.
Good to know. I think a call is in order. Thanks.

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 12-29-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Hi Peter. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was NOT able to do a side by side comparison. In fact, I wasn’t even able to hear the RELs. I did listen to the B&W and JL Audio but not at the same time nor on similar systems so I can’t comment on either, other than to say I liked them both. After talking to a couple individuals (Ivan being one of them ….. thanks Ivan) I ordered two f110v2 yesterday.

Now the dropping of the second hammer. The MEN220 and DARO do not play nice together. At least that is what I’m told by my dealer. I’m going to research that myself. The choice is use the CR-1 or men220 but not both. I’m not sure why I can’t use the DARO first than use the men220 calibration. Either way I’m hoping the JL’s will be easier to calibrate because of the line level inputs rather than REL’s speaker level inputs.

Now the third hammer. If I don’t use the CR-1 I will need a switch box or manually switch the cables out when listening between music and movies. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

I never thought adding a pair of subs to my system would be soooo difficult. Does everyone face these choices or am I doing something wrong.
I had similar issue. I chose the CR-1 for my subs and glad I did. Integration with mains subs was much easier and having high pass to main speakers is a great way to blend them. I am not using the DARO on my subs, not needed with my treated room.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Oh, yeah, there is a great alternative now...the KEF KC62. It's getting RAVE reviews everywhere. And, really small.

A friend in another forum has had about half a dozen subs from different mfrs (e.g. Rel, KEF Cube, KEF R400, Elac, 2x Rythmik, etc.) and he says the KEF KC62 is better than any of them.

And..it's small. Less than a foot square, something like 10" And...$1499/each.

Check out Darko's review here: https://youtu.be/Y2Lc8oOinOY

The thing is...these are excellent subs, and...they are small. Sounds perfect for your requirements.

I have a KEF KC62 in my second system and I am very very impressed at the sound! You really should go give it a listen...

Michael