AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
One of my close friends has a 2014 A6 and he doesn't like it. He previously had a BMW 535 and liked that much better. He will be ending his lease early and getting an E350 or 535.
Gary - interesting......any ideas about what he doesn't like about the A6? I mentioned earlier that I can't stand the pop up screen attached to the dash, it looks very half a##. I really enjoyed the 535i drive......it actually was a "fun"drive (I'm not used to some performance cars like some on here!).

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

I've went through that same decision very recently and bought the Mercedes E350.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elescher View Post
It's not clear if you actually drove them all. If not, start there. Looks aside, I prefer the feel of the BMW (at this level) to anything out there.
+1. I've driven BMWs exclusively for many years. Right now I own a 328 Xi and an X5. I would, however, like to test drive an Audi A8.

Last edited by thesaint519; 11-26-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
I bought a E250 Merc (the 4 cylinder turbo petrol motor you guys don't get in the USA). Drove a E400 AMG and can recommend it. Very fast serene transport. The inside is the same on all of them, bar the E63. Given my average speed is 15 - 17km/hr on my 16km round trip daily commute, power wasn't a pre requisite for me. Serenity and the quality of a good cabin were.

Drove the comparable Audi's and Bimmers, and preferred the E250. For refinement, it was leagues ahead.

Here is a picture of the E400 I drove. The AMG kit gave you better handling and better brakes, but unless you can use them, it is all a little wasted. The motor (twin turbo V6) was silky smooth and relatively quiet (oddly not as quiet as the 4 cylinder in the E250 around town, and didn't feel any faster and only marginally more refined in traffic) but, for me at least, didn't evoke any emotional response when pushed. It's a very fast car in a very boring way, if that makes sense.

The Audi A6 3.0 twin turbo diesel had the biggest grin factor - hugely powerful and sounded like a grumpy V8. if you like to play boy racer (I do) and can (I can't) then it would be the weapon of choice (it wasn't) just for the motor. Well after an E63 of course - but I am priced out of one of those (A$1/4 million). The 3.0 TT diesel is the same motor we get in the Audi SQ5 over here. I very nearly bought one of those, but ultimately went for the refinement of the Merc over the pace of the SQ5. Same price here, more or less.

The M535i was very quick and felt it, but I didn't feel that special inside the Bimmer, whereas I love getting into the Merc each day. Especially now I have the custom sheepskins fitted. The choice of the E250 vs E400 was down to the spend vs reward here in Australia, where cars are twice the cost of the USA. If I lived somewhere where it didn't take me an hour to get out of the built up traffic in any direction, and I could actually have fun with and use the capacity of the bigger motor on a regular basis, I'd have got the E400 (or maybe the A6 twin turbo - I can still hear that motor with the pipes open (sound resonator and all). The handling of the A6 left a little to be desired - it would push into understeer when you punted it hard into a corner. Safe - but a horrible feeling. Still you had to be driving it hard to get there. The AMG E400 had really good handling. It was impressive. Pity about the gear box in manual mode.

I also drove a GS350, and it was a generation behind the Germans for me. I also drove various Jaguar XF's - I didn't care for them, but the fit and finish was excellent. Visibility was a problem, as was getting in and out (much like the CLS - they look great but are a PITA to get in and out of). I also didn't care for any of the motors on offer in the XF except for the V6 twin turbo diesel and the V8. The 4 cylinder petrol turbo (same power plant (detuned) as the Ecoboost in the Mustang) was underpowered, and hunted among the gears. It was a pretty ordinary experience. Nowhere near the Merc 4 cylinder twin turbo petrol for refinement and driving pleasure. The Bimmer 4 cylinders I didn't like at all, except for the 520d. They all felt like 4 cylinder cars except for the 520d, which drove much better, the diesel giving it ample torque.

The GS 350 had a beautiful cabin, and came loaded with goodies, but again, felt a way back from the Merc and A6 & 5 series on the tarmac. I can see the appeal though.

For a left field suggestion, you could consider the E250 diesel if mileage is an issue for you; although I find 4 cylinder diesels sound like tractors at idle. I had an Audi Q5 2.0 diesel and sold it after a year - the diesel clatter got to much for me. Nice car but not in the same league as an E class. Anyways - that is my story.
Hi Andy,

I had the E400 AMG and its all as described except its a 7G Auto. Over here, all Merc are Auto even for the E63. Powerful, fast and quiet and with the 7.1 Sound System, Pano roof, a very desirable car bettered only by the E63. Over here, costs S$342k which is about A$309k. Attached a picture of the exact color and make I bought, right down to the rims.

You must be a car connoisseur as your descriptions of all the cars were exactly what I had experienced while test driving them and more. In the end, I chose the Merc E400 AMG as to me, its the bang for the buck.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mercedes Benz E400 AMG.jpg (96.1 KB, 26 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 11-26-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM

If you don't need brand new you might consider a Lexus IS-F .
The last year made is a 2014 model.
I just traded my 08 IS-F on this 2012 with 14,000 miles ( like brand new)
Lexus just started delivering the new RC-F coupe so a lot of IS-F owners will be trading up to that . That is how I got this new to me IS-F. the previous owner traded last Friday on a new RC-F and my Lexus salesman called me immediately to see this one because I had him on the lookout for a pristine 2012-2014 IS-F to buy.
It is CPO and comes with a 100K 5 year warranty.
Having owned both a BMW and Audi I can say that the Lexus reliability cant be beat !

The IS-F actually turned a quicker time at VIR ( Virginia Int Raceway than a BMW M-3) so it is quite fast has 4 doors and rides reasonably well for a performance sedan .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 ISF-Obsidian.JPG (502.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 AM

Here is an article to explain the Lexus IS-F
Attached Files
File Type: pdf isf story.pdf (2.30 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by repman; 11-26-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by repman View Post
Here is an article to explain the Lexus IS-F
Nice car, the IS F is a great car but I've got two little ones, so I have the car seats and all for a few more years, so more room is needed. If I didn't have to transport the kiddos, I'd probably be looking at that or an M3.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Buck , yes definitely not the biggest back seat good luck with your search and I hope you get a car that meets your space requirements and is fun to drive also.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I've got two little ones, so I have the car seats and all for a few more years, so more room is needed. If I didn't have to transport the kiddos,
Buck, the cars your looking at don't make a lot of sense with kids. Buy an SUV or a van. Why buy something that the kids are going to mess up day one. Carseats in these cars, why waste your money. Get something more family oriented. Your thing is already shrunk way down with kids involved anyway.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Buck, the cars your looking at don't make a lot of sense with kids. Buy an SUV or a van. Why buy something that the kids are going to mess up day one. Carseats in these cars, why waste your money. Get something more family oriented. Your thing is already shrunk way down with kids involved anyway.
We already have an SUV for the kids.......whoever has the kids for the majority of the day usually drives the SUV. When looking for the car, I still wanted something big enough so that I can take them if I need to without having them shoehorned in a tiny back seat. They've done just fine in the Lexus.....honestly if there's snacks in the car, they're "neat" snacks, no chocolate milk in my car!

- Buck