AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Accoustic Geometry

Has anyone used Acoustic Geometry products and/or have an opinion about the quality and effectiveness?

They seem to be well built, cost effective, and this diffuser has a bass trap built in which is nice.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Derek.......I checked their website. The products look competitive with GIK Acoustics who are sponsors of Audio Aficionado. I would check with GIK before spending any money with Acoustic Geometry just to be certain your money is being spent on the best acoustic treatment at any given price point.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 PM

There's always Vicoustic. We all like their Wavewood panels & they can be ordered here!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Dan, I've checked out GIK before and the products look great. They do not offer a product quiet like the one Acoustic Geometry's Diffuser + Base Trap which is a half ellipse. I was going to post a link originally but the rules were not clear to me if that was allowed since there is pricing (but not a way to purchase) on the page. I couldn't find a similar GIK product and I like the half ellipse design, I'm just not sure how well they work.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuxa View Post
There's always Vicoustic. We all like their Wavewood panels & they can be ordered here!
I know they are really popular and work well, I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Derek – I looked at the Acoustic Geometry curves myself – They are a division of a company called Acoustical Services which mainly deals with larger projects (auditoriums, lunchrooms, recording studios etc) – The Geometry products are their venture into home theater – My experience with their customer services was not positive – I never got the same answer twice or for that matter the same person on the phone – Acoustical Services is a large company and home theater is a new venture for them - Ultimately I figured if this was their service before the order it wasn’t going to get any better if I needed customer support once I had product in my house

Second the price to benefit ratio was not in proportion for my application – I have my system for music but as a family we watch movies in a group so my concerns extend past a single wall reflection point for music listening – I wanted to treat a wall area so I needed multiple panels – At 5 times the cost of a panel the curves just didn’t bring value or performance worth the price for me …. Your room and situation may be different

Third I got decent references from proaudio folks on those products but nothing from anyone on their home theater line – In fact one of their distributors gave me the feeling he favored another product … the one that comes in a full tube if you catch my drift - Online there was only one old sterophile review … makes me wonder what the company’s commitment to the product is and why they haven’t had any movement the last few years

Anyway I checked out everything and finally went with GIK – Their customer service is top notch – You not only get a terrific website full of resources but live people to customize the information and apply it to your needs – The follow up through manufacturing and shipping is great - Alex and Cristina are the bomb – When it comes to references GIK has a boatload – They do good things for a lot of people

Everybody has a different situation – I will say for me in the scheme of things out of all the cables and components and tweaks that room treatments had the most noticeable improvement for the dollars spent

Point is you go with what works for you

Last edited by all2ears; 03-03-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
Dan, I've checked out GIK before and the products look great. They do not offer a product quiet like the one Acoustic Geometry's Diffuser + Base Trap which is a half ellipse. I was going to post a link originally but the rules were not clear to me if that was allowed since there is pricing (but not a way to purchase) on the page. I couldn't find a similar GIK product and I like the half ellipse design, I'm just not sure how well they work.
If you are looking to combined diffusion and trapping then take a look at our scatter plate. Basically we can build a slat design into a lot of our products. See more here.
GIK Acoustics Scatter Plate
Europe - http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
Derek – I looked at the Acoustic Geometry curves myself – They are a division of a company called Acoustical Services which mainly deals with larger projects (auditoriums, lunchrooms, recording studios etc) – The Geometry products are their venture into home theater – My experience with their customer services was not positive – I never got the same answer twice or for that matter the same person on the phone – Acoustical Services is a large company and home theater is a new venture for them - Ultimately I figured if this was their service before the order it wasn’t going to get any better if I needed customer support once I had product in my house

Second the price to benefit ratio was not in proportion for my application – I have my system for music but as a family we watch movies in a group so my concerns extend past a single wall reflection point for music listening – I wanted to treat a wall area so I needed multiple panels – At 5 times the cost of a panel the curves just didn’t bring value or performance worth the price for me …. Your room and situation may be different

Third I got decent references from proaudio folks on those products but nothing from anyone on their home theater line – In fact one of their distributors gave me the feeling he favored another product … the one that comes in a full tube if you catch my drift - Online there was only one old sterophile review … makes me wonder what the company’s commitment to the product is and why they haven’t had any movement the last few years

Anyway I checked out everything and finally went with GIK – Their customer service is top notch – You not only get a terrific website full of resources but live people to customize the information and apply it to your needs – The follow up through manufacturing and shipping is great - Alex and Cristina are the bomb – When it comes to references GIK has a boatload – They do good things for a lot of people

Everybody has a different situation – I will say for me in the scheme of things out of all the cables and components and tweaks that room treatments had the most noticeable improvement for the dollars spent

Point is you go with what works for you
Great Info, that helps a lot, Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
If you are looking to combined diffusion and trapping then take a look at our scatter plate. Basically we can build a slat design into a lot of our products. See more here.
GIK Acoustics Scatter Plate
Interesting product, its nice that by covering it you get some consistency plus double duty. Cant beat the pricing either. I'll have to look more closely at your product line, not sure how I missed this.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM

I haven't tried the GIK products yet but working with Glenn (who I assume is the same Glenn who posted in this thread) has been a pleasure. He really helped me sort out which specific products and in what configuration will address my specific needs. Its also worth nothing that this is something I could not get out of Acoustic Geometry, at least not through my initial inquiry.

Bottom line, so far the price and the customer service of GIK look phenomenal.