AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
A XMas jazz classic. Who can't love this?

Vince Guaraldi Trio, "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
Fantasy 8431 (Ap 45 RPM remastered by Steve Hoffman)

I would be interested in your comments on this one. I have both the SACD and the 24/96 download of this, and the highs on both sound a bit harsh in my system.

Last edited by asindc; 11-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

In further spirit of the season:

If this needs any introduction, well, I think you need to get out more. LOL! Seriously, anyone who loves Christmas music and great vocals should have this in their collection.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Madeleine Peyroux - BARE BONES.

Mobile Fidelity.
Unbelievable music quality wonderful vinyl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3746278896.jpg (29.4 KB, 1 views)
Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I would be interested in your comments on this one. I have both the SACD and the 24/96 download of this, and the highs both sound a bit harsh in my system.
The 45 LP is beautifully and carefully mastered. It's also a pretty good test that your sub is setup properly. The bass is big and deep. I have a CD of this and it is flat and lifeless by comparison. Sadly, it appears the 45 RPM LP is OOP. I bought my copy last year about this time.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
The 45 LP is beautifully and carefully mastered. It's also a pretty good test that your sub is setup properly. The bass is big and deep. I have a CD of this and it is flat and lifeless by comparison. Sadly, it appears the 45 RPM LP is OOP. I bought my copy last year about this time.
Thanks. Yeah, I just did a search and Acoustic Sounds is out of inventory. A 24/96 CD apparently has been released this season, but I'm not interested in that. I'll just keep an eye out for a re-release of the vinyl re-issue.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I just did a search and Acoustic Sounds is out of inventory. A 24/96 CD apparently has been released this season, but I'm not interested in that. I'll just keep an eye out for a re-release of the vinyl re-issue.
That 45 RPM won't be repressed. It's gone now.

It was part of AP's Fantasy series of reissues, and they were all limited editions (2500 copies, 1-1000 numbered, I think). If you want it, keep an eye out for it in the usual places for used vinyl.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
That 45 RPM won't be repressed. It's gone now.

It was part of AP's Fantasy series of reissues, and they were all limited editions (2500 copies, 1-1000 numbered, I think). If you want it, keep an eye out for it in the usual places for used vinyl.
Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder why it won't be re-pressed. I can't imagine that there won't be a demand for another 2-3,000 copies or so.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder why it won't be re-pressed. I can't imagine that there won't be a demand for another 2-3,000 copies or so.
It's not how the audiophile vinyl market works. When they are pressed they are marketed as limited editions. That creates the demand up front, and many buy them as investment for that reason. AP will never repress this because that would compromise their credibility. MoFi has been doing this for decades. Sealed copies of MoFi reissues from decades ago go for stupid amounts of money. In addition, they have limited resources for pressing albums and they are on to other projects.

I don't buy these for future investment. I buy them to enjoy, but it's nice to know I can get my money back on them sometime in the future if I so desire.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 11-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Music Lover!

Eric Dolphy Quintet Outward Bound 1966 1982 Remaster Prestige Records, OJC, New Jazz, Fantasy Inc. NM

Some pretty awesome outside stuff.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
It's not how the audiophile vinyl market works. When they are pressed they are marketed as limited editions. That creates the demand up front, and many buy them as investment for that reason. AP will never repress this because that would compromise their credibility. MoFi has been doing this for decades. Sealed copies of MoFi reissues from decades ago go for stupid amounts of money. In addition, they have limited resources for pressing albums and they are on to other projects.

I don't buy these for future investment. I buy them to enjoy, but it's nice to know I can get my money back on them sometime in the future if I so desire.
I understand that some releases are limited editions for various reasons, but it does surprise me that such a high-demand work of art would be so limited. I count this as another reason why the general public views audiophilia as a very small niche, and not necessarily in a good way. I think there are other ways to build in value of the earliest pressings of re-issues beyond limiting them to a relatively small number, such as elaborate liner notes (both original and current), special labeling, and/or special packaging.

Last edited by asindc; 11-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.