AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 11-13-2022, 05:59 AM

Default Marantz AV 8802a PrePro.

I plan to by a used Marantz 8802a preamp processor which I’m only using it for a 5.1 system and nothing more since I have a small home theater room. I only have my Oppo DVD/CD player, directv box and for the display I have my Sony 4K tv and a Sony 4K laser projector. The question is, is the Marantz 8802a good enough? I also have all the external amps for each of the 5.1 channels.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:55 AM

I have an 8802A and it's been a reliable addition to my system.

You would want to make sure you're getting the "A" version with HDCP 2.2 and hdmi 2.0 as that should be compatible with the gear you listed. Double check the hdmi spec of your Sony TV and projector to make sure they aren't hdmi 2.1 spec.

Frankly, I don't use any video upscaling features of the 8802A because I don't see the point. Your monitor will upscale the incoming signal as necessary anyway. I also like to connect my hi def video sources directly to my tv.

It falls short of 8K video capability and the latest HDCP 2.3 specs but I don't have a need for either. From what I gather, HDCP isn't important at this point because it requires all connected equipment to be the same spec and I'm not aware of its use yet. Maybe it's being implemented in 8K monitors? In any case you probably wouldn't be looking at the 8802A if you had an 8K display.

I'm still very happy with my 8802A.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 11-13-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I have an 8802A and it's been a reliable addition to my system.

You would want to make sure you're getting the "A" version with HDCP 2.2 and hdmi 2.0 as that should be compatible with the gear you listed. Double check the hdmi spec of your Sony TV and projector to make sure they aren't hdmi 2.1 spec.

Frankly, I don't use any video upscaling features of the 8802A because I don't see the point. Your monitor will upscale the incoming signal as necessary anyway. I also like to connect my hi def video sources directly to my tv.

It falls short of 8K video capability and the latest HDCP 2.3 specs but I don't have a need for either. From what I gather, HDCP isn't important at this point because it requires all connected equipment to be the same spec and I'm not aware of its use yet. Maybe it's being implemented in 8K monitors? In any case you probably wouldn't be looking at the 8802A if you had an 8K display.

I'm still very happy with my 8802A.
Christian, thank you for the info about the 8802a. First is yes, I confirmed and it is the 8802a, and to be precise, my Sony TV is the master class series 77” model A9G which is 4K 120hz and it has one 2.1 HDMI port and three 2.0 HDMI and one eArc port and the Oppo I have is the old BDP 95 which I’m only using it for CD/SACD listening and for the 4K DVD player, I have the cheap Sony 700 it I will soon change that to either the Reavon UBR X200 or the Panasonic DP-UB9000. So none of my equipment are 8k so I hoping and which I think it will, the 8802a should work just fine. I forgot to mention I’m also using the analog multichannel from the Oppo and to the processor that the 8802a has the 7.1 channel input so it should work perfect I hope.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:42 PM

I would have agreed in the past, but would suggest you take a look at the Anthem 540 or above due to what I believe will be superior sound for music and movies and ARC. I think Anthem is leaps and bounds above the Denon/Marantz in terms of sound...though they still have way more features (which my not be of interest to you). Previous to having a Anthem based theatre I would not have believed that...
Old 11-13-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
I would have agreed in the past, but would suggest you take a look at the Anthem 540 or above due to what I believe will be superior sound for music and movies and ARC. I think Anthem is leaps and bounds above the Denon/Marantz in terms of sound...though they still have way more features (which my not be of interest to you). Previous to having a Anthem based theatre I would not have believed that...
Thanks for the suggestion, I did just checked out the mrx540 and it’s an excellent unit but unfortunately it doesn’t have the multichannel input in the back otherwise I would seriously consider the mrx540.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:49 PM

Question: Am I missing a lot as the AV 8802a I just bought doesn’t have the Dolby vision capable but my new Sony laser projector and my Sony tv are?
Old 11-20-2022, 01:38 PM

Your Sony laser projector doesn't do Dolby Vision. If you need a multi-channel input, then are you letting another processor do the sound? The Anthem processor does great sound via HDMI.

I just reread earlier entries. You must want multi-channel inputs for the SACD.

Last edited by thughes; 11-20-2022 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Question Mark
Old 11-20-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Your Sony laser projector doesn't do Dolby Vision. If you need a multi-channel input, then are you letting another processor do the sound? The Anthem processor does great sound via HDMI.

I just reread earlier entries. You must want multi-channel inputs for the SACD.
Yes, for audio, from my Oppo I like to use multichannel out to the multichannel in of the processor (8802a) and for video, HDMI cable from Oppo to the processor HDMI in then HDMI out from processor to the TV and the other HDMI out to the projector.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
Yes, for audio, from my Oppo I like to use multichannel out to the multichannel in of the processor (8802a) and for video, HDMI cable from Oppo to the processor HDMI in then HDMI out from processor to the TV and the other HDMI out to the projector.
I'd compare the DACs of the Oppo with the DACs in the Marantz (via HDMI, and it gives you the possibility of playing an SACD over HDMI).
I've experienced that the 8802A is no slouch regarding DACs.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-22-2022, 06:50 PM

Good news, I just I called Marantz ask them my main concern about the 8802a not having the Dolby Vision, and their answer is yes, you can have the Dolby vision by upgrading the firmware, so I ask them to email me where it says that on their Marantz bulletin and they did.
https://support-uk.marantz.com/app/a...-compatibility

Last edited by miketuason; 11-22-2022 at 06:52 PM.