AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 AM

Default Krell Evolution 202 vs Krells newer preamps

Hi!

Right now I'am using Krell 402 driven by Audio Research LS27.

What do you think happens if I bring Krell Evolution 202 into the game instead?

I also wonder whats happened with the sound with newer Krell Preamps, Phantom and Phantom II, compared to The Evolution 202?

I also wonder if anybody knows if I can connect my Home cinema processor front speaker pre out to the Evolution 202 so the signal goes through the 202 directly to the amp. (I don't know whats it called, in Audio Research the connection is called Processor)

/Apexorca
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

I thought the Phantom sounded very good when I auditioned one in my system last year. I have never tried the 202 so I cannot offer a comparison. Usually I would always go with the newer model as long as the price difference is not a factor.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I thought the Phantom sounded very good when I auditioned one in my system last year. I have never tried the 202 so I cannot offer a comparison. Usually I would always go with the newer model as long as the price difference is not a factor.
Hi Still-One!

I agree with you that newer models usually is better.
To day I heard that It's no difference between 202 and Phantom. Just some gadgets. I heard it from a initiated source but I doubtful about that. It should be something more.

I'v just started a test in my own system with the 202 and must give it at least a week before I make up my mind, but it's not making me unhappy so far, so to speak.

/Apexorca
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 AM

I have tried Krell EVO 202 for a week now. No doubt it's a killer. My Pre amp Audio Research Ls27 have no ability to compete against it.
The 202 presents everything in the music better. More control, the background is darker, It feels softer but still more high definition, more micro and macro dynamics.
The difference was bigger than I had expected. LS27 is not bad, its still good but beaten by evo 202.

Phantom product line is not that big difference compared to evo 202 ore evo 222, I have been told by a dealer I trust.

Conclusion: Krell evo 202 works very well together with Krell evo 402. No wonder.
I don't aim for the Phantom.
202 may stay...
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Conclusion: Krell evo 202 works very well together with Krell evo 402. No wonder.
202 may stay...
I agree 100%.

I had a Evo 202 and a friend have a new phantom. -> allwys with a 302e.

stay with the 202, invest in the phantom = waste your money.

The price difference between Evo and Phantom does not justify the money to invest.
raidho
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I have tried Krell EVO 202 for a week now. No doubt it's a killer. My Pre amp Audio Research Ls27 have no ability to compete against it.
The 202 presents everything in the music better. More control, the background is darker, It feels softer but still more high definition, more micro and macro dynamics.
The difference was bigger than I had expected. LS27 is not bad, its still good but beaten by evo 202.

Phantom product line is not that big difference compared to evo 202 ore evo 222, I have been told by a dealer I trust.

202 may stay...
Are you running in CAST mode?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Are you running in CAST mode?
Yes! Nordost CAST.
I'll compare CAST and Valhalla XLR in my system soon, but I'v heard this test before and it's very easy to hear the difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Hi!

Right now I'am using Krell 402 driven by Audio Research LS27.

What do you think happens if I bring Krell Evolution 202 into the game instead?

I also wonder whats happened with the sound with newer Krell Preamps, Phantom and Phantom II, compared to The Evolution 202?

I also wonder if anybody knows if I can connect my Home cinema processor front speaker pre out to the Evolution 202 so the signal goes through the 202 directly to the amp. (I don't know whats it called, in Audio Research the connection is called Processor)

/Apexorca
Excellent setup. I always wanted to try a Krell preamp. I have owned several Krell amps but never a preamp. I would be interest in your impression of XLR vs. Cast.

Rich
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Excellent setup. I always wanted to try a Krell preamp. I have owned several Krell amps but never a preamp. I would be interest in your impression of XLR vs. Cast.

Rich
Have this weekend, together with a friend, compared Nordost Valhalla XLR and Nordost CAST MMF in my system. MSB, Krell evo 202, Krell evo 402, Sonus Faber Amati Futura.

CAST i smaller, thinner and cheaper. It runs the signal from pre amp to amp. If you have got a cd from Krell (Cipher) you can use it from the cd to the pre amp as well.

In the beginning it was not easy to detect big differences. After a while more and more things were clear.
CAST have bigger dynamics especially the microdynamics and also more detailed. Especially a cymbal in Rosalia de Souca - d'improvviso track 8 on CD. After 1 minute a cymbal starts in the right channel in a quite high tempo. With CAST we could hear the strokes by the wooden stick and hear the sound from the hit reduces during the short period of time and changes until it was hit again. All this very clear. But with Valhalla XLR we could not hear the hit and the changes i sound during the time between the hits. Then this was detected we heard many more positive things with the CAST MMF cable.

My conclusion is that if it is possible to use the CAST. Do so. It is probably the best.

Apexorca

Last edited by Apexorca; 04-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Apexorca,

Thank you for your informative report on CAST vs. XLR. I wish Krell would make a HT processor with CAST outputs that cost much less than the Krell 707. I use my 403E for music and home theater and ideally, I would like to connect the amp to the processor with CAST and XLR to a tube preamp for 2 channel music.
RCA and XLR inputs can't be connected at the same time but CAST and XLR/RCA can.

Thanks again.