AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-24-2020, 07:51 PM

It took me a tiny bit longer with the Planar 8 because it was the first time I’d ever set up the new arm. The Planar 10 was just rinse repeat.

I’m using a 3D printed slip mat now from an Australian manufacturer called the Les Davis 33 1/3D mat and it’s uncanny how big the improvement is. It was originally chosen because we hated felt mats [emoji51] but it’s really a big step up.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:04 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Stein Mat here with great results. Who knew?
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 10-25-2020, 01:18 AM

I’m using an Auditorium 23 mat, works like a charm. The felt mat is the only issue I’ve had with the RP10, in dry weather it would occasionally cling to the record - dangerous when flipping a record with the platter spinning.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-25-2020, 07:13 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I’m using a 3D printed slip mat now from an Australian manufacturer called the Les Davis 33 1/3D mat and it’s uncanny how big the improvement is. It was originally chosen because we hated felt mats [emoji51] but it’s really a big step up.
When I had an RP25 with RB1000 arm I used the original Ring-Mat and it was a big improvement. Like you, never a fan of felt mats. I still use the Ring-Mat (after re-glue of the cork) on my DP-80 and keep thinking that after 25yr it should be replaced.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Incidentally... the Stein Music's mats, which are actually treated paper as are the woofers in my Wilsons, come with little tiny felt dots to attach the mat to the turntable. I'd never heard of Stein Music before reading Michael Fermer's review of the Planar 10 in Stereophile. He used one on this table. Turns out my dealer sells them. Discovery. Ain't life wonderful?
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 11-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The table came with the Apheta 3 pre-installed. So, far, I am very impressed with it, its very musical with superb detail and defintion, and it is very, very neutral. I really like it.
Getting better with age?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-25-2021, 04:55 PM

Stephen (PUMA CAT), any further feedback on your review of the Rega Planar 10?

I can't seem to shake the desire to go analog and naturally want to get the best TT setup I can (which usually means big $$). I may have talked myself off the ledge and will try to approach this wisely. IF I can remain disciplined and not go off the deep end, I will try to start off with an inexpensive setup. This one seems to be well liked by many.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Stephen (PUMA CAT), any further feedback on your review of the Rega Planar 10?

I can't seem to shake the desire to go analog and naturally want to get the best TT setup I can (which usually means big $$). I may have talked myself off the ledge and will try to approach this wisely. IF I can remain disciplined and not go off the deep end, I will try to start off with an inexpensive setup. This one seems to be well liked by many.
I gotta say, the Rega Planar 10 turntable is FABULOUS. I frickin' love it. Its is exceptionally quiet, and superbly neutral. There is NO coloration with this TT and the Apheta 3. None. And gobs and gobs of detail with an solid, and weighty bottom-end. Soundstage width, breadth and height is excellent and image stability is outstanding. The Rega Planar 10 is so good, so musical, immersive and so musically engaging, I guess you could spend more money on a TT, but really, why? I don't think one's musical enjoyment, involvement and sheer musical pleasure could be higher than what the Planar 10 provides. Save the money for a much more expensive deck and buy a Shunyata Everest and an Omega or Sigma XC PC for your system, instead.

This week, the plan is to do an interview with Roy Gandy of Rega for TAS.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-25-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:35 AM

Stephen, are you had any experience with the RP10? I’m wondering how much of a difference there would be going from the RP10 to P10 and in what areas.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-26-2021, 01:06 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Stephen, are you had any experience with the RP10? I’m wondering how much of a difference there would be going from the RP10 to P10 and in what areas.
Hi Tony,

I wish I had that experience to compare the two, but unfortunately, I don't. I do know that the Planar 10 has a newer arm, the RB3000, which is built to the highest tolerances yet of any Rega arm, the ceramic "strut" between the main bearing and tonearm, and an entirely new main bearing, but how those translate into differences, I really can't say. The last Rega I had was the P5, and that was a great 'table, but the Planar 10 is really, really exemplary. I'm thinking of buying this one and selling my Michell Gyro SE/SME V and Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, to be honest (a table that, new, would sell for ~$15K).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.