AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Clearaudio

Clearaudio Loving Music

Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post

Thanks for the input drjjpdc, after further of reading, talking to audiophile people, and finally listening to a friend concept with an MC cart. I am sold, I will get one soon. I think this would be a great addition to my McIntosh C2300 tube pre, a pair of vintage McIntosh C2100 set to mono, and a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig. II. I also listen to all type of jazz from fission to progressive to big band to modern jazz, and some Latin jazz too. After I get my Concept, I have to choose for a descent MC cart. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Mike
Mike-

It looks like no one has responded to your question about MC cartridges... The entry-level Clearaudio cartridges are very good and obviously have good synergy. In my experience, though, the lower level Benz MCs (Ace, Glider, etc) perform better and have a very high price to performance ratio. In the US both brands have the same distributor so it is common to find a dealer that carries both and often can provide advice or a demonstration of the two together.
Wilson Sophia 2's, Devialet D-Premier, Transparent Ultra ICs & SCs, Transparent Reference power products, Oppo BDP-103, Clearaudio Ovation TT & Benz Ace SM, Finite Elemente Pagode stands, ASC Tube Traps & Sound Panels
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM

Two cartridges that work very well with the Concept are the Clearaudio Concept MC and Clearaudio Maestro Ebony V2 MM.....The lower price Benz like the Ace are great too as mentioned above but at this time there not available and haven't been for over a year. I would not do a Glider and the reason being is they really need a top tier arm to show there colors (a waste on a top tier arm) and on the lower tier arms there just alright, the Ace is actually a better sounding pairing on the verify arm vs the Glide which not availble either. The new CA Maestro Ebony V2 is really a fantastic cartridge (I would do that over the Concept MC) very MC like with the new which is one of the biggest complaints of the earlier Maestro with the Santine wood body.....they were sort of lazy sounding compaired to the V2 version. Just my experiences (I own all these cartridges and tables).

Last edited by Removed; 01-26-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjpdc View Post
Mike,
I have had one for over a year. But I would careful with the "starter" TT categorization. I consider the starter term suitable for a lower priced TT, say around $300-600. The Concept is a true giant killer. As previously mentioned it greatly benefits from an MC Cart. I have a Benz Micro on mine and it sounds stellar to me. I listen to just about all kinds of music but I am firmly in the classical/jazz camp with a love of voice as well.

If you want to say that I prefer the midrange or some upper bass flavor, so be it. But I prefer warmth to coolness. I have Quicksilver V4's and an Audible Illusions M3A. As Chuck Heston used to say about his guns; ditto for me with Concept, it's not leaving my listening room any time soon.
I have a Concept also that I use for a mono deck. I agree it's excellent, but if you have a model with the steel spiked feet, it is very very susceptible to footfalls. If you contact Musical Surroundings, you should be able to order the newer rubber feet and also the metal rather than delrin subplatter.

The arm on the Concept is excellent.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Two cartridges that work very well with the Concept are the Clearaudio Concept MC and Clearaudio Maestro Ebony V2 MM.....The lower price Benz like the Ace are great too as mentioned above but at this time there not available and haven't been for over a year. I would not do a Glider and the reason being is they really need a top tier arm to show there colors (a waste on a top tier arm) and on the lower tier arms there just alright, the Ace is actually a better sounding pairing on the verify arm vs the Glide which not availble either. The new CA Maestro Ebony V2 is really a fantastic cartridge (I would do that over the Concept MC) very MC like with the new which is one of the biggest complaints of the earlier Maestro with the Santine wood body.....they were sort of lazy sounding compaired to the V2 version. Just my experiences (I own all these cartridges and tables).
I can vouch for the year wait for the Benz Ace!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Anybody knows where I can find a good price for Clearaudio Concept? Even a good used or demo one is ok. Thanks.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Default Change of Heart

First of all, I thank all of you for all your comment, suggestions, and input about my delima of choosing between the two models. Anyway, to make long story short, I bought a used but excellent condition VPI Scout TT with the upgraded HRX platter bearing and comes with the LYRA Argo cartridge worth $1500 new.
I paid $1800 for everything including upgraded feet and $150 worth of clamp. The PO said that he did had both the Concept and this VPI Scout and his experience with the two is, by far, the VPI Scout is way much much better TT than the Concept. I hope I did not make the wrong decision here. What do you guys think.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
First of all, I thank all of you for all your comment, suggestions, and input about my delima of choosing between the two models. Anyway, to make long story short, I bought a used but excellent condition VPI Scout TT with the upgraded HRX platter bearing and comes with the LYRA Argo cartridge worth $1500 new.
I paid $1800 for everything including upgraded feet and $150 worth of clamp. The PO said that he did had both the Concept and this VPI Scout and his experience with the two is, by far, the VPI Scout is way much much better TT than the Concept. I hope I did not make the wrong decision here. What do you guys think.
I think if you like how it sounds, you are good to go.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Yes I do like it!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM

I am new to the turn table and just purchased a Clearaudio Concept MC 2 weeks.
Excellent trun table for the beginner, I love it.
However, when I was cleaning/dusting the rack last weekend, I accidently caught the cartridge with the microfiber towel and ripped the tip off.
The Concept mc cartridge only had about 5 hours.
I literely have tears in my eyes……….

I know…..I know….. I should have the cartridge protection cover on the cartridge while I’m cleaning.
It’s an expensive lesson and I definitely learned from what happened.

Now……I don’t know what to do.

I called my dealer and was told that bring back the broken cartridge and they will replace me a new one.
Of course it’s not free and it will cost me $500.

I need your opinion on what I should do.
1. Repair the broken cartridge?
2. Replace with the same concept mc cartridge and pay $500?
3. Look for other manufature cartridges?

I listen to jazz and vocal mostly.
Your opinion is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Black,

Since you love the combo I would stick with it. Since you are set up for an MC, how much for the repair? If free and you just have to wait, I'd opt for the repair (not much different than re-tipping).

Now regarding some advice with cleaning. Not that I am an expert, just what I do. It's obvious you don't have a cover, neither do I. Go to walmart or a fabric store and buy about 6 feet of some colored fabric, fold it 2 or 3 times and place it over the Concept. Use a smooth fabric like sheet material (muslin).

There is also such a thing as too much cleaning. Get a compressed air can for the dust. As for the TT and stylus I use the audioquest brush for static. Here's a tip for cleaning the stylus, leave the volume on low so you can hear stuff. Take a small corner of a clean chamois, say an inch square & cut it off. I would use that little piece to just get close to the stylus and barely touch the tip back to front. Then get a bottle of Stylast (yeah it's expensive but worth it and it LASTS almost forever) and dab the brush against the side of the bottle opening and with a back to front motion touch the tip with a brush, not the cantilever. Leaving the volume on helps to hear when you touch the stylus. And of course while cleaning leave the arm in the clip that holds it!