AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-18-2021, 04:10 PM

Default Digitizing LP’s to Flac Help

So I’m looking to start digitizing my LP’s to flac files. The obvious is to get an analog to digital converter and software for my MAC. Anything else and also how?

For an ADC I was looking at the BEHRINGER U-Phoria UMC202HD. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

But at under $120 I’m not sure if the quality will be audiophile acceptable. So as a novice can someone guide me on what ADC, software for Mac and the steps to digitize my LP collection.

Thanks

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:31 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Paul, an interesting alternative would be the SweetVinyl SugarCube SC-1 Plus or SC-2 Plus units which are basically A/D-D/A converters with built-in algo for clicks & pops removal and surface noise reduction. Those units will then allow you to digitise your records, getting rid of all the unwanted noise. I have their smaller SC-1 Mini/Phono which does wonders. You'll find Michael Fremer's reviews on the net. And you may contact Dan or Leo at SweetVinyl they will surely be able to assist you for all technical questions about their units.

https://sweetvinyl.com

Edit: the main differences between the SC-1 Plus and the SC-2 Plus units is that the SC-2 Plus also has the internal recording and track editing function (so as far as I understand it you don't need the additional software on your Mac) as well as a headphone amp.
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser

Last edited by joel_hifi; 06-18-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Paul, an interesting alternative would be the SweetVinyl SugarCube SC-1 Plus or SC-2 Plus units which are basically A/D-D/A converters with built-in algo for clicks & pops removal and surface noise reduction. Those units will then allow you to digitise your records, getting rid of all the unwanted noise. I have their smaller SC-1 Mini/Phono which does wonders. You'll find Michael Fremer's reviews on the net. And you may contact Dan or Leo at SweetVinyl they will surely be able to assist you for all technical questions about their units.

Sweet..(pun intended) I will definitely look into the Sugar Cube. I like the click and pop removal.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Go Dawgs

Paul - I’ve been doing this for years now with great results……I use an NAD PP4 which ran around $200 I believe. I go out of my Audio Research REF 3 phono pre directly into the NAD and then from there into my MacBook Pro. I’ve been using Vinyl Studio software which works perfectly and is very user friendly. Now, as far as quality….it’s very good but the caveat is that I only do this for and iPod Classic for use in the car and also for a Sonos system for our home/outdoor use. I’ve never done any A/B comparisons for quality so not sure how it would stack up against a higher end ripping system. I will say that the Vinyl Studio software is fantastic and easy to use.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 06-18-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Paul - I’ve been doing this for years now with great results……I use an NAD PP4 which ran around $200 I believe. I go out of my Audio Research REF 3 phono pre directly into the NAD and then from there into my MacBook Pro. I’ve been using Vinyl Studio software which works perfectly and is very user friendly. Now, as far as quality….it’s very good but the caveat is that I only do this for and iPod Classic for use in the car and also for a Sonos system for our home/outdoor use. I’ve never done any A/B comparisons for quality so not sure how it would stack up against a higher end ripping system. I will say that the Vinyl Studio software is fantastic and easy to use.

- Buck
Thanks Buck, I’ll give it a look.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post

Edit: the main differences between the SC-1 Plus and the SC-2 Plus units is that the SC-2 Plus also has the internal recording and track editing function (so as far as I understand it you don't need the additional software on your Mac) as well as a headphone amp.
The SC-1 and SC-1 mini are sold out now. It appears there was fire and shipping will resume in the September/ October timeframe.

Was hoping to download a manual to see how it all works and connects but no luck. Looking at the pictures it appears I can go from my phono amp to the SC and from the SC to my preamp and USB from the SC to my MAC.

I’ll assume with the apps I would be able to select what type of file and that the files would be created on my Mac hard drive. (Remember I’m a novice)

Old 07-10-2021, 05:31 PM

Paul after trying different options and buying different equipment and being frustrated finally hit the jackpot with the following set up, bought a "Parasound - Zphono - USB Preamp & Digital Interface and was able to connect my Technics turntable to my MAC via Zphono, then started using Vinyl Studio to record my Lps and clean their sound, the results were excellent but very time consuming, before Parasound I try different ones and end up with distortion or static, because I have a big collection of Lps that I want to clean and preserve I decided to buy a SC-2 Plus from SweetVinyl to be able to clean all my Lps without espending hours trying to removed the clips, hope this help you, good luck
Old 07-11-2021, 09:35 AM

Thanks Elkin! Welcome to AA! I’m still trying to figure out which direction to go. The SC-2 is definitely a high consideration.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:02 PM

I think the key question when considering digitizing LPs is: What is the objective? The undertaking is inherently time consuming and many people consider it tedious, so it's worthwhile to be thoughtful. Here's my perspective.

I don't see any value in digitizing an LP for archival purposes. I have LPs that are 60+ years old and they still play without issue. Yes, they've been well cared-for and I use ultrasonic cleaning to keep the wear and clicks and pops at bay, but they'll outlast me unless they succumb to fire, flood, or insurrection first. Those are risks I'm willing to take.

What digital offers is convenience and portability. Most of the music I enjoy is already available in digital and mostly it is of sufficient fidelity that I find it listenable. Mostly.

That leaves just two categories of LP music that I consider worth my time to digitize: music that has never been released in digital, and music where the digital version just doesn't quite satisfy, for whatever reason. That leaves a rather small number of candidates for digitizing.

In my view, there's no point in digitizing analog unless the digital copy can be pristine. That means - as with everything in audio - it starts with the source. I don't think things like the SugarCube are the answer and neither is any software "fix." If I'm going to the trouble at the outset, I want the very cleanest, highest quality, most direct copy I can get, and I've found those copies don't need any "repairs" in the digital domain.

It is possible to make digital files that are essentially indistinguishable from the original LP. Whether it's worth the effort is a personal judgment, but it's nothing I'd consider unless I already had excellent LP playback gear. Otherwise, what's the point? The OP has a fine LP system, so I can understand why he's considering this.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:39 PM

Hi Cleeds…I will not be digitizing my entire LP collection for archival purposes. I too have LPs that are 60+ years old and some look as pristine as when they were new.

The primary reason will be to digitize the LP’s that their digital counterparts do not come close in sound quality. Digital has come a long way when done right but most suffer from extreme compression. The loudness wars are actually getting worse.

What I wrestle with is how much will I invest in doing this and will the results be worth it. I have some needle drops done by others that range from horrible to fantastic. Some of the horrible ones were done with some decent equipment and using a Sugercube.

About 20 years ago I purchased a Pioneer PDR-609 CD Recorder. It actually made some decent LP copies that I still listen to today. Maybe I’ll resurrect the PDR-609 and see if it will hold its own today before I go any further.