AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 08-24-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
Yes of course I will try both.
They will probably sound different but I think the DAC implementation in the Delta Pre should be good as well.
Does Classe use switching power supplies with the Delta Pre? I know the Classe Delta CP-800, which was a prodecessor to the Delta Pre, uses switching power supplies.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
I wasn't casting any aspersions on Classe in general, or your amps in particular, just stating my perception at the time.

There were definitely better SS amps to be had in 1992 than the M-700s (although not that many were high-power designs); when it comes to bass control, Krell immediately comes to mind. But to get a similar amount of power, the cost would have been double to quadruple the Classe's, and it just didn't seem worth it to me - the Classe's were good enough.

In the next few years I expect to (sadly) let go of the Infinitys, & just stick with the Atrias (I need to simplify my life), so I will no longer have a need for the Classe's either. In the meantime, they will continue to serve...

SOTA Cosmos TT (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Marantz SA-10 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (SS) & Hovland HP-100 (tube) preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs, Shunyata Alpha SCs
Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables for Pass XP-30
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner (on BBA platform), Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, & Venom HC PCs. Also PS8 & 2 Venom Defenders.
Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM
There were certainly better SS amps to be had in 1992 than the Classe M700. I found some Classe Delta series amps a bit dry lean and mechanical sounding lacking fluidity and bits of refinement. They are great at extracting every single last bits of details and nuances but fail to capture true emotions of the artists/musicians. They are great for home theater (movies) IMO but just ok for music. However, the Classe Omega Reference amps are different.

Actually, the new latest Classe Delta series amps (Delta Mono & Delta Stereo) are improved a lot compared to their prodecessors. They are way smoother and way more refined more musical than their Delta series prodecessors. They possess full bodied sound and pretty balsy.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
They will probably sound different but I think the DAC implementation in the Delta Pre should be good as well.

Does Classe use switching power supplies with the Delta Pre? I know the Classe Delta CP-800, which was a prodecessor to the Delta Pre, uses switching power supplies.

I think yes the new delta pre uses switching power supplies. I remember reading it in the manual.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
I think yes the new delta pre uses switching power supplies. I remember reading it in the manual.
Don't know why Classe uses switching power supplies for the $10k Delta Pre? They should have gone with linear analog power supplies, which are superior to the switching power supplies.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Don't know why Classe uses switching power supplies for the $10k Delta Pre? They should have gone with linear analog power supplies, which are superior to the switching power supplies.

I will ask for this, I am not sure.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:

Grimm Audio also uses switching power supplies in their 10K MU1 streamer.
I think the way you implement it is more important than the type of power supply.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Grimm Audio also uses switching power supplies in their 10K MU1 streamer.

I think the way you implement it is more important than the type of power supply.

Yes, it’s the implementation that matters. Linn also uses switch mode in their top-of-the-line streamer, which sounds excellent. They have invested a lot of engineering into perfecting it.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Yes, it’s the implementation that matters. Linn also uses switch mode in their top-of-the-line streamer, which sounds excellent. They have invested a lot of engineering into perfecting it.

I just read about the Soulution 330.
Also uses switch mode power supplies.
I don’t expect mediocrity from this brand...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-31-2020, 03:50 PM

I know, the implementation of it is more important than the type or kind of power supplies used. But the vast majority (not all) of ultra high end gears use linear analog power supplies which said to be lower noise cleaner when implemented properly of course. But some (fewer) high end and ultra high end gears use switching power supplies, and when implemented and configured right and properly can be very good too.

I'm aware that all Linn Klimax gears, which is Linn's top of the line series, use switching power supplies and they sounded fantastic. I've heard multiple Linn Klimax line before and they all sounded very musical.
Devialet integrateds also use switching power supplies.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-31-2020 at 03:53 PM.