AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Lightbulb Vandersteen fans

Let's find out how many Vandersteen fans we have.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 AM

I have been a big fan for nearly 30 years! I have had the 2C's and the 3A's I downsized to the 1B's and am enjoying their fantastic 3D quality with my Cary SLI-80. For a smaller room it is a high performance, low cost system.

I am considering returning to the 2Ce Signatures soon.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM

I had some 2CE's when I was broke and they were wonderful.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM

I did a lengthy audition of the Vandersteen 7s a few months ago and was extremely impressed. Vocals were liquid and amongst the most natural I've heard. Imaging was holographic with tremendous air around instruments. The bass was too much of a good thing with the powered subwoofer (measured 7.0 on the Richter Scale) but I'm sure could have been ideal if dialed back to a reasonable level.

PSF
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
I had some 2CE's when I was broke and they were wonderful.
When I was in college (30+ years ago..) I worked for a small audio store that focused on "Bang for the buck" quality. We tried to see what the best sounding system was that we could assemble at the lowest price point. I seem to have kept that search going.

I love the Wilson's and have spent a lot of time with the Sonus Faber Amati Futura's recently. For the $$ it is hard to beat either the Vandy 2CE Sig's or 3A Sigs....
Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I did a lengthy audition of the Vandersteen 7s a few months ago and was extremely impressed. Vocals were liquid and amongst the most natural I've heard. Imaging was holographic with tremendous air around instruments. The bass was too much of a good thing with the powered subwoofer (measured 7.0 on the Richter Scale) but I'm sure could have been ideal if dialed back to a reasonable level.

PSF
The 7's are very adjustable. Once dialed in they seem like they are made for the room. Love them with ARC gear!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
The 7's are very adjustable. Once dialed in they seem like they are made for the room. Love them with ARC gear!
Awesome speakers, but uber pricey
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Awesome speakers, but uber pricey
No doubt! But it seems like all the top models are pushing north of $40k these days. At least the 7's are considered to be one of the best you can buy for1/2 to 1/4 what the other TOTL models are going for.

What I enjoy is the trickle down effects of the innovations great designers have come up with. Aspects of the 7's have made it down to the 2Ce's.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
No doubt! But it seems like all the top models are pushing north of $40k these days. At least the 7's are considered to be one of the best you can buy for1/2 to 1/4 what the other TOTL models are going for.

What I enjoy is the trickle down effects of the innovations great designers have come up with. Aspects of the 7's have made it down to the 2Ce's.
I have to say that I really like the carbon/balsa sandwich cones on the Vandersteen 7s. Richard hit a home run with the design.

PSF
Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM

My first real pair of speakers where the 1B's. Still listen to them when I visit the east coast. A few years later I purchased 3A's. Wanted to get the signature upgrade, but sold the pair before I purchased a pair of Legacy Focus 20/20. Those Vandersteens speakers have a synergy when powered by a McCormack DNA-1 with Conrad Johnson tube pre-amplification. I wish I still had those 3A's. I always felt the 3A's were a tremendous value.