AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

MIke,
Here's my own 2¢ on a really easy solution for you: Just get the Conrad-Johnson gear. You already know you like it and that works for you in your specific home and listening room.

Why risk gong another brand that you don't know anything about with respect to hearing it in your own home that you would be "stuck with" if it turns out you don't like it?

"This reinforces the idea that the insight of fellow audiophiles combined with your own long term listening experiences are probably your best guide in determining the gear best suited to your needs."

Exactamundo, my friend. Go with what you know...cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-05-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
MIke,
Here's my own 2¢ on a really easy solution for you: Just get the Conrad-Johnson gear. You already know you like it and that works for you in your specific home and listening room.

Why risk gong another brand that you don't know anything about with respect to hearing it in your own home that you would "stuck with" if it turns out you don't like it?

"This reinforces the idea that the insight of fellow audiophiles combined with your own long term listening experiences are probably your best guide in determining the gear best suited to your needs."

Exactamundo, my friend. Go with what you know...cheers.

Hi Puma Cat, earlier this evening, as I wrote the text you quoted, your conclusion dawned on me. Nonetheless, it’s very helpful and comforting to have a knowledgeable, helpful person, like you (and the others), confirm that you’re analyzing an issue properly.

I will sleep on things tonight. I’m pretty certain that I know the phone calls I will be making tomorrow. I’ll provide an update. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 04-05-2019, 02:40 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoley3 View Post
Hi Puma Cat, earlier this evening, as I wrote the text you quoted, your conclusion dawned on me. Nonetheless, it’s very helpful and comforting to have a knowledgeable, helpful person, like you (and the others), confirm that you’re analyzing an issue properly.

I will sleep on things tonight. I’m pretty certain that I know the phone calls I will be making tomorrow. I’ll provide an update. Thanks again.

Mike
You're welcome, Mike. Hope the input was helpful in your making an informed decision.

Just so you know, Mike, while I also have C-J gear, I don't have any "skin in the game" when it comes to what gear you decide to go with or not. My thought is that any decisions about gear, as John Darko is really good at emphasizing, should really be made based on direct, first-hand experience with it in your own home in your own listening room, in your own comfortable place and with a relaxed yet involved mind-set. You can't get there at an audio show or even at a dealer showroom. And that is what's going to matter so much more than what Alan Sircom or Roy Gregory say in a review.

When I used to teach statistics in my Design for Six Sigma classes to PhD scientists and engineers, I would always say that stats are a tool to help inform your thinking process and provide INSIGHT into what ACTIONS to take and WHY, but also to be very mindful never to focus on what only is statstically significant if it doesn't impact what is PRACTICALLY significant. The only thing that matters in the REAL WORLD is what is practically significant.

Cheers, mate!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-05-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
You're welcome, Mike. Hope the input was helpful in your making an informed decision.

Just so you know, Mike, while I also have C-J gear, I don't have any "skin in the game" when it comes to what gear you decide to go with or not. My thought is that any decisions about gear, as John Darko is really good at emphasizing, should really be made based on direct, first-hand experience with it in your own home in your own listening room, in your own comfortable place and with a relaxed yet involved mind-set. You can't get there at an audio show or even at a dealer showroom. And that is what's going to matter so much more than what Alan Sircom or Roy Gregory say in a review.

When I used to teach statistics in my Design for Six Sigma classes to PhD scientists and engineers, I would always say that stats are a tool to help inform your thinking process and provide INSIGHT into what ACTIONS to take and WHY, but also to be very mindful never to focus on what only is statstically significant if it doesn't impact what is PRACTICALLY significant. The only thing that matters in the REAL WORLD is what is practically significant.

Cheers, mate!

Hi Puma Cat, today I placed my order for new CJ gear. I have purchased:
GAT S2 preamp, ART 150 stereo amp and a TEA1S2 phono. The GAT and ART need to be built. The three pieces will be shipped at the same time and are expected in about 2 weeks.

I now need to purchase a new rack (or reconfigure my existing one), additional RCA interconnects and a couple of power cords. I will stick with Ansuz for cables. The rack question is currently unanswered.

Thanks for your assistance and that of the others. I’ll attempt to post some pics once the gear arrives.

Mike
Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Hi Puma Cat, today I placed my order for new CJ gear. I have purchased:
GAT S2 preamp, ART 150 stereo amp and a TEA1S2 phono. The GAT and ART need to be built. The three pieces will be shipped at the same time and are expected in about 2 weeks.

I now need to purchase a new rack (or reconfigure my existing one), additional RCA interconnects and a couple of power cords. I will stick with Ansuz for cables. The rack question is currently unanswered.

Thanks for your assistance and that of the others. I’ll attempt to post some pics once the gear arrives.

Mike

Hi Puma Cat , FYI - my new CJ gear should ship Monday, 4/22/19. The pics below are of the GAT S2 as it was being assembled. It and the ART 150 are currently going through CJ’s five day burn-in and final Q/A process. I’ve also ordered 3 additional modular sections for my Raidho rack and additional Ansuz RCA interconnects and power cords. Those should arrive Monday as well. I’m looking forward to getting everything setup and beginning the lengthy burn-in process.

IMG_3687.jpggat3.jpggat4.jpggat5.jpg

Mike
Old 04-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Hi Puma Cat , FYI - my new CJ gear should ship Monday, 4/22/19. The pics below are of the GAT S2 as it was being assembled. It and the ART 150 are currently going through CJ’s five day burn-in and final Q/A process. I’ve also ordered 3 additional modular sections for my Raidho rack and additional Ansuz RCA interconnects and power cords. Those should arrive Monday as well. I’m looking forward to getting everything setup and beginning the lengthy burn-in process.

Attachment 58855Attachment 58856Attachment 58857Attachment 58858

Mike
Gorgeous! Congrats, Mike! I must admit I'm more than a bit envious.

Yes, it took my CT-5 a long time to fully burn-in, the better part of 1000 hours.

When it gets there, its going to be glorious.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Gorgeous! Congrats, Mike! I must admit I'm more than a bit envious.

Yes, it took my CT-5 a long time to fully burn-in, the better part of 1000 hours.

When it gets there, its going to be glorious.

Thanks for the congrats. A number of years ago I bought a new GAT S1. I recall its break-in as lengthy, although after 200 hours or so it seemed to gain most of its sonic signature. A close friend has a CT-5 paired with LP140M monos. The combination sounds wonderful.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 PM

Looking good Mike!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Default GAT S2 and ART 300

My new gear has arrived. Hope to complete setting up today.

IMG_3704.jpg

Last edited by mfoley3; 04-25-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
My new gear has arrived today. Hope to complete setting up today.

Attachment 58911
Wow, congrats!