AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Klipsch Speakers

Klipsch Speakers Power. Detail. Emotion.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post

Systems consisting of big powerful amplifiers and ordinary low efficiency direct-reflecting speakers have the highest level of distortion.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-am...lifier-classes
I finally made it through Op-Amps. Wow. Going through the McIntosh schematics is a whole new ballgame now. Still trying to find a class in tubes - turns out that not many places teach that any more! That is a good summary you posted, though, thank you.

-Geoff
Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie78 View Post
Anyone buys these recently? They are on my short list for new speakers. I listen to 70 percent Metal-punk-Hard-core and 30 percent- Diana Krall, Duke Ellington, Jazz etc...
After about a year with mine I couldn't be happier. When the helicopter comes down in "The Wall" my wife thought there was really a helicopter landing in our yard.

-Geoff
Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
While Class A amps & horns can work very well together, McIntosh has never sold a Class A power amp to the public (indeed, if they've ever made one at all).
McIntosh amps are actually classified as A/AB since the first few watts are in class A mode. This is more than enough power for Klipsch speakers.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
McIntosh amps are actually classified as A/AB since the first few watts are in class A mode. This is more than enough power for Klipsch speakers.
Please provide a source for your info. Believe your are incorrect. No McIntosh power amp I am aware of has the required "sliding bias" required to operate in Class A at any level, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Please provide a source for your info. Believe your are incorrect. No McIntosh power amp I am aware of has the required "sliding bias" required to operate in Class A at any level, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Class AB biased amps generally operate in Class A for some portion of their output depending upon their level of bias. For most AB designs the amount of Class A power is very small but with a higher level of bias current they can be designed to provide a higher level of Class A power. This does not require a sliding or tracking bias arrangement, but is just operating Class A within the limits of its fixed bias level. At higher power outputs such fixed bias amps operate in Class AB.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Class AB biased amps generally operate in Class A for some portion of their output depending upon their level of bias. For most AB designs the amount of Class A power is very small but with a higher level of bias current they can be designed to provide a higher level of Class A power. This does not require a sliding or tracking bias arrangement, but is just operating Class A within the limits of its fixed bias level. At higher power outputs such fixed bias amps operate in Class AB.
Most McIntosh amps operate in class A mode for first ~ 8 -12 watts. As you say, other manufacturers will differ, e.g., Parasound ~ 5 -7 watts.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM

what is the lowest dip in impedance on RF7mk3? RF7mk2 was measured to 3,7 on approx 160hz as the lowest.. Ask because im about to bridge two amplifiers that recommend only speakers with nominal 8ohm rating...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Again...... can you provide a source for this info? Would be most interested to read something official.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Again...... can you provide a source for this info? Would be most interested to read something official.
Thought I'd have to start searching through my EE textbooks... but I found this online for your reference: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...amplifier.html Hope you find it to be a credible source.

Last edited by audio bill; 04-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 AM

Bradley and Geoff, Thank you for the great info, I think that was the final nudge I needed. I too have those 24 k metallica cd's "masters" and "ride the lightning". Thank you for the post. Oh, one question, are you running a sub with the rf lll's for 2 channel? Let me know. Thanks