AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullman View Post
This is why I started the thread. I was hoping for some more information and user experience. Perhaps in time.
Check out the Wilson Audio website. Click on Alexx V and scroll down the page
Old 04-14-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Check out the Wilson Audio website. Click on Alexx V and scroll down the page
Where do you think I learned about this product? These questions still need to be answered. Like Kal said, no explanation.

When will these Acoustic Diodes be available for sale as an upgrade for other Wilson Speakers?

How much will they cost?

How effective are these Acoustic Diodes?
Old 04-14-2021, 06:13 PM

Energy from the enclosure migrates into the V-Material where it is faced with the effective damping properties of this efficient material. The mass of the loudspeaker concentrated onto the very small ends of the spike tips results in significant levels of PSI that prevent detrimental vibrations from traveling upward into the footer. Those vibrations that do travel up the spike are absorbed by the mass of the Acoustic Diode and have to travel through the V-Material to have a chance to influence the enclosure.
Keeping the spike and threaded post separate prevent a direct path for vibrations to travel, or interplay, and are therefore dissipated and absorbed in either the V-Material or the footer housing. This distinctive design, combined with advanced vibration-mitigating materials, provides the best of both worlds; a solid base from which the drivers can launch as well as preventing the transmission of energy from the floor to the loudspeakers.

Keeping the spike and threaded post separate prevent a direct path for vibrations to travel, or interplay, and are therefore dissipated and absorbed in either the V-Material or the footer housing. This distinctive design, combined with advanced vibration-mitigating materials, provides the best of both worlds; a solid base from which the drivers can launch as well as preventing the transmission of energy from the floor to the loudspeakers.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:42 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Where do you think I learned about this product? These questions still need to be answered. Like Kal said, no explanation.

When will these Acoustic Diodes be available for sale as an upgrade for other Wilson Speakers?

How much will they cost?

How effective are these Acoustic Diodes?
All good questions.

The new diodes will not be available until we can satisfy demand from the launch of Alexx V and until after we contact WAMM and XVX owners. This means it coul be a few months before we can supply them to all Wilson owners.

Retail price is $3200 for set of eight.

They measure better than any footer we have had in the factory for analysis - and we own just about all of them. That said, I have heard them only on Alexx V and not in comparison to other aftermarket options.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
All good questions.

The new diodes will not be available until we can satisfy demand from the launch of Alexx V and until after we contact WAMM and XVX owners. This means it coul be a few months before we can supply them to all Wilson owners.

Retail price is $3200 for set of eight.

They measure better than any footer we have had in the factory for analysis - and we own just about all of them. That said, I have heard them only on Alexx V and not in comparison to other aftermarket options.
Thanks for the information! They are expensive, no shock there.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:03 AM

Will they start shipping as standard on new XVX orders?

George
Old 04-18-2021, 05:25 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:

Thanks for the information! They are expensive, no shock there.
Yet, at $3200/8 not as expensive as some alternatives for larger speakers.
Stillpoints Ultra5s msrp: $5592/8.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:29 PM

It would seem that with some modifications this gear could be extended to other speaker brands. Wilson could become a competitor to the Stillpoints. I have been happy with my Pedestals.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It would seem that with some modifications this gear could be extended to other speaker brands.
It has a 1/2"-13 thread which fits my Revels. OTOH, there's no technical information on the WAADs that would inform about suitability.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
It has a 1/2"-13 thread which fits my Revels. OTOH, there's no technical information on the WAADs that would inform about suitability.
I think thread size would be an easy modification. However, it is my understanding that Wilson's all come with a spike plate of varying thickness. There is a piece I call the all thread length that fits up into the spike plate and then down into the diode. I believe that some speakers may not have a sufficient plate thickness.

When I see speakers with elaborate well made bases that raise the speaker a significant height, the base might have a thinner spike plate. I don't know much about how Stillpoints interface with the speaker. Just a thought.

Best

Charles