AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
If I were to upgrade my current Alpha Digital to the Sigma model then would I get better filtering of digital noise? Better DTCD performance? Both? Or something else?
Better conductors.
VTX (virtual tube geometry)
Cohergenic copper
Larger conductor cross-section

In that case of the SIGMA HC - triple XiTron conductor pairs and filter circuits.

New generation CopperCONN connectors - pure copper base metal contacts.
The Alpha uses CopperCONN but these are latest,
Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Well, I guess I am going to have to try one. The new Digital goes onto the upgrade list, right after the upcoming HT speaker cable upgrade.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Maybe we'll see some alpha digitals in the for sale section soon. I'll be first in line!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds

Last edited by scirica; 08-30-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 PM

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Maybe we'll see some alpha digitalis in the for sale section soon. I'll be first in line!
I can see your heart is beating with excitement - a dose of digitalis might help calm it down
Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
I can see your heart is beating with excitement - a dose of digitalis might help calm it down
Oops! Got a little excited there!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

I believe that Acoustic Revive does as well so they may very well be in the same boat. AR took the process a couple of steps farther by annealing the wire and having it shaped with an oval cross section.
They will be in the same boat, although they are a much smaller operation. The guy running AR has close ties to Furutech. And IIRC he has also done some stuff with Oyaide. I lived in Japan for a few years - it's often more about who they play golf with (metaphorically speaking), rather than share ownership.

As Furutech have had a long and close relationship (but not cross-ownership) with Furukawa, it is quite possible they will start using their new wire cast in an inert environment for super low oxygen content and extremely high purity. Likely more important than counting crystal boundaries in copper full of impurities.

They could go to China like everyone else if they want to continue with Ohno CCC, but I am not so sure they will do this.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Yes, we have tested with continuous cast copper. We consider our Cohergenic copper to be superior but we will be using OHNO continuous cast copper conductors in a new line of cables that we will ne introducing in about a month. These will be inexpensive VENOM class products which will include RCA and XLR interconnects and a speaker cable that uses our VTX geometry and STIS interchangeable speaker terminal system.
What is the difference between CDA-101 copper and Continous Cast - OHNO copper?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Whilst Caelin is busy making our new Sigma cables, let me help out

They are two different things, and not mutually exclusive. The first refers to the grade of the copper as a raw material, the second refers to the process of casting the wire.

CDA-101 is an abbreviation of C10100 which is the UNS (Unified Number System) for copper that is 99.99% pure. The UNS rating is supported by the CDA (Copper Development Association). This is less well known outside of the US.

The C10100 rating applies to the raw material - raw copper is bought in ingots, and then drawn or cast into wire if that is what is being produced. C10100 is the purest form of raw copper that can be readily purchased. It is also, no surprise, the most expensive.

Ohno Continuous Cast Copper refers to forming the wire itself, not the raw material it is made from. The Ohno process is based on very slowly drawing the molten raw copper to enter a cast. The temperature is critically controlled by heating the cast to prevent the copper cooling quickly.

This creates one very long crystal structure - if the cooling was rapid, as occurs with most cast wire, the crystal structure will fracture, forming chaotic boundaries. The boundary layers between these crystal fractures affect electron flow.

A direct comparison would be between Cohergenic copper and Ohno CC copper. Cohergenic is a Shunyata word. Caelin has put some references to it on his site, and it sounds to me like he is aligning the crystal structure via electromagnetic attraction during the casting process. This should resemble the crystal structure of silver, funnily enough. And prevent the chaotic crystal boundary layers that occur in typical copper wire. Plus Shunyata also cryogenically treat their wire, which has a further effect although I don't know if this is more to do with molecular bonding than crystal structure.

But with the Shunyata wire, you also know the quality of the copper. Not always the case with cables made with Ohno CCC conductors.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Glisse, you are one smart dude.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Whilst Caelin is busy making our new Sigma cables, let me help out They are two different things, and not mutually exclusive. The first refers to the grade of the copper as a raw material, the second refers to the process of casting the wire. CDA-101 is an abbreviation of C10100 which is the UNS (Unified Number System) for copper that is 99.99% pure. The UNS rating is supported by the CDA (Copper Development Association). This is less well known outside of the US. The C10100 rating applies to the raw material - raw copper is bought in ingots, and then drawn or cast into wire if that is what is being produced. C10100 is the purest form of raw copper that can be readily purchased. It is also, no surprise, the most expensive. Ohno Continuous Cast Copper refers to forming the wire itself, not the raw material it is made from. The Ohno process is based on very slowly drawing the molten raw copper to enter a cast. The temperature is critically controlled by heating the cast to prevent the copper cooling quickly. This creates one very long crystal structure - if the cooling was rapid, as occurs with most cast wire, the crystal structure will fracture, forming chaotic boundaries. The boundary layers between these crystal fractures affect electron flow. A direct comparison would be between Cohergenic copper and Ohno CC copper. Cohergenic is a Shunyata word. Caelin has put some references to it on his site, and it sounds to me like he is aligning the crystal structure via electromagnetic attraction during the casting process. This should resemble the crystal structure of silver, funnily enough. And prevent the chaotic crystal boundary layers that occur in typical copper wire. Plus Shunyata also cryogenically treat their wire, which has a further effect although I don't know if this is more to do with molecular bonding than crystal structure. But with the Shunyata wire, you also know the quality of the copper. Not always the case with cables made with Ohno CCC conductors.
Thank you. A very precise and accurate description.