AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Hometown Section

Hometown Section Local Music Events, Get Togethers & Visits

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Remembering Dan

Default My weekend visit with Dan, aka jdandy...

Good evening gang...this is a great evening as I reflect on my most enjoyable weekend visit with our good friend Dan, aka jdandy. Dan has filled you in partially on my visit this weekend, my second such visit. The last time I visited was roughly three years ago, in early December 2009. neither of us realized it had actually been that long, until I looked at the directions Dan gave me the last time. How time flies! During that visit, I drove up, spent a few hours having good audio fun, and drove home the same day. Since that time, Dan made a similar one-day visit to my place on one occassion. Since it is a pretty long drive (about 3-1/2 hours) this time Dan invited me to come up, spend the day and night, and return the following day. That really sounded like fun, and so we marked this weekend on our calendars.

First I want to say Dan and Marlene are most gracious, pleasant and gracious hosts. I knew from my first visit that this would be great fun. Dan's home is located in a pretty remote area-no need to worry about neighbors when it comes to having audio fun.

I also have to preface by saying that it is hard to know where to begin when attempting to describe what Dan has put together, much less the results. But I will try...

I arrived between 1:30 and 2 PM so we had lots of time left in day one. With the visit being an overnight one, it mad for a nice, relaxing day without having to hurry up, do a few demos and jump right back in the car to come home. We sat and chatted for a bit, then Dan started fixing a nice BBQ dinner, and while he was doing that, I was free to spin discs and play around with his ultra-premium McIntosh-based upstairs system.

Things are very different now, with all of Dan's systems, than they were three years ago. With the upstairs system, gone are the McIntosh MC501 amp, they have been replaced with MC601's. These amps are beauties! The McIntosh C1000C/P two piece preamp ensemble has been relocated to the downstairs studio system (much more on that later), and in its place upstairs is the McIntosh MC2300 Tube preamp. Gone too is the McIntosh MCD500 CD player, that (already fine) player has been replaced with the highly regarded MCD1100. A couple of other extras had been thrown in since my last visit, such as a Nakamichi BX-300 analog cassette deck and a Sony DAT 60ES Digital audio tape machine. Also on proud display is a McIntosh MS750, MR85 Tuner, and two PS Audio Power plant premier power regeneration devices. This is all now beautifully wrapped in a gorgeous Salamander rack, also added since my last visit. On top of the rack is Dan's Micro Seiki Turntable, and two thermal readout devises that keep watch on the MC601's operating temperatures. This is one serious system folks, and I had a great time putting it through its paces. The PMC EB1i speakers sound fabulous. The sound was warm, engaging, with a flawless presentation. The JL Audio fathom F113 sub is dialed in perfectly, doing its job superbly without drawing attention to itself.

After the tasty dinner it was time to head downstairs to the studio. Now I can tell you that, three years ago the studio and audio systems in it were most impressive.

There is the studio control room itself, which is what you see when you first walk in:

But the real treat happens when you walk into the studio listening room.
Three years ago, there were two distictly separate audio systems in here:
A two-channel McIntosh-based audio system, and a separate, McIntosh-based Home theater system. This is still true, but huge changes have taken place.

In the two-channel system, gone is the McIntosh MC2300 preamp, now we have the C1000 C/P in the rack. Gone is the MCD500 CD player, that was replaced
with a second MCD1100 and, as many of you know, that is now being replaced with an Esoteric K-03. The outgoing MC1100 remains in the rack, for the time being.
This system was, three years ago, powered with a pair of McIntosh MC275 V's. Those amps have been replaced with the mighty MC2301 monoblock tube amps. For
those of you who are familar with the McIntosh line, these enormous, gorgeous amplifiers need no introduction.

The Sonus Faber Guarneri mementos of three years ago have been replaced with the much larger, floor standing Sonus Faber Amati Anniversarios, in a stunning graphite finish.

On top of the main system rack is a Michell Gyro Turntable with the latest SME 309 Tonearm, and an Ortofon Cadenza black cartridge. Also tucked into the rack is an Olive music server.

These are but the highlights-you'll have to forgive me if I can't attempt to list all of the peripherals that Dan was worked into the scheme. Dan has left no stone unturned in his quest
for the highest possible sonic performance, with incredible flexibility.

A few photos of this amazing multi-purpose room and the two systems in it:

In my next post I will discuss the sound, and share some select close up photos....

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Remembering Dan

Default Incredible sound...

So how does this incredible system sound? I brought along a bagful of CD's, all music I was familiar with, and of different types, so I could get a feel for how a system of this type would deal with the different genres: from Irish influence (i.e. Loreena McKennitt, Darby Devon) to Pink Floyd. In every case, I was struck by the organic, natural quality of the system-perhaps the most "organic" souning presentation I have heard. Dan had it right when he said the synergy of the MC2301 amps and the Amati Anniversarios is literally jaw dropping. The warmth of the sound is simply "delicious", while the soundstaging created by this system is simply amazing. Very often the speakers simply disappear and you find yourself completely immersed, with instruments and voices right out in the space before you.

Dan and I spent about 5 hours in the studio Saturday night playing different types of music, and Dan did some demonstrating of the performance of some hi-res downloads of both 24/96 and 24/192 formats. These demonstrations were very impressive, and has rekindled my interest in pursuing this with my Wyred for Sound DAC-2.

We did, as Dan mentioned, a brief A-B test of the Esoteric K-03 vs. the MCD1100, using the same song from the same CD. As much as I wouldn't want to say it, I did agree with Dan that the Esoteric delivers a more natural, open presentation. It wasn't hard to discern the difference. If I were in Dan's shoes, would I scuttle the MCD1100 for the K-03? I'm still thinking on this one...

Before we knew it, midnight had rolled around, and I had to admit I was getting tired from the long day, so Dan put me up in the studio, and I drifted off while watching the TV and listening to the home theater. Although I brought some DVD's, we were so wrapped up in the 2 channel setup that we never did get around to playing around with the theater very much. If any of you are as fortunate as I to get an invite, you will easily see how this could happen.

Here are a few more select photos:

As to the theater system-out with the MC352, in with the MC452....

This morning, following coffee and danish rolls, we just went back down and did more spinning. Here are some screen shots of Dan's Laptop as he was demonstrating the hi-res capabiltity:

Before we knew it, it was time for me to start hitting the dusty trail. But before I left, Dan sent me home with an unused Blu-ray player with practically no miles on it. This will help me get another hi-def rig going.
Dan, you are the man!! I had a most enjoyable time, and I thank you and marlene for your kind hospitality, and for the awesome demonstrations!

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Remembering Dan

Default And then there is Gus.....

And....last but certainly not least, what would a visit be without a visit with Gus? Gus is really a nice, peaceful and friendly animal. He was a bit shy with me at first, but came around quickly. I enjoyed seeing him again....

Thank you again Dan, Marlene, and Gus!!

Pete

No. 35

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Pete.......That room sure looks familiar.

Your photos look great.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-31-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Pete,

I know it was a fabulous time and all, but you're starting to stutter.

Just spit it out. We're on pins and needles here.

Happy New Year Folks,

Bob
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM

Dan....Can you impart a few adjectives for Pete please...
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 AM

It is so nice to hear of these types of visits!!!! More details please......
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Pete,

I know it was a fabulous time and all, but you're starting to stutter.

Just spit it out. We're on pins and needles here.

Happy New Year Folks,

Bob
Come on guys....you know why this is done....

Pete

No. 35

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Pete.......That room sure looks familiar.

BTW, it was a pair of MC275 MkV amps running in mono on your first visit.

Your photos look great.

Dan....I knew they were a pair running in mono; I wasn't sure if they were the IV or V. I have made the clarification/correction.

Pete

No. 35

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Pete.......I can guarantee you I had as much fun as you. I don't get a lot of visitors here in rural north Florida so I am always pleased when I do. You took more photos than I realized. Thanks for posting them. Next time up we'll focus a bit more of the home theater and surround sound system in the studio. That's always a blast, too. I sure enjoyed your visit.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A