AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Cooking a steak on cast iron skillet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvC0b_HtQMg
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 PM

http://www.cookwarediary.com/using-c...ass-top-stove/

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-to-...atch-the-glass

https://www.facebook.com/LodgeCastIr...type=1&theater

https://www.hunker.com/12498609/why-...ass-top-stoves

It seems u can, especially w enameled exterior castiron. With regular u have to polish or to be careful not to slide it on the glass - even lodge on fb says don't slide it on the surface.

The gaggenau cooktop is kinda cool. U put a round control magnet and spin it to control the heating pads.

I kinda like it so want to keep scratch free as long as I can.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:24 PM

I don't do anything with cast iron. Cooking bacon I put it on the large burner put in the bacon and let it go. No need to move it. It cooks evenly like an induction is supposed to do. Same with steaks. Put in some butter coat the inside of the skillet and bingo. Great steaks. 10 years of experience with the best kitchen cooktop I've ever owned.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Cooking a steak on cast iron skillet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvC0b_HtQMg

That is what I use when U don’t use my firewood bbq, the only big problem in my opinion is the thickness of that steak, none whatsoever, too thin for my taste.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
That is what I use when U don’t use my firewood bbq, the only big problem in my opinion is the thickness of that steak, none whatsoever, too thin for my taste.

Way too thin. Just a demo video. Cooking 2 18 ounce NY strips on my induction using a cast iron skillet turns out a high end steakhouse product. Cooked evenly. That's the beauty of induction.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Way too thin. Just a demo video. Cooking 2 18 ounce NY strips on my induction using a cast iron skillet turns out a high end steakhouse product. Cooked evenly. That's the beauty of induction.

I get it’s a demo, but showing a thicker steak would look even more appetizing and juicy.

Don’t get me wrong, I use the same cast iron skillet and same brand with induction as well.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 PM

Dirty steak is a thing also...
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Induction cooktops a breeze to cleanup. Any all purpose kitchen spray, paper towels and bingo.

We use a cast iron skilled every day on our induction cooktop. Breakfast. Cooking steaks, pork chops etc etc

I don't think you know as much about induction cooktops as you think you do. I've had one for 10+ years. Thermador.

Interesting. Neighbor has a subzero/wolf/etc repair business and most of what I know came from his warnings about it’s care and use when he installed my parents. The warning of using the cast iron was scratching/cracking the glass to not that it wouldnt/couldnt work. Not sure what your cast iron skillet weighs but my 12” lodge skillet is just over 8lbs, staub 12” grill pan is just over 11 lbs and my staub cocotte is 17lbs. IF you’re really careful and don’t move it around, I don’t see why you couldn’t use it, but for the average person it’s def not recommended for daily use. I pick them up, slide around, tilt up and drop down carelessly, throw in the oven, throw back on stovetop, etc...I don’t want to have to be gentle when lifting a hot/full 9qt container filled with simmering liquid (full is just about 20lbs).

The all purpose sprays work fine till something hits the side of your pan, drips down, burns in between...like I said above, if you’re a neat cook, a glasstop (induction or electric) is fine. But remember it’s not just the stovetop surface but also the pan surface you have to keep perfectly clean. If you’re the type that moves around pans, shuffles, spills and abuses their range like a commercial environment then gas is a better choice...then again I’m not a home cook and my professional culinary background, catering company, and short stint at owning a food truck def gives me a biased opinion on pushing equipment to it’s limits. I agree that it CAN be done by stand by my analysis on recommendation on ideal usage of each type.

I have an 1800w countertop induction plate and use it for long/low simmering, holding a specific temp or just boiling water when stovetop space is tight. I can flambe too onsite when there’s adequate ventilation (use a lighter to start the flame). Induction is a nice tool to have, but it’s not an essential tool for me, and one I use to compliment my primary gas range.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 AM

The problem with induction is you cannot get high heat temperatures. With either gas or electric you can get cast iron pants to 750 degrees F easily for searing measured with an IR thermometer but tops out at 450-475 for induction, at least on one of my friend's induction stoves.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
Interesting. Neighbor has a subzero/wolf/etc repair business and most of what I know came from his warnings about it’s care and use when he installed my parents. The warning of using the cast iron was scratching/cracking the glass to not that it wouldnt/couldnt work. Not sure what your cast iron skillet weighs but my 12” lodge skillet is just over 8lbs, staub 12” grill pan is just over 11 lbs and my staub cocotte is 17lbs. IF you’re really careful and don’t move it around, I don’t see why you couldn’t use it, but for the average person it’s def not recommended for daily use. I pick them up, slide around, tilt up and drop down carelessly, throw in the oven, throw back on stovetop, etc...I don’t want to have to be gentle when lifting a hot/full 9qt container filled with simmering liquid (full is just about 20lbs).

The all purpose sprays work fine till something hits the side of your pan, drips down, burns in between...like I said above, if you’re a neat cook, a glasstop (induction or electric) is fine. But remember it’s not just the stovetop surface but also the pan surface you have to keep perfectly clean. If you’re the type that moves around pans, shuffles, spills and abuses their range like a commercial environment then gas is a better choice...then again I’m not a home cook and my professional culinary background, catering company, and short stint at owning a food truck def gives me a biased opinion on pushing equipment to it’s limits. I agree that it CAN be done by stand by my analysis on recommendation on ideal usage of each type.

I have an 1800w countertop induction plate and use it for long/low simmering, holding a specific temp or just boiling water when stovetop space is tight. I can flambe too onsite when there’s adequate ventilation (use a lighter to start the flame). Induction is a nice tool to have, but it’s not an essential tool for me, and one I use to compliment my primary gas range.
We've been using 3 different cast ion skillets on our induction for 10 years without any problems. No scratches. You just leave it alone while it's doing its thing. I'm sure if you started picking it up and sliding it back and forth and up and down you might scratch it. Same thing would happen with an electric glass top smooth top. Induction has even heat which means you don't have to move pots and pans back and forth while cooking.