AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:41 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well, you can just put a bucket out front in the driveway and a sign that says......”Taking donations for audio equipment”.

- Buck

Glad I am in a different neighborhood so our buckets don’t compete.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-09-2020, 06:49 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 PM

It was really a great day at the show. Super excited about the DAC and superkomputer. Now, I just have to get everything home, get the room built, and get it set up.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:51 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
It was really a great day at the show. Super excited about the DAC and superkomputer. Now, I just have to get everything home, get the room built, and get it set up.

...and invite your buddies over for an evening of listening!...
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-10-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Regarding the digital vs analog, you need to determine how much you will actually use the vinyl rig. It's a lot of work and hassle to do vinyl but it is also rewarding. As for the cost.. I don't think you need to buy a gold finger to be very very happy. That's overkill for your first setup IMHO. You can put together a great analog setup for much less.
when I got my Mcintosh in the first place, the system of my dreams was vinyl based...as that's what I grew up on and that's what all my fond memories of music were predicated on (I no longer have all my vinyl albums...or cds for that matter - a long story )...

but as I start to think about cleaning, maintenance, searching for the 'right' pressings, etc....I am starting to really question if that's the right answer for me.

Agreed on the Goldfinger...but I really am enamored with the CA Master Innovation
Old 02-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
when I got my Mcintosh in the first place, the system of my dreams was vinyl based...as that's what I grew up on and that's what all my fond memories of music were predicated on (I no longer have all my vinyl albums...or cds for that matter - a long story )...

but as I start to think about cleaning, maintenance, searching for the 'right' pressings, etc....I am starting to really question if that's the right answer for me.

Agreed on the Goldfinger...but I really am enamored with the CA Master Innovation
I grew up with vinyl. Never liked it. Way too much trouble and never liked the sound. Vinyl lacks bass. Every time you play a record you wear the groove. So the sound changes every time you play it.

Also record scratch and record maintenance. Vinyl very unpredictable. You don't play a record for a year and then play it. Surface noise has crept in. Where did it come from? What did I do wrong?

IMO, far better to attempt to achieve the "liquidity" of vinyl with top notch digital playback. As I said vinyl is flawed to begin with. Vinyl lacks bass. It simply can't produce a solid 25-30 Hz note.

I stopped cleaning cartridge needles and placing tonearms on records years ago. Question: how much tracking force on average is the top quality arm now requiring? When I stopped it was 1-2 grams. Has it changed? Does anybody know?

Last edited by Charles; 02-10-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:34 PM

Well, you know what opinions are like. Let me give you mine. Vinyl does not lack bass, thank you very much. Perhaps your experience has convinced you of that, but that does not make it fact. I've got records that have been played many many times that sound as dynamic and as good as they did when new. The frequency range of vinyl exceeds that of Redbook CD playback. The only time you can hear any vinyl groove noise on a good record and with good playback gear, is between songs and that only at very high volumes. With many records you'd be hard pressed to hear groove noise, except at the very very high volumes. You're welcome to come hear my setup, here in Round Rock, TX and verify for yourself.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
Well, you know what opinions are like. Let me give you mine. Vinyl does not lack bass, thank you very much. Perhaps your experience has convinced you of that, but that does not make it fact. I've got records that have been played many many times that sound as dynamic and as good as they did when new. The frequency range of vinyl exceeds that of Redbook CD playback. The only time you can hear any vinyl groove noise on a good record and with good playback gear, is between songs and that only at very high volumes. With many records you'd be hard pressed to hear groove noise, except at the very very high volumes. You're welcome to come hear my setup, here in Round Rock, TX and verify for yourself.
What is your system? What is your tracking force? What is your turntable/arm/cartridge? I'd be particularly interested in your tracking force, not to make any counter point but just to know how/if things have changed.

For example, I don't think vinyl can handle the dynamic range of a motion picture sound track like Aquaman. Of course most everything I say is just opinion. But it is a fact that every time you play a record, the grooves wear a little and as the grooves wear, the sound must change, unless I'm missing something.

Having said that I'm sure that vinyl has improved a lot. I'm sure that vinyl bass of today is adequate for most music but not for all. Vinyl is not going to do justice to notes 30 Hz and below at very high volume, IMO. A lot of folks have subs and want to hear these notes at high volume.

p.s. This may be why many have both vinyl and digital playback, i.e. to experience the best of both. I think I just made your point.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-10-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Guess I'm becoming a bit of a geezer myself , but I'm with slowGEEZR on this topic! To answer the question from Charles back in the day higher end cartridges were made with very high compliance and could therefore track lightly often around 1 gram or so. Modern cartridges are now of more moderate or low compliance and typically track from 1.5 to 2.5 grams, but that's just an estimate and there will always be some outliers.

I run a Nottingham Dais turntable, Origin Live Enterprise-C arm, and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. This setup tracks at 2.5 grams, and has a nude mounted Replicant 100 stylus which maximizes vertical contact area with the groove. That allows it to track with an eerie level of silence, since it contacts surface area of the groove which hasn't been contacted (or damaged) by other more basic stylus profiles. More advanced stylus profiles also allow higher tracking forces with less wear since their weight is distributed over a significantly larger contact area. Precise setup is more critical with more advanced stylus profiles.

Vinyl has a much wider bandwidth than you might think. There have been some recordings of vintage organs down to their 16 Hz pedal, and if the recording is properly mastered it is reproduced in its full glory on vinyl. Some Direct to Disc recordings of Virgil Fox come to mind as examples of this. In the high frequencies finer cartridges are known to have extension up to 40 KHz (CD4 masterings used the first 20 kHz for the front channels and from 20 to 40 kHz for the rear channels!) Try to get that extended frequency range on a CD but it can't be done, since it's physically limited by Nyquist's Sampling Theorem to less than half of the 44.1 kHz sampling frequency or ~22 kHz.

Record cleaning techniques have of course evolved over the years as well, so while you may remember vinyl playback as being noisy with endless pops and clicks that is no longer the case. If you have LPs properly stored and cared for it can be relatively noise free other than if you hit a scratched or damaged section of the album. Thorough cleaning on an appropriate LP cleaning machine is only done periodically, with just a simple dusting using a carbon fiber brush before each play. It's not as difficult, time consuming, or as extensive of a ritual as some would have you believe. The sound can be quite captivating!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 PM

With every improvement I make to my digital chain I am getting closer to the sound of my vinyl rig. With the NAS, server, cabling, and DAC I am in for about half the cost of my vinyl rig.

I’m not sure I’d recommend a deep investment in vinyl playback with digital getting so good.

My best sounding source is still the very best vinyl pressings I own, but the digital stuff is catching up very quickly.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v