AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2591 View Post
I am planning on auditoning a C-5 next week. I have been waiting the past few weeks for the C-5 to be broken-in. I am going to listen to CD's as well as some hi-rez music I have burned to DVDs. Based on Serge's comments, I am looking forward to this.
Please report back on your impressions.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:46 PM

I share Serge's impressions with the Ayre products. I have listened to the C5 and C7 quite a bit and the QB-9 a few times, all with Wilson Sophia 2's. All are characterized by a top to bottom coherency, openness and sense of ease. I was on vacation Wed and stopped in and listened to the QB9 and Sophia's being driven by an ARC Reference 110 tube power amp and Ayre KXR pre. The ARC definitely added a measure of warmth that was very addicting. Not too much, just a touch to that side of the neutral line that made things very, very nice. While it added a little warmth it didn't detract from the detail and dynamics. I could easily live with that system. That same dealer is having a digital audio special tomorrow so I'll be playing with iTunes and that setup a lot more tomorrow afternoon.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 PM

my wife liked the Esoteric DV-60 over the Ayre C7 but not over the C5, and liked the EAR cd player over both of the Ayre's. She didn't know the prices.

It's weird with the Esoteric it was like someone left the high frequencies on all the time. The Ayre didn't have that issue. The first thing you notice is the smoothness of the Ayre but that is replaced with just how dynamic it is. For me the Ayre C5 was a lot more addicting than the Esoteric though the Esoteric had a richness of sound that was enticing too.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc2 View Post
my wife liked the Esoteric DV-60 over the Ayre C7 but not over the C5, and liked the EAR cd player over both of the Ayre's. She didn't know the prices.

It's weird with the Esoteric it was like someone left the high frequencies on all the time. The Ayre didn't have that issue. The first thing you notice is the smoothness of the Ayre but that is replaced with just how dynamic it is. For me the Ayre C5 was a lot more addicting than the Esoteric though the Esoteric had a richness of sound that was enticing too.
Did the C5 have the new MP filter? Makes a difference!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Did the C5 have the new MP filter? Makes a difference!
That was right before the change up. My dealer was kind enough to let me borrow the C5, while he was working on my turntable. It was quite fun to have it in the house even for a couple days.

Mark
Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
To those of you who know the Ayre sound, is this an accurate description, or was I mostly hearing the sound of the room?
I have not yet had the benefit of having the new MP version of the C5xe in my system and from what Serge has noted it is a winner and an improvement over the older unit.

I am not sure what the Ayre sound is supposed to be but when I compared the original C5xe for two weeks to my Esoteric X03-se it was not as tight in the bass nor did it convey the details on the music as well as the Esoteric unit.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I have not yet had the benefit of having the new MP version of the C5xe in my system and from what Serge has noted it is a winner and an improvement over the older unit.

I am not sure what the Ayre sound is supposed to be but when I compared the original C5xe for two weeks to my Esoteric X03-se it was not as tight in the bass nor did it convey the details on the music as well as the Esoteric unit.
The Ayre unit does not force detail or have an exaggerated tight but dry bass. The Krell Evo 505 I had in my system excelled in detail, slam and tight bass but ultimately sounds impressive and less easy on the ears, relaxed and natural like the Ayre. If you want to be "impressed", there are better units than Ayre for that for sure. If you want a more natural sounding presentation, the Ayre delivers. As always, the choice boils down to preference.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
By the way, there are two settings on the back of the Ayre CDP, "Listen" and "Measure" .
That's interesting. I guess they also could have called it " long term enjoy" and "short term impress"
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:

The new MP filter goes a long way to eliminate the digital artifacts that exist with the D to A process such as to eliminate the pre-echo and post-ringing which does not occur with analog or real life musical waveform.

What you can expect from Ayre is that it sounds open, detailed, airy and very smooth.
That is welcome news. I am just in the process of ordering the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 AM

icebreaker,

From all the reviews and the Ayre reputation you have purchased a nice DAC.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Dave