AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Some people think they are too aggressive, but I don't. I enjoy their intensity. EMI did not always imbue them with warm sound, so perhaps that adds to the perceived aggression.
I enjoy their energy. Telefunken did a good job recording them. I have not heard their EMI recordings. I have the older analog recordings from Telefunken.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I was at that very Prague Spring festival for 10 days in May 1990. At the time I was a graduate student studying musicology at Washington University in St. Louis and attending a seminar on Bohuslav Martinu during the spring 1990 semester. Many of us in the seminar traveled to Prague with our professor to attend a musicological conference celebrating the 100th anniversary of Martinu's birth. The university paid for our plane fare on a grant. I stayed in an architect's home in Prague near the old town square, paying $11 for the entire time. I remember going into the square to get a great lunch of half a chicken, potatoes, and a very large glass of Pilsner Urquel for less than a dollar.

I attended so many concerts and operas in those 10 days I cannot even tell you whether I was at that one with Kubelik, but I might have been. I do recall at least one orchestral concert, several of chamber music, and three nights of opera (including Martinu) in a box at the Royal Theater (the same one that premiered Mozart's Don Giovanni in the 18th century). My professor (Michael Beckerman) was an honored guest of the state, since he is one of the foremost musicologist of Czech music. That's why we got a box. We also travelled to Polička in the Bohemian countryside to visit Martinu's birthplace.
Awesome! Would have loved to have been there even if I'm not overly exited with Martinu's music. But I'm sure his day will come to my ears as well!

/ptr
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
Awesome! Would have loved to have been there even if I'm not overly exited with Martinu's music. But I'm sure his day will come to my ears as well!

/ptr
Try Martinu's Symphony No. 6. It is really quite good.

Bohuslav Martinu, Symphony No. 6
Václav Neumann, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Supraphon 1110 3584 ZA

Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Try Martinu's Symphony No. 6. It is really quite good.
I believe I have the Complete Martinu Symphonies with Neumann in some pile on the floor , I'll give them a try again when My one-a-day Tchaikovsky Adventure is over!

/ptr
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Listened to this Schubert tonight. Christian Gerhaher is one of my favorite voices among current artists.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GerhaherMullerin.jpg (56.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I just listed this in another thread as one of my two favorite Christmas recordings, and I am also now listening to . . .

A Proprius LP, recorded in 1976 in the Oscars Church, Stockholm

Cantate Domino

Oscars Motettkör (Oscars Motet Choir) - Torsten Nilsson, Director

Oscar Church Organ - Alf Linder, Organist

This is not only the finest choral Christmas recording I've ever heard, but is also one of the best choral recordings period! It has been said many times that this is probably the best coral/choir/organ recording ever made. A true audiophile classic and a real treasure.

Not typical Christmas carols and mostly not music normally associated with Christmas, sung in Swedish, so it is suitable for year-round listening by anyyone, whether religiously oriented or not.

Available in a variety of hi-res formats from Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, and other sources. I have several copies of the LP and haven't tried the CD, SACD, or K2HD Master versions, which have each received high praise.

This is a gorgeous recording and should be in everyone's collections as a "best of" and as a demonstration disc.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 11-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Cantate Domino

Oscars Moteukö (Oscars Motet Choir) - Torsten Nilsson, Direcor

Oscar Church Organ - Alf Linder, Organist
Indeed a true Classic!

Julian, a small spell check of Your Swedish: Motet choir is actually spelled "Motettkör"...
I guess that Swedish is not a language that is often spoken or written down there in Dixie!

/ptr
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM

This post is number Eight Thousand in the Classical Music Thread . . .

Thanks to all for making this one of the most valuable and most informative threads in all of Audio Aficionado.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr View Post
Indeed a true Classic!

Julian, a small spell check of Your Swedish: Motet choir is actually spelled "Motettkör"...
I guess that Swedish is not a language that is often spoken or written down there in Dixie!

/ptr
Noted and changed with thanks to Ptr!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Continuing Yesterday's Smetana Exploration.

Jean Sibelius - String Quartet in D minor 'Voces intimae' Op 56
Bedrich Smetana - String Quartet No 1 in E minor 'From my life' & String Quartet No 2 in D minor
Dante Quartet
Hyperion CDA67845 (2010)

Lovely intimate quartets in heartfelt versions by the Dante Quartet.

/ptr