AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm looking forward to exploring your recommendations!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . The Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I

Glenn Gould - Solo Piano, recorded about 50 years ago and released by Sony on CD in 1994.

Quote:
It's rather amazing today, when recordings of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier practically fall of the shelves, to recall just how unusual it was back in the 1960s for a pianist to undertake to record this amazing work. It's probably fair to say that until Glenn Gould got his fingers around it, Bach's music was used for teaching purposes more than anything else. What Gould proves in this essential set is that Bach is decidedly not just a threat to hold over the head of budding pianists but a joy to listen to. One of Gould's very greatest recordings. --David Hurwitz
I really enjoy the Well Tempered Clavier and Gould did it extremely well. This is an excellent recording and one I have listened to a good many times over the 20+ years I've owned it.

Book II completes the set and is excellent also.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Default CPE Bach: Magnificat

Here is a recent acquisition...

Bach, C P E:
Magnificat in D, Wq. 215 (H772)
Heilig (Te Deum Laudamus), Wq. 217 (H778)
Symphony in D major, Wq. 183/1 (H663)
Elizabeth Watts (soprano), Wiebke Lehmkuhl (alto), Lothar Odinius (tenor) & Markus Eiche (bass)
RIAS Kammerchor & Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, Hans-Christoph Rademann

...which recently won the 2014 Gramophone Award in the Baroque Vocal category. CPE Bach is a neglected composer who is recently getting some recognition for his really enjoyable compositions. This performance has plenty of energy and is a great listen. The recorded sound is fine (7/10).
Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
CPE Bach is a neglected composer who is recently getting some recognition for his really enjoyable compositions.
+1
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Lazic, Dejan - piano
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Petrenko, Kirill - conductor

Here is a review, with which I entirely agree. The body of the review encapsulates my thoughts exactly. I wondered what the hell was going on in the opening Allegro - having grown up with Richter's I was scratching my head and thinking - this doesn't sound like the Rach 2 I know...but Lazic I agree began to hit his strides in the Adagio and it became more immersive after that. The band is particularly good. Very tight. Kirill is of course superb at the helm.

Anyone got the Andrei Gavrilov/Riccardo Muti version from the 80's, before Gavrilov retired from the public eye? Would love to find a copy of that: Edit - found one on mdt.co.uk.

Quote:
Review by James Leonard [-]
Is the opening Allegro of Dejan Lazic's performance of Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto from May 16, 2008, a failure or a fake-out? At the start, Lazic seems overly restrained and out of step with tradition. The famous series of introductory piano chords are a simple crescendo, the first theme is almost inward, and the march at the development's climax is a tad held back. It's not that one could doubt Lazic's ability: his roiling arpeggios, crashing octaves, and racing arabesques are ideally articulated. But one might, based on the evidence of the opening Allegro, question his commitment to this romantic warhorse.
Lazic begins to show his hand in the central Adagio sostenuto, which broods deeply at its start, takes flight in its climax and cadenza, and then unexpectedly pulls back into itself at the close. This brief efflorescence predicts the concluding Allegro scherzando's electrifying volte-face. At last, Lazic spurs on the work and he rides it to glory, tearing through thickets of thirty-second notes, bolting over barrages of eight- and ten-note chords, and charging with reckless courage through the colossal coda to emerge victorious. Aided and abetted by the talented Kirill Petrenko and the stalwart London Philharmonic Orchestra, Lazic's Second surely deserves to enter the pantheon of great Seconds.
As a generous and appropriate coupling, Lazic has added Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux, the set of solo piano six works published just prior the concerto, in beautiful studio performances of great strength and greater sensitivity. Channel Classics' super audio sound is vivid and colorful, with a wonderful sense of place in the live recording.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 09-04-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Arrow This Set of Mozart Symphonies is a World Class Bargain! 👍👍👍

Listening to . . . . Mozart - Symphony No. 1 from the box set
Mozart The Symphonies
Prague Chamber Orchestra - Sir Charles Mackerras, Conductor - Volume 1

Also on this disc are Mozart's Symphonies 3, 4, 5, 6. "55", 7, 8, and his Symphony in F major - K19a.

This symphony, written by Wolfie Mozart when he was a wee lad of EIGHT years old . . . is probably better than the symphony I wrote when I was 8. In fact, it is probably as mature sounding as a lot of symphonies I listen to that were written by really old men.

Kidding aside, this is very nice music, not nearly so complex or mature sounding as Mozart's later stuff, but very pleasant to listen to.

Now for the sound of the complete Mozart Symphonies from which this disc is taken .. it is really excellent. Sir Charles Mackerras was a superb conductor and worked magic on this little orchestra from Prague.

THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS SET OF MOZART'S SYMPHONIES IS THAT IT MAY BE HAD FROM AMAZON - TEN (10) DISCS FOR THE PRINCELY SUM OF $30.34 (USD) OR $3.00 A DISC - AND IT IS AN EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT SET. Amazon.com: Mozart The Symphonies: Music

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Early morning on what's shaping up to be another beautiful day in the PNW

Listening to
Copland - Third Symphony
"Aaron Copland conducts The London Symphony Orchestra in his Third Symphony"
Everest Records, 24/192 reissue

I love Copland and this is one of my favorites. This is a brilliant performance, and excellent sound to go with it.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 09-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Listening to disc 1 (Symphony 1, 2, 3) of this set:

I own quite a few complete sets of B's symphonies, and a lot of albums with one or 2 symphonies.
I consider this Blu-ray box as one of my favourites already.
Listening to Symphony 4 (on disc 2).

I don't know how it is for you guys, but Ludwig's symphonies always make me feel a little better...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Life is beautiful

We couldn't stop listening to Beethoven...
Symphony 5 (with an encore from Haydn) and Symphony 6 "Pastorale".
This is seriously good.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post
I will have to check it out. The full orchestra can be quite stunning; a wall of very complicated sound. It is one of my reference recordings. There is tremendous complexity in the large passages and the recording captures the detail. I find that a lot of very good systems could not keep things cleanly separated. If I had a complaint is would be that I think the engineer boosted the some of the quite parts. Given the range, I understand why the did it. But I'd love to hear a more balanced version. On the 4th movement, I come down decidedly for its inclusion. There is some real magic. There is a good video on the Berlin site with Simon Rattle talking about how it was reconstructed. A bit long (20m) but worth it. Maybe a little morose, but I find the symphony particularly engaging when I consider that Bruckner knew he was dying when he wrote the piece. I think you can hear him wrestling with his mortality and fate.
Thoughtful review - welcome to the classical thread.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2