AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-16-2021, 06:42 PM

Default New Tung-Sol KT170

Has anyone tried to use the new Tung-Sol KT170 tube in place of the KT150 in their ARC amp? PrimaLuna is one manufacturer that's using this new tube.

From the PrimaLuna blog:

Due to the success of the KT120 and KT150 tubes and the popularity of these tubes with High-End Audio manufacturers, the Tung-Sol KT170 tube has been developed to provide a beam tetrode with even more power capability. The Tung-Sol KT170 has a power dissipation of 85 watts allowing amplifiers using a pair of these tubes to reach power output levels in excess of 300 watts.

The Tung-Sol KT170 has an original shape glass bulb that was designed specifically to maintain the highest vacuum and dissipate heat when the tube is operated at high power levels. The Tung-Sol KT170 also has an equipotential cathode for increased reliability and to effectively amplify audio frequencies in the output stages of High-End Audio equipment.

The Tung-Sol KT170 is the largest and most powerful tube in the 6550, KT88, KT90, KT120, and KT150 series of audio tubes.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:18 PM

KT 170s are super expensive, while not Western Electric 300B nose-bleed expensive of course, but still, $150-ish or so per bottle is steep. KT 150s, their going rate is right around $100 per bottle. Yeah, it's great to have the biggest and baddest, but my pocket book can't take the stress. KT 120s at around $110 or $120 for a matched pair is about my speed, especially when I need 8 matched pairs.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BlindMice View Post
KT 170s are super expensive, while not Western Electric 300B nose-bleed expensive of course, but still, $150-ish or so per bottle is steep. KT 150s, their going rate is right around $100 per bottle. Yeah, it's great to have the biggest and baddest, but my pocket book can't take the stress. KT 120s at around $110 or $120 for a matched pair is about my speed, especially when I need 8 matched pairs.
Right there with ya. Just a note that I use KT120s in my C-J LP70S; they are an improvement sonically on the originally spec'd 6550s and they are very, very durable. My first set lasted me a solid 10 years.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 AM

I’m waiting for the KT200.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.