AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 12-10-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
I shipped it to the west coast authorized service center. They have been nothing but kind to me, doing everything they could to try to get it covered under wtty. They seem to be a very reputable business, authorized service for a ton of high end brands.

As I said before, it sucks, but that is part of the gamble buying in the used market. For the most part I have done well, I don't always come out ahead, but often do. I bough a ML #331 for $1,800 and sold it for $2,300 6 months later a year ago. I bought a pair of Mirage M3SIs for $750 in 2009, sold them for $800 in 2020 after buying the Moabs. etc.
28 capacitors and 32 transistors does not sound like a “repair” but a total rebuild to me.

I was a bench tech many years ago so I know the difference between troubleshooting down to a faulty/damaged part and whatever that is.

a. The H-series amplifiers have many output transistors. The No 531H, No 532H, and No 533H have 16 output transistors per channel. The No 535H has 12 output transistors per channel.

https://www.marklevinson.com/on/dema...No533H_FAQ.pdf
Old 12-10-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
28 capacitors and 32 transistors does not sound like a “repair” but a total rebuild to me.

I was a bench tech many years ago so I know the difference between troubleshooting down to a faulty/damaged part and whatever that is.

a. The H-series amplifiers have many output transistors. The No 531H, No 532H, and No 533H have 16 output transistors per channel. The No 535H has 12 output transistors per channel.

https://www.marklevinson.com/on/dema...No533H_FAQ.pdf
I understand and kind of had a similar feeling. I emailed my contact at Harman, asking how a relatively new amp could have so much wrong with it. I haven't got a reply. I am guessing he might have taken some heat for telling me I had wtty. I think I am not his favorite person right now, he won't respond to me.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Retired

In things like this I find the telephone is much more effective than is an e-mail, which is very impersonal and is easy to be brave about things (like saying "no - not under warranty"). What difference does the sales mode make? If AC sold on eBay should make no difference. Its just another marketing outlet for gear.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-10-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
In things like this I find the telephone is much more effective than is an e-mail, which is very impersonal and is easy to be brave about things (like saying "no - not under warranty"). What difference does the sales mode make? If AC sold on eBay should make no difference. Its just another marketing outlet for gear.
I agree ... if it was sold to an authorized dealer this year and you bought it from that authorized dealer months later ... it’s absolutely shameful for that not to be warrantied for any reason. To use eBay as the reason not to warranty is just an excuse. So sorry you’re having this experience.

George
Old 12-10-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Point taken. But when I bought it, I knew the "diminished" wtty status. I only found out afterwards it's back story. I just don't have the mental energy to deal with it anymore. So many other "bigger" battles to deal with at the moment.

I put together what for me is an end game system, splurged more than I ever have by quite a bit. Kind of a "mid life crisis" buy before my ears get any worse. I just want to have it back and enjoy it and not argue with anyone else... If I had to spend ~$1,500 more than I thought in the end, so be it.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:03 AM

Well, they replaced a few parts....

Last edited by brad1138; 12-19-2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:49 AM

Default Ml 532

I feel real bad for you I had a problem with ML on a brand new unit that I bought from a ML employee the only reason it was fixed is the employee stepped in to make sure it was fixed under warranty.
I hate to say it but ML is just a name only they do not build there own gear it's sub contracted out and for service it's all email BS what do you expect from Samsung!
ML buyer's beware!
I don't mean to sound harsh and offend any owners but companies who treat customers like that deserve to fail!
Next time buy a Pass Labs product they will show what customer service is all about that is if you have a problem.
Happy Holidays
AJ
Old 12-19-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Well, they replaced a few parts....

So how does the repaired amp sound? Happy?

George
Old 12-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I'm sorry to hear about your amp. I owned one and used it for four years without issue. Over 20yrs I have owned much of their gear and only had one failure (335 amp) that was fixed under warranty. I have spoken at length with the ML sales rep. and know their gear is built and 100% tested in their Shelton Con. facility. Their reliability test lab is very similar in nature to what I worked in doing military electronics.

It might be worth your while to push the issue with A.C. and ask them to share the repair cost. That being said I understand the "load" you are carrying, many of us have experienced similar situations.

I hope things get better and you enjoy a merry xmas with family and friends.

Last edited by tdelahanty; 12-20-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Blown & Injected

Depending on which state you live, Harman may have no choice in honoring the warranty. Warranty laws vary state to state and although they may have a policy on internet sales voiding the warranty, as you bought it from their sales agent, their beef would be with them.