AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 12-05-2016, 06:06 PM

Default New drivers for Vivid Giya G2

Hi Vivid friends.

Due to dents on D26 and D50 drivers I decided to replace all 4 with the new upgraded ones used in the G1 Spirit. Physical difference is the grid in front of the dome, and the build height of the voice coil. The last offers a slight improvement in efficiency, and the grid offers well needed protection.

Not exactly cheap, but I had to change the damaged ones, and why not go for the latest and greatest...

Replacing new D50 tweeter in the tapered tube

New Vivid drivers in place, with the new Vivid logo in front (lower)

Vivid Audio Giya G2 Arctic Silver
Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Life is beautiful

Well done!
I was not aware that Vivid had new drivers for the G1.
Do you notice an improvement of the sound?
In the B1 Decade, the new drivers and other changes made the speaker better overall.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Go Dawgs

Man those things look sweet, Vivid is definitely on my short list when it comes time to upgrade from the Avalons.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-06-2016, 02:59 AM

Congratulations SOA, it's good to see a positive outcome to your driver problems.

Bart, I saw Dic a couple of months ago, he told me that the G1 Spirit is an active ready version of the G1, at that time there were only two pairs in existence.

The B1 Decade was originally conceived to be a cosmetically different version only, to mark Vivid's 10th anniversary. Dic was uncomfortable with this, he thought that the new version should be more than that. He already had a cabinet design that he'd done for the original B1, but production was underway, so it was never used. To this design he added the bass driver from the Giya G4, and the B1 Decade was born.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:50 AM
Life is beautiful

Thank you for the clarification Colin.
I know Dic is really enthusiastic about active speakers.
He might develop this further.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM

It is interesting to read that Vivid has continued to develop the product.

I am more of an enthusiast than a more typical owner in that for me the B1 was a real stretch to afford. Given the fragility of the drivers it is reassuring to know that replacement and possibly even an upgrade is possible should the worst happen to my speakers. After a fairly "happy" warranty claim with the good folks who provide support in Australia about a year or so ago i have been trouble free, which is just as well as i have now moved out of warranty. My B&W804s at the rear of my integrated 2 channel and Home theatre are almost guaranteed to be in service into their second decade. I am hopeful that my Vivids with their intentionally fragile drivers remain unmarked and will continue to provide good service as well.

From time to time i do wonder if it is possible to physically clean the Vivid domes without risk of damage. Considering over 3 years use they look fine, but a little TLC would be good but i don't trust myself without a careful known technique. I have been tempted to use a boar bristle pastry brush ( like the one that belongs to the cat....short story illustrated by my avatar, he stole it from that back of the kitchen draw and made it his as it seem to taste great. it goes everywhere with him, often found in the dinner bowl or water dish). Ok, i wouldn't dare use his for a number of reasons but a fresh one would seem to offer a delicate cleaning action to safely remove dust from the preciouses ........maybe.

The new golf ball drivers look way more robust/protected but at the same time i am aware that even a speaker cloth or the wire covers on my 804s tweeters impact on the sound. The B&Ws keep their covers on however. I can't image such robust covers are completely transparent.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 12-06-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Thank you for the clarification Colin.
I know Dic is really enthusiastic about active speakers.
He might develop this further.
He did say that he couldn't hear any difference between the active and passive G1s.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
.From time to time i do wonder if it is possible to physically clean the Vivid domes without risk of damage. Considering over 3 years use they look fine, but a little TLC would be good but i don't trust myself without a careful known technique
I remarked to my wife that the Vivids were always free of dust, she told me that was because she regularly removed the grilles and dusted them, using a fluffy duster
I've now taken over cleaning duties for on the Vivids, although it's not so regular.
The fluffy duster is the one that comes in a refill pack, and slide onto a plastic handle. They work well, and, so far, no damage.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremayne View Post
I remarked to my wife that the Vivids were always free of dust, she told me that was because she regularly removed the grilles and dusted them, using a fluffy duster
I've now taken over cleaning duties for on the Vivids, although it's not so regular.
The fluffy duster is the one that comes in a refill pack, and slide onto a plastic handle. They work well, and, so far, no damage.
Be careful though...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Be careful though...
Indeed Bart, extremely careful