AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 02-09-2022, 03:11 AM
Life is beautiful

Andrew, an honour to have you here!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-09-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQuint View Post
This response is a few weeks late but I just saw the post(s) and did want the chance to engage with the forum on some points regarding rooms and speakers—especially when the conversation can happen in reasoned and civil tones, as is usually the case here.

A couple of comments were made about the size of my listening room, in terms of the space being large enough for 801s. Certainly, the latest version of the Bowers & Wilkins flagship will work well in a much large space than mine. But many audiophiles with a more typical domestic listening environment will want to know if the speaker's a consideration. I've formally reviewed about 30 loudspeakers in this room (and have tried out a few others) and I have a pretty good idea of what will work at this point; so does Robert Harley, who assigns 90% of the products I review. Manufacturers generally do their "due diligence" to assure that they aren't setting a product up for a negative assessment by arranging for it to be heard in an inappropriate setting. So, I can assure you that there's been an informed decision made about bringing a given big loudspeaker to my room.

Nominally, my listening room is 15' x 15', which doesn't sound promising for a larger speaker—but all 15' x 15' rooms aren't created equal. Here's my view of why mine worked out well with the 801 D4s.

• The ceiling is high, and it varies in height, from 10' to 11'6".

• There's a 9' long hallway leading off from one side, even with the right front loudspeaker, as well as other asymmetries/irregularities to the room dimensions. I've positioned GIK diffusers in the middle of the front wall. I usually measure the in-room frequency for each visiting loudspeaker with a Dayton OmniMic system and there haven't been disqualifying room problems—significant modes, etc. I use that information to most effectively dial in a subwoofer, if one's to be used.

• I enjoy relatively near-field listening. I played in orchestras (and rock bands) when I was young, and this audio perspective gives me some of that participatory sense.

Obviously, there's a limit in terms of how large a speaker can go into my room, and I've turned down projects based on my understand of those limits. Clearly, Wilson XVX's or Von Schweikert Ultra 9s don't belong here. But, especially given the specifics of my 15' x 15' room and my listening practices, I feel that the new B&Ws were not mismatched to my space, and that other interested audiophiles with a similar situation should be dissuaded from investigating further. After all, I'd say my review was a positive one.

Thanks for hearing me out. And if anyone's ever in Philly and wants to hear the room (with my usual speakers, Magico M1s) drop me a note and we'll find a time!

Andrew Quint
Senior writer
The Absolute Sound

Hi Andrew, welcome, I guess you mean Magico S1's instead of M1's ?
Old 02-09-2022, 08:04 AM

Thanks for taking your time to respond on this forum which is greatly appreciated.

I am curious how far your seating position was from the speakers? You mentioned in your review you were only 8 to 9 feet away. I read that B&W claims you should be at least 9 foot 10 inches away for optimal integration between the drivers for best sound and would appreciate your comments on this. You mentioned that you like to listen in the near field and you found yourself “leaning in to fully engage with the music”. I am wondering if this is due to your seating distance from the speakers?

Can you also comment on how much tow in you used and if you tilted the speakers forward based on the tweeter height in relation to your ears at your seating position?

From my experience all of these parameters considerably changes the sound at my listening position with my 802 D3’s in house.

Last edited by Greg Gale; 02-10-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the forum Andrew, thank you for giving us your insight!
Old 02-09-2022, 04:32 PM

Default More on 801 D4 placement in a small-ish room.

Sad to say that the 801 D4s are just a fond memory. But my best recollection is that my ears were 8.5" from the front plane of the front plane of the speakers.

When I angle loudspeakers in toward the listening position to achieve the best imaging, I work with a friend using a white noise track on endless repeat. We keep changing the angle until there's a discreet "blob" of sound located centrally and when one moves his head from side to side, there's an imaginary boundary crossed where the character of the noise changes. This tedious exercise does seem to correspond to the most continuous and specific imaging when music is played. A good point to start the process, we've found, is having the speakers aimed in a way so that imaginary lines from the middle of the tweeter cross just in front of the listener's head.

I do attempt to adjust a speaker's spikes not just for leveling but to be sure that, as much as possible, the tweeter are aimed at ear level. I'm certain all of you do as well.

The "leaning in" was my clue that I needed a more robust amplifier to get the 801s to sound their considerable best. My experience was the same with my Berning Quadrature Z monoblocks that are rated at 200 wpc. (Although all 200 wpc amps aren't created equal, of course.) It was only when I borrowed the Tidal integrated that the sound was as authoritative, and the bass was fully controlled. (The room frequency sweeps were quite different with the Pass XO 80.6s and the TIDAL Intra, with some messiness in the lower octaves nearly completely eliminated.) This isn't the first speaker I've had this problem with and, as a result, I just sold the Bernings and have a pair of TIDAL Ferios coming in a month or so. They ought to handle just about anything.

My main speakers are neither Magico M1s (which don't exist) or S1s (which I have for rear speakers when I listen to m-c music. They're M2s.. Sorry about that.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Thanks for clarifying, Andrew. I did not comment before, but I was confused because I could not quite believe that Absolute Sound would have reviewed a pair of speakers in an inappropriate room. Cheers
Old 02-10-2022, 12:06 AM

Hello Andrew and very glad to have you on AA. I read your comprehensive review and thought it was informative, well written, and honest. After reading it and thinking about it, the conclusion I came to was that it had to be your room, since the speaker is rated at 8 ohms and goes down to 15 Hz. It should not need a subwoofer. It should be relatively easy to drive. The roll off beginning at 38 Hz was perplexing as was the change in the frequency response with the various amps. When I am evaluating a speaker for purchase, I want to know how it sounds without a sub. It's unusual for speaker like this to require a sub. I do not believe the speaker worked well in your room. Just my opinion.

Best

Charles

__________________________________________________ _
Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest
New gear on order: McIntosh MC3500 MK II mono power amp, one per channel; custom granite slabs to set my MC3500 MKII’s; 3 AS125 custom made McIntosh amps stands
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport. Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic. WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection. New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes. Thor is now off my floor.
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC); custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; MR87 tuner; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.

Last edited by Charles; 02-10-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:32 AM

Default 801 D4 powered by Denon AVR X8500H

Hi,

The 801 D4 are on it's way. Can they be powered by the Denon AVR X8500H?
Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Caesar
Old 07-05-2022, 03:40 PM

Caesarius, welcome to AA. Huge congrats on your 801D4s! They are tremendous speakers and worthy of a flagship designation.

Although the Denon AVR X8500H has all the bells and whistles, its power may not fully maximize all the performance you’ve paid for in the 801s. In my opinion, the 801s will definitely benefit from gobs of power. If you have or are considering the Denon AVR, I’d suspect you have other configurations in mind.

Lots of friendly, experienced, and expert AAs here so I’m sure they will chime in.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:30 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Caesarius… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES