AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 12-15-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Here is a very good current review of the PMC MB2 SE. It provides more detail about why PMC speakerts are different from other transmission line designs and the advantages of transmission line over bass reflex.
I didn't find any useful information to distinguish the PCM implementation from other transmission lines despite the assertions.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I didn't find any useful information to distinguish the PCM implementation from other transmission lines despite the assertions.
Kal, would you mind providing the maker and model of transmission line speaker you believe equals or betters PMC?
Old 12-15-2020, 10:31 PM

I wasn't making a comment on the speaker but on the lack of useful information in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Kal, would you mind providing the maker and model of transmission line speaker you believe equals or betters PMC?
I will not respond to this because I do not have a high opinion of PMC in general. All I will say is that I believe that I have built better ones in the past.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 12-15-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:03 AM

@PHC1
I wonder how your D-06u sounds with your 590 AXII, I have the same cd player and currently use it with, like you a PL DP Tube amp. I run MB2SE in my main system, currently powered by ARC Pre LS10SE and Pass XA25 power amps that already sound wonderful despite the apparent lack of power. The XA25 also grips my Twenty26 very well too. They're my wife's favourites.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
I am now a officially a pmc fanboy!

My previous speakers were vivid giya g3 followed by wilson

Sasha 2.

I was ignoring pmc with the wrong notion that they were below

The hierachy sound wise as compared to my previous speakers.

If we go about audiophile stuff like detail retrival, blacker bacground,

Sounstage depth and dissapearing act—my previous speakers

Especially wilson wins, but if you want musicality like just concentrating

To music as a whole hearing everything and freeing you from analizing

The music— pmci mb2 se is off the chart!

I am so enarmored with this speakers that i no longer gets distracted

And just listen and just let my guard down enjoying. No more

Analizing!

I dont feel like i downgraded at all since both ex are much more

Expensive, infact i feel like my enjoyment is a level or two up.

Thank you pmc!!!!

To fellow pmc owners—what brand of cables do you use?

Thank you

Elmer

Elmer

I use Wireworld Eclipse 7 with my PMC MB2 SE.
2CH Room PMC MB2se(2). JL Audio F113(2). McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2). PS Audio Directstream DSD, PowerPlant 20. Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Stradivariv2. Misc: Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS. GIK Acoustics Bass Traps. DIY Computer Audio Transport. Racks. Adona.
TV&Movies PMC EB1i(2), CB1i, OB1i(2). SVS Ultra16(2). McIntosh MC207. Bryston SP4.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:22 AM

Default PMC MB2SE for Home Theatre

Recently, before packing them up for shipment, my wife and I pulled out the couch bed and tucked in to watch a couple of movies on Blu-ray through our Pioneer LX800SE powered by a simple Marantz 8805/8077 powered system and our MB2SE. What a revelation! Super deep bass, great sound, overall precision, the usual wonderful experiences I've heard with these MB's.

Honestly though, since having them, this was the first time I'd wired them up to our HT system. And it was a revelation. Since acquiring them two years earlier, I had them powered by various amps in our changing music systems. Sources were various dacs including PS Audio PerfecdtWave SE DAC (playing MQA Tidal) and Lampizator Amber III SE DAC (playing CD's). Sources including Esoteric K03Xs SE CD player and Oppo 205SE or Pioneer, into three different amps, a Krell KAV 400i that I didn't keep long, it was too smooth, my favorite the PassLabs XA25, but rather too low powered for the MB's, and the Esoteric F05 SE that was great when well fed by good quality CD or streaming signals. Later on, a First Watt M2 made an appearance and was preferred against the XA25 for its lower reach and equal control. But still not powerful enough at all for the MB's.

So I think this is where the epiphany occurred, after tying them up to the 8077's they were suddenly liberated. I had not heard them like that with deep articulate bass, giving plenty of chest impression enough to satisfy and thrill.

So much so, I have kicked out my MX10 KRIX system that requires building in to use the MB's as my simpler HT system for now.

I had wired the MB's up just before this HT experience to an ARC D240 MkII SE. This was pretty good, still not as revelatory as the HT system. Not enough to stop me from using the MB's as my new main HT system, fronts.

They will be combined with an Auro3D speaker set up based around Martin Logan FX speakers to begin with. I have four ML in-ceiling speakers that were installed in our old villa. I plan to try a pure Auro3D layout without them first. I have never been convinced about the mastering of Atmos discs enough to warrant their placement and look forward to upmixing all my Dolby discs.

The MB's do a great HT job, and I may lay two-speaker feeds on the floor, one from the HT and the other from a stereo system to offer a choice of connections. I have a spare Passlabs XP20 to feed that ARC D240 MkII, maybe the junior N50Ae will supply this setup. My experience of the N50Ae shows it cannot be compared with its bigger brother, the N70Ae, and that cannot beat the coaxial connection into the DAC inside the ARC Ref CD9. The output of this final layout is simply another level and has created an endgame setup.

Probably the N50Ae is on the same level as a Blusound Node II...

I look forward to getting the MB's and associated equipment set up back here in Oztralia. Shipping allowing....