AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-12-2021, 09:41 AM

Default New interface for 3.14?

The subjective part of the review notes and describes sonic differences between the different USB outputs on the Bryson, something that doesn’t have any technical explanation.

Maybe somebody from Bryson will chime in and explain why their USB outputs sound different.

In asynchronous isochronous USB, the DAC determines the sound in a properly designed interface.

I’d also note that the reviewer doesn’t mention the music he was using to make these determinations, so it’s pretty difficult to reproduce them.

By the way I have no doubt the reviewer heard these differences, it’s just that they probably actually don’t exist in the physical world.

On the other hand, subtle differences in AES, USB, and S/PDIF outputs may exist and can be explained, especially USB compared to the other serial interfaces.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-16-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
The subjective part of the review notes and describes sonic differences between the different USB outputs on the Bryson, something that doesn’t have any technical explanation.

Maybe somebody from Bryson will chime in and explain why their USB outputs sound different.

In asynchronous isochronous USB, the DAC determines the sound in a properly designed interface.

I’d also note that the reviewer doesn’t mention the music he was using to make these determinations, so it’s pretty difficult to reproduce them.

By the way I have no doubt the reviewer heard these differences, it’s just that they probably actually don’t exist in the physical world.

On the other hand, subtle differences in AES, USB, and S/PDIF outputs may exist and can be explained, especially USB compared to the other serial interfaces.
I must have a vivid imagination too as I also heard the differences in the different USB inputs as well as the differences in the USB cables.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:25 PM

Cool - I’ve heard differences in usb cables, never in a usb output. Maybe USB 2.0 vs 3.0? Another mystery to solve.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-19-2021, 01:13 AM

WOW! I followed this thread and I have kept quiet.... But Bryston has developed a wonderful product on the hardware side. But no one Company can hit ALL home runs. I have one gripe with their software solution, but it's a gripe not a hill to die on. Now onto the users of the BDP-3 hardware. ROON only users this alternative solution isn't for you!!!

When you bought the BDP-3 you took a MAJOR step away from the PC/laptop and its faults this was GOOD. I'm sure you already have iPad or a Android tablet on hand. We'll start there first.... The overall feeling that Bryston interface is lacking. Which is okay... Again not a hill to die on! We can fix that! First go search and read about iPeng for IOS or Orange squeeze for Android . You'll find that both product addresses ALL the lacking functionality that is missing from Moose/Rigelian. I'm not a IOS fan but, I prefer and use iPeng on my iPad mini. Second...... This will send the village into rage mode but.... If your using a music storage device whether it's linux or windows its the same solution. Switch to Logictech Squeeze Server its a music render and database, the BDP-3 has built-in squeeze lite support! Using iPeng and Squeeze together all these thread interface issues simply go away! As you spend more time with this new setup many of the paid ROON features are free on this eco system. Now for my gripe with Bryston software team..... If you're going to take position about MQA which is your right! Then please remove the restriction that won't allow a user to shareplay and squeezelite simultaneously. This way I can switch between Tidal and my server via the iPad. This takes your Company out of the equation of designing a music app. The app would be for basic functions and maintenance only. Then the Bryston BDP-3 would be a homerun.... after instant replay review.

We are Audioaficionado!! Not some mindless sheep that follow the wolves to dinner! We make our own options dam int! I'll gladly help anyone that wants to setup an alternative solution that actually WORKS! I've using Squeeze over 15 yrs and it has been rock solid and stable.

Ken,
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 03-19-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
... read about iPeng for IOS or Orange squeeze for Android . You'll find that both product addresses ALL the lacking functionality that is missing from Moose/Rigelian. I'm not a IOS fan but, I prefer and use iPeng on my iPad mini ...
Interesting! Like you, I'm not much into Apple gear, but I do use an iPad to control my BDP-3. I'm pretty happy with Manic Moose and Rigelian, but I note iPeng is missing one key feature: It looks like there's no free trial. What's with that? I realize the product's $9 cost is trivial - we've probably all wasted more on a disappointing LP or CD - but c'mon, man! Why not give users 30 days to decide?
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:58 PM

Default New interface for 3.14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
Again not a hill to die on! We can fix that!
Thanks for sharing some interesting tips but no need to do either. Bryston is already working on a new interface, which this thread was supposed to be about.

Last edited by AVfile; 03-19-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Thanks for sharing some interesting tips but no need to do either. Bryston is already working on a new interface, which this thread was supposed to be about.
I hope the new interface will also work on BDP-2.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I had a phone call with Bryston on my issue with them on my singular gripe. They did confirm it was a software programming over site on their part and could/should be fixed in the next firm update. They are committed to update their app to the next level. When I mention iPeng to them they knew about the competition they are up against!!! I understand Bryston are focus on ROON support. But before the call ended I pressed upon them not forget support for non-ROON users. Bryston support Squeeze Server out the box and please continue. I hope the new interface give at least the same of level functionality of iPeng without faux device access restriction.

I have a major concern about the ROON eco system it has the feel of DRM!! Napster access with a sweet caveat of ROON collecting a monthly FEE! I feel we must PRESS all hardware manufacture provide the same level system access whether you are a ROON user or not!!!

Ken,
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 03-20-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Interesting! Like you, I'm not much into Apple gear, but I do use an iPad to control my BDP-3. I'm pretty happy with Manic Moose and Rigelian, but I note iPeng is missing one key feature: It looks like there's no free trial. What's with that? I realize the product's $9 cost is trivial - we've probably all wasted more on a disappointing LP or CD - but c'mon, man! Why not give users 30 days to decide?
Well what can I say! If you were a Squeeze Server user it would be no trial requirement. Yes.... it is that good! But please understand without the Squeeze server on the backend you can't access Tidal or Qobuz.

Ken,
Old 03-20-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
I hope the new interface will also work on BDP-2.

Me too. So far they have been good about supporting the older players. Even the BDP-1 is still supported so I think we’re safe with the BDP-2 for a long time.