AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 08-23-2020, 07:21 PM
Listener in Training

Default Yggy first impressions

The Yggdrasil arrived a couple days ago and I finally got my "stuff" together today and put it in the rack. This is a key part of a series of upgrades that includes a new room.

The Yggy is replacing a Benchmark DAC1, 2008 vintage, connecting my Mac Mini to the McIntosh MC2500 preamp. The MC2500 has a very good DAC already, but a pre without a DAC is in my future. The Benchmark had been in storage for a while, and is still a fine piece of equipment, leading to the topic at hand...

The Yggy straight out of the box sounded more "full" - not putting down the Benchmark here, but the best way I can describe this is that the old DAC sounded somewhat thin by comparison. I also hear more detail, especially in the mid range. Have had it on just a couple hours, and only once has it sounded a bit edgy, which might have been more detail showing up on that track. This DAC is widely reported as needing something like a couple days' continuous running to settle in. I look forward to that.

The final test was the WAF - Boss Girl walked into the room and while I was playing the second track with the Yggy, asked "Sounds good, what changed?".

I'd like to thank Tom (W9TR) for his sage advice, and Dan posthumously for his influential review.

Here's a picture of the unit with a little something we picked up in Roskilde years ago that I found when unpacking.

Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-23-2020, 07:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
The Yggdrasil arrived a couple days ago and I finally got my "stuff" together today and put it in the rack. This is a key part of a series of upgrades that includes a new room.

The Yggy is replacing a Benchmark DAC1, 2008 vintage, connecting my Mac Mini to the McIntosh MC2500 preamp. The MC2500 has a very good DAC already, but a pre without a DAC is in my future. The Benchmark had been in storage for a while, and is still a fine piece of equipment, leading to the topic at hand...

The Yggy straight out of the box sounded more "full" - not putting down the Benchmark here, but the best way I can describe this is that the old DAC sounded somewhat thin by comparison. I also hear more detail, especially in the mid range. Have had it on just a couple hours, and only once has it sounded a bit edgy, which might have been more detail showing up on that track. This DAC is widely reported as needing something like a couple days' continuous running to settle in. I look forward to that.

The final test was the WAF - Boss Girl walked into the room and while I was playing the second track with the Yggy, asked "Sounds good, what changed?".

I'd like to thank Tom (W9TR) for his sage advice, and Dan posthumously for his influential review.

Here's a picture of the unit with a little something we picked up in Roskilde years ago that I found when unpacking.

Yes, the Yggy is really good. Robert Harley of TAS wrote an outstanding review of it a while back (2018, IIRC?). I know a number of members here really liked it very much as well. Be mindful that it may sound a bit "uncomfortable" for a while as it burns in; IIRC, it needed something like 200 hours or more to burn in.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:23 PM

You hit the nail on the head as to why I bought a C2300, 100% completely analog. I love my C2300, MC402 and Yggy; I’m looking at new speakers right now, primarily Spatial M3. I’m also looking to upgrade my streamer to a Auralic. I contemplated trending my MC402 for a 452 but I think I’m going to stay.

I love my Schiit so much I thought about buying one of their garage sale Yggy’s.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:05 AM

As @Puma Cat mentions above the Yggy will change during it's settling-in period. If you can drop in with your impressions during this process I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

One day, in a few weeks, it will all come together sonically and you'll know it.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Listener in Training

We had the Yggy on for several hours yesterday, and it seems like the settling in won't be a linear progression. Seems more like a stock index graph where it improves, but has some ups, downs, and pauses along the way. I am pleasantly surprised by the improvement.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
We had the Yggy on for several hours yesterday, and it seems like the settling in won't be a linear progression. Seems more like a stock index graph where it improves, but has some ups, downs, and pauses along the way. I am pleasantly surprised by the improvement.
Yep, that sounds exactly like the burn-in progression.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:

I had a Yiggy and it took about 2 weeks for it to burn in completely. Be patient. It is a fine DAC.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:41 PM

I like the viking ship!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Life is beautiful

Congrats Paul!
Enjoy!

From the picture, I understand that this will go into your kitchen system?!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-24-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Congrats Paul!

Enjoy!

From the picture, I understand that this will go into your kitchen system?!

Ha!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v