AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 06-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
thx for the feedback
corrected a typo when referring to the Anthem gear. It was the MRX500.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKJDH View Post
@cmalak
I am new to this App and it appears that I made a reply to you instead of this thread. Please check.
Your response was posted in the thread with my question quoted in your answer. That's the way to do it when you are responding to someone's specific question. Thank you for your feedback and congrats again on the Focal speakers.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 AM

Bit late to this party. To my ears, the Aria range is voiced quite differently to other Focals - smoother, warmer. Less demanding on positioning than the Electras, and most certainly Utopias. I recall reading somewhere that these are the first Focal's voiced with Naim, given the shared ownership situation.

Whilst they lack a little dynamic punch and transparency compared to Electra Be, they work with everything and everywhere. I bought a pair of Aria 907s as back up speakers just because they are so balanced, and also have Electra 1007Be. I would use the Arias with a cooler sounding amp, and the Electras and 7/8 series with a warmer sounding amp, if that makes sense. I have never listened to any McIntosh amps, so don't know how they fit.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Bit late to this party. To my ears, the Aria range is voiced quite differently to other Focals - smoother, warmer. Less demanding on positioning than the Electras, and most certainly Utopias. I recall reading somewhere that these are the first Focal's voiced with Naim, given the shared ownership situation. Whilst they lack a little dynamic punch and transparency compared to Electra Be, they work with everything and everywhere. I bought a pair of Aria 907s as back up speakers just because they are so balanced, and also have Electra 1007Be. I would use the Arias with a cooler sounding amp, and the Electras and 7/8 series with a warmer sounding amp, if that makes sense. I have never listened to any McIntosh amps, so don't know how they fit.
I'm running the Aria 948's as the mains in an all-Focal 5.1 system. I believe the this is an incredible value in the Focal line. At $5k (less if you have a good friend/dealer), this speaker running off my MX121/MC205 sounds like systems I've heard with speakers in the $10k + range. The bottom end probably lacks the slam of the higher end competition, but the midrange and tweeter output reproduces jazz and Focals with incredible warmth. As mentioned before, other than liking distance from a back wall, these speakers image beautifully in most rooms with little effort. Mine are 2 feet from the back wall, and about 8 feet apart with zero toe-in and they image beautifully. I would consider these a nice step towards the more exotic speakers at 2-3 times the price. Color me happy (for now!).
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM

I powered up my Focal Diablo with many amp like Gryphone encore ,Krell fpb 600,Roksan mono block M1.5,and at last with Mc Ma 7000.one of the best sound and best matching that i ever hear.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Audiophilia Maximus

Default Focal 806V and McIntosh MA5100

The Focal 806Vs paired with my McIntosh MA5100 produces the best natural sound I have ever heard. The warmth of the Mac sound compliments the Focal sound that keeps you entranced in the music.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:10 AM

Do you get a 'pop' sound from the speakers when you power up the amp please? My MA7900 and Focal 936 have this problem and the Mcintosh support said it might due to the high sensitivity of the Focal speakers.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 AM

Don't think a loud pop has to do with the sensitivity of a speaker, this has to do with the amplifier or maybe a bad grounding of the amplifier.

I have not heared the aria's before but the comments above about being warmer then the electra series make me wonder. I used to have an accuphase E-550 driving Electra 1037be and this was a very neutral combination.

The Diablos are fantastic, love the way they can disappear and throw a large soundstage.

Last edited by imprezap2; 01-31-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKJDH View Post
Do you get a 'pop' sound from the speakers when you power up the amp please? My MA7900 and Focal 936 have this problem and the Mcintosh support said it might due to the high sensitivity of the Focal speakers.
Agree completely with Impreza, this is not a speaker issue.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Retired

Indeed........... there is generally a capacitor across the power switch in some manner or another that takes 'surge' when the switch is either turned on or off. Could be bad or a cold solder joint.

Have you tried with another set of speakers to confirm it is only with the Focals? That would be an easy check before going back to McIntosh.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag