AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM

thank you guys for the welcoming wishes.

The speaker actually on loan from the supplier as mine will only be arriving in December for an early Christmas present for myself

Just sharing. My modest system
MC2500
MC275LE mono
PS Power 5
Linn Akurate
Linn LP12 Radikal, Ekos SE, Kandid (arriving next week)
Focal Utopia Scala V2

here some photos

1402904_10152008602463980_124506137_o | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1383703_10152008602468980_1691129953_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Bodhisattva

Oh I wouldn't say your system is that modest DKRM You've got some very nice kit. The new Scala V2's should offer tremendous sound. So my advice is enjoy the music!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrm View Post
thank you guys for the welcoming wishes.

The speaker actually on loan from the supplier as mine will only be arriving in December for an early Christmas present for myself

Just sharing. My modest system
MC2500
MC275LE mono
PS Power 5
Linn Akurate
Linn LP12 Radikal, Ekos SE, Kandid (arriving next week)
Focal Utopia Scala V2

here some photos

1402904_10152008602463980_124506137_o | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1383703_10152008602468980_1691129953_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I run my Scala V1's with MC 275LE monos as well. Bass was nice but after adding in a pair of REL Gibraltar G1's. WATCH OUT!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Oh I wouldn't say your system is that modest DKRM You've got some very nice kit. The new Scala V2's should offer tremendous sound. So my advice is enjoy the music!
Thanks Bodhisattva. Listening to Aaron Neville as I'm typing
Goldmund 32.5, Goldmund Apologue Anniversary, MC1.2kw, PS10, MT5 (Miyajima Zero), Linn LP12SE (EKOS SE, Kandid, Radikal Klimak, Urika), Raven AC3 (Reed 3P, Miyajima Kansui, Durand Talea II, MC Anna), TechDAS Airforce One (Durand Talea, Anna Diamond), ARC Ref Phono 10, Miyajima ETR Mono, Vivaldi DCS, Vivaldi Upsampler, Vivaldi Clock, Valhalla 2 SC & IC, Transparent MM2 Ultra and Reference IC
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
I run my Scala V1's with MC 275LE monos as well. Bass was nice but after adding in a pair of REL Gibraltar G1's. WATCH OUT!
That is awesome Msegal. What speaker cable do you use? I use mcintoshlabs
Goldmund 32.5, Goldmund Apologue Anniversary, MC1.2kw, PS10, MT5 (Miyajima Zero), Linn LP12SE (EKOS SE, Kandid, Radikal Klimak, Urika), Raven AC3 (Reed 3P, Miyajima Kansui, Durand Talea II, MC Anna), TechDAS Airforce One (Durand Talea, Anna Diamond), ARC Ref Phono 10, Miyajima ETR Mono, Vivaldi DCS, Vivaldi Upsampler, Vivaldi Clock, Valhalla 2 SC & IC, Transparent MM2 Ultra and Reference IC
Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

As mentioned in the other post, I am using Shunyata Anaconda SC and Python IC.
I run Python PC from each amp to a dedicated 15 amp fuse. I use a Shunyata AV on the "smalls", linked by Anaconda to wall and Cobra's to components.

Mike
Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
That's nice. You get very full defined deep ends, full mid tones and defined highs where you can actually effortless make out high details, with the McIntosh cables to the Scala. You may get to hear a lot of "different" sounding cables in time, but you will hardly hear anything "better". I have "heard" many cables with the McIntosh and utopia combinations and I have not heard one that's quite like it. The only very different one, that's great for mid and highs is tchernov. You need the reference to compete with the McIntosh.

So here's what I did, I paired McIntosh cables on the bass of the Stella/grande, and tchernov reference on the mid and highs, with excellent results.

Avoiding brand thrashing here, but neither the Network boxed cables nor the flattest silver cables had the wholesome energy, richness, detail of the pairing.

When a guy has the dough to pay for the grande with mc2kw pairing, cost of cables are like a few strands of hairs on his head (unless you are homer simpson), and he was totally unbiased with the work of changing cables done. In fact, he didn't know what cables were used until he told me his preferences.

My dear friend was very glad with the results. And I got a pat on the back. ")

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
That's nice. You get very full defined deep ends, full mid tones and defined highs where you can actually effortless make out high details, with the McIntosh cables to the Scala. You may get to hear a lot of "different" sounding cables in time, but you will hardly hear anything "better". I have "heard" many cables with the McIntosh and utopia combinations and I have not heard one that's quite like it. The only very different one, that's great for mid and highs is tchernov. You need the reference to compete with the McIntosh.

So here's what I did, I paired McIntosh cables on the bass of the Stella/grande, and tchernov reference on the mid and highs, with excellent results.

Avoiding brand thrashing here, but neither the Network boxed cables nor the flattest silver cables had the wholesome energy, richness, detail of the pairing.

When a guy has the dough to pay for the grande with mc2kw pairing, cost of cables are like a few strands of hairs on his head (unless you are homer simpson), and he was totally unbiased with the work of changing cables done. In fact, he didn't know what cables were used until he told me his preferences.

Nice post.

I have been doing some research on the Tchernov cables. They use a Russian mined copper but do not indicate the oxygen content, the significance of which I am not sure.
The insulators range from Teflon, PVC to cotton!
Can you tell me what other cables you have compared the Tchernov to and the differences?
What is the price point of the reference line?

Thanks in advance.

Mike S.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post

Thanks enit. Cool. I am very happy with bass and mid. I think high is too bright. I kept the treble on 0. May be it helps if I take it down to -1.

On separate note, why can't I start new thread? I can't even do intro. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
Nice post. I have been doing some research on the Tchernov cables. They use a Russian mined copper but do not indicate the oxygen content, the significance of which I am not sure. The insulators range from Teflon, PVC to cotton! Can you tell me what other cables you have compared the Tchernov to and the differences? What is the price point of the reference line? Thanks in advance. Mike S.
I'm trying to avoid brands names to avoid starting a war on cables.

The Tchernov Reference has a "quietness" to it that I have never heard in a cable. It must be thanks to the insulation. Tone wise, I could say it's better evenly balanced especially on the mid and highs. What it does with a focal Scala is that the mid range is truly brought out, with more effortless detail than flatter and networked cable counterparts.

The highs will continue its fine harmonics inherent from material and application but they will have more "presence" and "airiness" vs being "bright".

There's energy in the cable when you play dynamic tracks, that often seems to lack in the network cables. The network cables seemed guilty of being "lean" sounding.

I would think that there's more "eq" factors in the flat cables and the network boxed cables than there is in the tchernov.

The removal of silicon and magnesium are some of the conductors removed from the Russian copper. And coppers mined from various parts of the world have different compositions. Oxygen was found to be non-detrimental to the cable. A listening test would show whatever they were looking out for, was seemingly the right way of delivering good sound. I think the prices of the reference line is slightly above the McIntosh cable line, with more variation on lengths and terminations.

The connectors are also good. And wait til you try the power cords. "Quiet" seems to be the descriptive word that comes to mind.