AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
There definitely is Stephen. Tube amps are notoriously low in damping factor yet people describe tubes as sounding more muscular and tube power is different, etc... Obviously you can’t control a speaker’s woofer as good with low damping factor but in those cases where a lower damping factor in not overtaxed by the speaker itself, I am convinced the magic really exists somewhere in that territory of “just right” vs “very dry” bass of over-control of the woofer. If you are hearing the “leading edge” of the transient response such as a kick drum being emphasized such that there is more “skin” and the initial impact but little “body of the drum” that follows, its too dry. I’ve often noticed that with very high damping factor amps with a few exceptions. Could be just my preference but vinyl and tubes and certain SS amps just sound more realistic to my ears when it comes to bass.

It is counterintuitive as the “emphasized” leading edge transients typically sound more dynamic short term but in longer term listening sessions it just doesn’t satisfy musically as there seems to be something missing and that missing component is always the body of the instruments producing lower frequencies to my ears.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
There definitely is Stephen. Tube amps are notoriously low in damping factor yet people describe tubes as sounding more muscular and tube power is different, etc... Obviously you can’t control a speaker’s woofer as good with low damping factor but in those cases where a lower damping factor in not overtaxed by the speaker itself, I am convinced the magic really exists somewhere in that territory of “just right” vs “very dry” bass of over-control of the woofer. If you are hearing the “leading edge” of the transient response such as a kick drum being emphasized such that there is more “skin” and the initial impact but little “body of the drum” that follows, its too dry. I’ve often noticed that with very high damping factor amps with a few exceptions. Could be just my preference but vinyl and tubes and certain SS amps just sound more realistic to my ears when it comes to bass.

It is counterintuitive as the “emphasized” leading edge transients typically sound more dynamic short term but in longer term listening sessions it just doesn’t satisfy musically as there seems to be something missing and that missing component is always the body of the instruments producing lower frequencies to my ears.
For what its worth the Aegir is spec'd at a damping factor of >100. Not real . high, but certainly enough to control the cones. The bass response is very satisfying and "natural" sounding on things like Concert Bass Drum and Organ pedal tones (including the drum skin and "air" associated with both), so I'm quite happy with Aegir's bass "quality" and quantity.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
This probably explains why I tend to prefer tube amplifiers to solid-state. As much as I've liked my Premier 350SA, my much more modestly powered LP-70S has always struck me as more "musical"
I remember being blown away by the “quality” of bass from the puny little 9w Shindo Cortese SET driving the rather large cones of the Tannoy and I’ve had the Sandringhams followed by Kensington’s and all the way to the large Canterbury SE and their large woofers simply came alive with the 9w worth of pure triode SET power. The bass was intoxicating. The much more powerful Audio Research monoblocks did not improve on the bass at all, in fact I preferred the Shindo little guy so I can relate to what you are saying. There is much more to it than specs alone.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
For what its worth the Aegir is spec'd at a damping factor of >100. Not real . high, but certainly enough to control the cones. The bass response is very satisfying and "natural" sounding on things like Concert Bass Drum and Organ pedal tones (including the drum skin and "air" associated with both), so I'm quite happy with Aegir's bass "quality" and quantity.
Aegir sounds like a no brainer for anyone looking to build a system around it.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I remember being blown away by the “quality” of bass from the puny little 9w Shindo Cortese SET driving the rather large cones of the Tannoy and I’ve had the Sandringhams followed by Kensington’s and all the way to the large Canterbury SE and their large woofers simply came alive with the 9w worth of pure triode SET power. The bass was intoxicating. The much more powerful Audio Research monoblocks did not improve on the bass at all, in fact I preferred the Shindo little guy so I can relate to what you are saying. There is much more to it than specs alone.
Yes, there is. Personally, I've never found much correlation between specs and how something sounds.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Aegir sounds like a no brainer for anyone looking to build a system around it.
If you're wanting an amp under $1K (maybe even $2K) look no further - Aegir is a great value :-) Although its probably best to only pair it with speakers that are at least 87dB @ 1 watt input. If you need more power, you can always get two and run mono provided you can send them differentially balanced signal. 80 watts mono should be enough to satisfy most anyone listening to "music". At $1598 for two - I can't think of a better way to go. Then again I have not heard Aegir run as mono blocks. I assume they would retain their easy, sweet and open character, but I don't know for sure. Anyone tried them as monoblocks?
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If you're wanting an amp under $1K (maybe even $2K) look no further - Aegir is a great value :-) Although its probably best to only pair it with speakers that are at least 87dB @ 1 watt input. If you need more power, you can always get two and run mono provided you can send them differentially balanced signal. 80 watts mono should be enough to satisfy most anyone listening to "music". At $1598 for two - I can't think of a better way to go. Then again I have not heard Aegir run as mono blocks. I assume they would retain their easy, sweet and open character, but I don't know for sure. Anyone tried them as monoblocks?
Running in mono often does change the character of the amp just a tad. I still think the solid state devices along with tubes have a sweet spot of operational loads where they sound their best.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Hi Soundmig,
Respectfully disagree (just a little bit! ). My Dyns are 4 ohm nominal and 86 dB @ 1watt and if I were to hazard a guess, the Aegir would drive them to very satisfactory SPLs just fine. Why? Because most of my listening is done at average of approx 70dB or so. I would estimate 85% is between 65-75 dB, and 95% is at 65-80dB. Once the SPLs get past 82 or 83 dB, I'm reaching for the volume control. No way I'd be listening at 87dB (except for very occasional loud transients). YMMV, of course, based on the size of the room, but, when one does most of their listening between 68-72 dB (with notably less than 1 watt of power would be required), 20 watts of Class A power at 8 Ohms and 40Wpc at 4 ohms should be more than enough for most people, most of the time.

Cheers, PC

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-01-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Soundmig,
Respectfully disagree (just a little bit! ). My Dyns are 4 ohm nominal and 86 dB @ 1watt and if I were to hazard a guess, the Aegir would drive them to very satisfactory SPLs just fine. Why? Because most of my listening is done at average of approx 70dB or so. I would estimate 85% is between 65-75 dB, and 95% is at 65-80dB. Once the SPLs get past 82 or 83 dB, I'm reaching for the volume control. No way I'd be listening at 87dB (except for very occasional loud transients). YMMV, of course, based on the size of the room, but, when one does most of their listening between 68-72 dB (with notably less than 1 watt of power would be required), 20 watts of Class A power at 8 Ohms and 40Wpc at 4 ohms should be more than enough for most people, most of the time.

Cheers, PC
The 65-85dB is mostly where my comfort zone for enjoying music is as well Stephen. The 30w or so of Triode power is more than enough in my nearly 30x30 room with 86dB efficient and 6 ohm speakers. On those more rare ocassions where I want to "rock out" a bit, the switch is flipped to Linear mode for about 65-70w from the EL34 tubes.

The Luxman class A on the other hand simply laughs at anything I throw at it.

Power is good, power is nice but not absolutely necessary in every situation.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
The 65-85dB is mostly where my comfort zone for enjoying music is as well Stephen. The 30w or so of Triode power is more than enough in my nearly 30x30 room with 86dB efficient and 6 ohm speakers. On those more rare ocassions where I want to "rock out" a bit, the switch is flipped to Linear mode for about 65-70w from the EL34 tubes.

The Luxman class A on the other hand simply laughs at anything I throw at it.

Power is good, power is nice but not absolutely necessary in every situation.
Fully agree, Serge.

I would love it if Schiit made a sweet little EL34 tube power amp, but I think they are set on solid state for power amps.

I'll bet the Harbeths sound absolutely wonderful with EL34 tubes; I am envious!