AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 06-12-2022, 05:35 PM

I'm a satisfied Audio Desk Pro user, but if I were buying now I'd lean towards the Degritter for the variety of programming options, the removable tank, the ability to use a cleaning solution when necessary, and the price.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-12-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
This feedback may or may not help, I have 2 of the older KLAudio RCMs and they are great units. There is an argument to be made for the Degritter and its ability to use cleaning fluid, however I have cleaned hundreds of 78s that are far dirtier than any sleeved LP you'll come across in my first KLA with great results. You can literally see the funk in the water after cleaning maybe 10 records, this doesn't happen with LPs. So IMO, the usage of cleaning fluid isn't a factor.

The new KLA uses an external water tank (plastic jug), which I think is both a good and bad thing. Bad in that it is more things to hook up and seems like more of a DIY home solution. The Degritter's removable tank is a nice feature and one of the main reasons I have considered purchasing one and selling one of my KLA units.

I'm a fan of KLAudio, their service is great, but if I was just diving in with my first ultrasonic RCM I'd have to lean toward the Degritter. With a dealer discount, it's half the price of the KLAudio. That $3,000+ price delta can buy a heck of a lot of records or a cart upgrade for your TT. Of course this is all just my 2 pennies.
Thanks for the info
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-12-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I'm a satisfied Audio Desk Pro user, but if I were buying now I'd lean towards the Degritter for the variety of programming options, the removable tank, the ability to use a cleaning solution when necessary, and the price.
Thanks
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-12-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I started with the NG 2.5Fi, then stepped up to the NG mini-Pro model. Once US models started to gain traction I did my research. Two models were available then, Klaudio and Audio Desk Systeme. I decided on the ADS Pro since this model worked out the design flaws of the previous ADS model. The dealer accepted my NG mini pro as a trade in which helped with the net due. A few years ago a member here (Goulic?) did a comparison of the KLaudio, ADS and Clearaudio Double Smart Matrix but I do not recall his outcome.
Thanks
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-17-2022, 08:35 AM

I thought KLAudio DQ'd their RCM production a while back. Now they decided to get back in the game?

Their commitment to the business model would be a concern to me. I have my eye on the DeGritter. (But my MO is to buy kit on the cheap whenever possible)
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 06-17-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
I thought KLAudio DQ'd their RCM production a while back. Now they decided to get back in the game?

Their commitment to the business model would be a concern to me. I have my eye on the DeGritter. (But my MO is to buy kit on the cheap whenever possible)
I am leaning more towards the DeGritter myself. I have watched several online reviews on it. The Klaudio while I am sure it is a superb machine, would require some alterations to my closet with the external tank. Will decide in the next week or so. I like that you can add cleaner to the DeGritter if necessary.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-19-2022, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure what would make one think Degritter is any more or less committed to the business than Klaudio. Klaudio stopped making the old units because they couldn't turn enough profit at the price point. They are owned by Koolance which has been around since 2000, Degritter has been around since 2015. I'm not knocking Degritter at all, just giving facts about the businesses.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:55 PM

i use a VPI 16.5. works well; just takes time and effort. i ordered a degritter and used it for a couple weeks. i was not very impressed with it. it leaves smudge marks(amazing how many smudge marks are on new vinyl) since no mechanical action. also the vinyl that had pops before cleaning had same pops after degritter. just feel at that price point and above the unit should have both ultrasonic and mechanical cleaning. will probably go with the new audiodesk pro.
Mcintosh C1100 preamp, Mcintosh Mc462 amp, SF Amati Tradition, VPI prime 21, koetsu rosewood sig, oppo 105, marantz 8802A, sony projector, stewart screen, thiel in wall and ceiling, REL sub, Outlaw surround amps, shunyata 6000 v2, shunyata sigma V2 NR(X2), shunyata sigma V2 HC for denali, transparent ultra gen5 speaker and IC's, ultra gen 6 phono, MIT oracle matrix 50.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I'm not sure what would make one think Degritter is any more or less committed to the business than Klaudio. Klaudio stopped making the old units because they couldn't turn enough profit at the price point. They are owned by Koolance which has been around since 2000, Degritter has been around since 2015. I'm not knocking Degritter at all, just giving facts about the businesses.
For the record, I never made any suggestion that DeGritter was more committed to their business model than Klaudio. My comment was meant solely as a personal observation and nothing more. It is clearly a world class RCM and I don't think there could be any legitimate argument to the contrary.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:31 PM

Just my two cents on the ultrasonic cleaners that I and my audiophile friends have or have had;
-Audiodesk, regular, pro and pro x models, all have failed in one way or another and the support from dealers and mfg. has been poor, one dealer has told us your lucky it lasted that long (regular and pro models), also the mfg. always wants to "blame" the user for premature failures, (failed after cleaning only 50 records, failed after 2 years of non-constant useage, and they also want to charge $2000 to $2500 for a newer model after you paid $4000 for a new one). Come on $4000 for a record cleaner that doesn't last and constantly breaks down!
Degritter- we have used this machine and it cleans well, seems to be well built, and mfg. is good to deal with
KL Audio- while they may build a decent machine back when they were first in business and now, how can you trust that they will "stay in business", since they raised the price substantially and may not sell as many machines at the higher price.
Many of us in the audiophile world have some knowledge of manufacturing and quality control and should not just take the sales jargon of the mfgs., distributors, and dealers without doing due diligence and questioning these questionable machines.