AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
I'm gonna buck the trend here. I'm in my mid-sixties, so I've been into analog for quite some time, built up a modest collection of LP's and a respectable system to play them back on. If I were to consider starting over would I ...... no way !
See now I don't agree. When I got into high end in the late 1980's, everyone told me "If you don't have a large record collection it is not worth it. CDs are the future. Vinyl is dead." Listening to this advice was one of the biggest mistake I ever made. I didn't get a turntable until I was in my late 50's. When I think of all the great listening I missed.

I do agree though that an inexpensive table and cart are not going to out perform a similarly priced CD player. But if you are careful and buy used, you can put together an excellent analogue front end that will out perform digital without breaking the bank.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
See now I don't agree. When I got into high end in the late 1980's, everyone told me "If you don't have a large record collection it is not worth it. CDs are the future. Vinyl is dead." Listening to this advice was one of the biggest mistake I ever made. I didn't get a turntable until I was in my late 50's. When I think of all the great listening I missed.

I do agree though that an inexpensive table and cart are not going to out perform a similarly priced CD player. But if you are careful and buy used, you can put together an excellent analogue front end that will out perform digital without breaking the bank.
Out perform digital ???, I looked at the Op's equipment signature, you're mistaken, no way you gonna do that for 2-3k total budget, your dreaming.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Help with a beginner Vinyl system

Ive been to a persons home that say they have a X amount of money in a turntable and it sounds like crap. 90% of the time people either don’t know how to setup a table properly or think that it’s all ready setup from the factory. I’ll bring my audio tuneup bag with me all the time when I go to hear someone’s system. I’ll ask them how do they think it sounds. Most often they say , well I thought it would sound a lot better then it does. I’ll ask them if I can take a look at how it’s setup and most of the time they say ok
I’ll get my little gadgets out and the first of a few things I find it the cart is out of alignment and the anti skate is either not on or is over weighted After about a hour or so I’ll reset all the things that are wrong with how it’s setup and they are overwhelmed with how much better it is
I’ve taken a 100 dollar TT to one of those home audio meetings with the host having
A system to die for. I will ask him if I could setup my cheap TT on a little table near his system and do the A/B test for his guests, most of them are cool about it and I’ll get it all setup and we will fire it all up. We will put a bed sheet in front of the tables so the people can’t see what’s playing.
After downing this about 8 or 9 times I’ve only had 3 people tell what table was what
And that’s with anywhere between 10 to 20 people at each meeting
What I’m saying is this. Most of the time it’s in how you setup your table that makes the most of what you have. I’ve Seen 10k tables that sound like the gods are singing and I’ve seen tables that only cost a few hundred and sound almost as good. Not saying they sound as good, but pretty close for most people. How many people do you know that have a ultra sonic LP cleaner?
How many people make sure that the table is level? And the anti skate is setup the right way? The list goes on and on
This guy has a very very sweet setup now
If he just wants to get his feet wet, what’s wrong with getting a 300 dollar denon or what ever other brand is at his local audio store? He can buy it and try it out for up to 30 days. If he does not like it. Then return it
And get his money back. If he like it, then start the never ending road of upgrades of carts and weights and cables and all that stuff. You can buy a 300 TT and turn it into a 5k table in no time.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Mikado463, I wasn't clear. A 2 to 3K setup is entry level. Still it can be quite good. But if he likes vinyl and were to upgrade, you can put together an excellent analogue front end without breaking the bank. My analogue rig outperforms my ARC Ref CD7.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:00 PM

Default Help with a beginner Vinyl system

Well,
I really appreciate all the opinions here. I certainly would love an analog system that could keep pace with my digital side, but I'm realistic enough to know that this is not true at my budget. I'm hoping to get close enough to be able to at least enjoy the sound from this level of equipment. My ideal system would be something like a REF2SE or Ref 3 and a VPI prime signature or classic signature with a cartridge, cabling and all...but I cannot go that large for a number of reasons....

So what I think I'm hearing is that, yes it's possible at my budget to get a reasonably good sounding system built up that should sound pretty good to allow me to listen to the 50 or so LPs I have that were given to me. A few are new, most are used, and I know that I'll need some kind of cleaning apparatus as well....

Yes, I feel like now that I'm in my early 50's, that starting from scratch on a turntable journey is a little late in the game, and all the tweaking, cleaning etc sounds like a PITA, but as an audiophile, I feel like I may be missing an opportunity for some listening pleasure from LPs.

The original post was a feeler for whether this idea of an decent sounding LP system is pissing in the wind at my budget, or whether this could be the start of something that could spark further investment down the road, while enjoying the beginner setup. At this price point, I'd hate to get all this gear set up, with all the associated accessories only to realize 3K sounds like crap, and I have to start all over or quit the idea all together...From what I'm reading here, I could be off to a good start, and if I manage my expectations.

This dialog is valuable, and I appreciate the input from all you seasoned audiophiles....
I feel like I'm getting a case of the LUFLU...again...Maybe Santa will be generous this year, under the tree.

Rega, Fosgate, VPI, Pro Ject and Music Hall are great suggestions, I'm pouring over the internet...

I just read a review for the MOFI TT and Phonostage....any opinions on those? Thanks, Pete
IMG_4931.jpg

Last edited by pete6737; 10-28-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 PM

Very nice setup Pete...and you have room for a tt[emoji41]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Very nice setup Pete...and you have room for a tt[emoji41]

Thank you....Maybe I'll win the Powerball and I'll skip the entry level system all together....
Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
Thanks for the input. My Ref5se does not have a Phonostage , so I was hoping to get an inexpensive phono stage that I could consider upgrading if the vinyl thing takes off. So I’m hoping to include the phonostage in the 2-3k. Now I think I’m pushing the envelope!
The Audio Research Ref 5Se that I saw online had a phono jack, maybe it was a newer model sorry for the mix up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audio Research Ref5SE.jpg (27.1 KB, 44 views)
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
The Audio Research Ref 5Se that I saw online had a phono jack, maybe it was a newer model sorry for the mix up.
None of the reference preamps have a phono preamp built in. The jack is just labeled as phono to aid with setup. The front panel displays phono. I think they abandoned that on the ref6, it just has balanced 1, etc, and SE 1, etc, and you can specify your own friendly name for the input on the front panel. I own one, just can't remember for sure.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:39 PM

I am another in my mid 60's and started with vinyl, that was all there was. I usually preferred the sound of vinyl over digital. I had a decent analog set up but one thing that no one has mentioned is how easy to destroy an expensive cartridge. Having done that a few times for thousands each time I finally gave up and went all digital with streaming and Hi-Res. I didn't notice a streamer in your signature. Putting in something like an Aurender will easily compliment the system you already have even if it is only to demo music. Just my 2 cents.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira