AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I hope Serge won't mind this post being slightly off-topic. Personally, I really prefer three-handers to chronographs, though I the love the look of the vintage Speedys.

So...here's my Speedy "three-hander"...my much-loved Sinn 104i (photo by yours truly...)

I get a lot of interest in this piece at Red Bar meet ups...many guys think it's an Omega until I show them its a Sinn.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-14-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I hope Serge won't mind this post being slightly off-topic. Personally, I really prefer three-handers to chronographs, though I the love the look of the vintage Speedys.

So...here's my Speedy "three-hander"...my much-loved Sinn 104i (photo by yours truly...)

I get a lot of interest in this piece at Red Bar meet ups...many guys think it's an Omega until I show them its a Sinn.
Not at all Stephen. Sinn does have attractive styling.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not at all Stephen. Sinn does have attractive styling.
Thank you, Serge.

Yes, they do have attractive styling, but what is more impressive is their level of quality: in design, execution, manufacturing, assembly, regulation, durability, etc.

And Sinn has some impressive technologies e.g. their tegimented steels (1200 Vickers hardness!), submarine steels, tegimented submarine steeels, diapal lubrication-free movements, inert gas atmospheres and CuS04 dehumidifying technology, etc. that literally no other manufacturer has or offers.

All my Sinns run more accurately, more consistently, more reliably, regardless of how often I wear them, than any of my Swiss watches.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Serge.

Yes, they do have attractive styling, but what is more impressive is their level of quality: in design, execution, manufacturing, assembly, regulation, durability, etc.

And Sinn has some impressive technologies e.g. their tegimented steels (1200 Vickers hardness!), submarine steels, tegimented submarine steeels, diapal lubrication-free movements, inert gas atmospheres and CuS04 dehumidifying technology, etc. that literally no other manufacturer has or offers.

All my Sinns run more accurately, more consistently, more reliably, regardless of how often I wear them, than any of my Swiss watches.
Interesting. I'm not up to speed on Sinn but that sounds like they go to great lengths to insure quality, accuracy and reliability.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Interesting. I'm not up to speed on Sinn but that sounds like they go to great lengths to insure quality, accuracy and reliability.
And "precision" and "durability".

Oh, and ruggedness, too...

What can I say? They're German.

I have a phrase I coined for Sinn that would resonate very strongly for anyone that has first-hand knowledge of the brand:

Sinn: No frills, no frou-frou, no f**kin' around.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-14-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
And "precision" and "durability".

Oh, and ruggedness, too...

What can I say? They're German.

I have a phrase I coined for Sinn that would resonate very strongly for anyone that has first-hand knowledge of the brand:

Sinn: No frills, no frou-frou, no f**kin' around.
The only 2 German brands I ever owned were the Lange and Sohne and Glashutte. Lot's of frou-frou and plenty of craftsmanship, "old school", assembled by hand style, from scratch to a finished product. At least the Lange and Sohne are, perhaps not so much Glashutte. Of course that kind of craftsmanship doesn't come cheap and I don't play with watches of that caliber anymore. I'll have to familiarize myself with Sinn.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:11 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
The only 2 German brands I ever owned were the Lange and Sohne and Glashutte. Lot's of frou-frou and plenty of craftsmanship, "old school", assembled by hand style, from scratch to a finished product. At least the Lange and Sohne are, perhaps not so much Glashutte. Of course that kind of craftsmanship doesn't come cheap and I don't play with watches of that caliber anymore. I'll have to familiarize myself with Sinn.
I *love* Länge und Sohne as much as any watchonista, but Sinn's ethos is in a much more real-world use, pragmatic, engineering-driven, hard-as-nails, value-driven philosophy. In many respects they are regarded as the tool watchmaker for tool watchmakers. I'll set up a specific thread with some background and links.

In the meantime, zip over to WatchBuys. They are the exclusive seller for Sinn and Hanhart in North America. And they sell only direct to customers to keep prices down and very reasonable.

In many respects, Sinn is the like the Schiit of the watch industry.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 AM

Hello Serge,

Good choice with the Dark Side Of The Moon.

Owning already some black watches, I went with the Grey SOM, and I love it!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Hello Serge,

Good choice with the Dark Side Of The Moon.

Owning already some black watches, I went with the Grey SOM, and I love it!
Hi Jean-Marc, I did not get it, only tried it on and loved it. Congrats on the Grey, also gorgeous.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
I *love* Länge und Sohne as much as any watchonista, but Sinn's ethos is in a much more real-world use, pragmatic, engineering-driven, hard-as-nails, value-driven philosophy. In many respects they are regarded as the tool watchmaker for tool watchmakers. I'll set up a specific thread with some background and links.

In the meantime, zip over to WatchBuys. They are the exclusive seller for Sinn and Hanhart in North America. And they sell only direct to customers to keep prices down and very reasonable.

In many respects, Sinn is the like the Schiit of the watch industry.
Will check it out, thanks Stephen.