AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2023, 07:49 PM
Famester V1 Famester V1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 244
Default Speaker upgrade opinions

Unfortunately, I have not been able to audition any different speakers lately.
My health has SUCKED!
If anyone can just give me a quick opinion on which way to go .
I have a Conrad Johnson ART 27A amp and concerned that it may not be the proper amp for a higher end of speakers.
From the comments I have read on the forum, I am interested in the following pre-owned and in no particular order:
Wilson Audio MAXX series 3
Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
Canton Reference 3K
The Wilsons are the most expensive (almost double the price) and the other two are fairly close in price.
I currently have a set of Aerial Acoustics 20T V1 in Danish rosewood, which sound great and are beautiful, but I think speakers may be my next step up.
I really need to audition them, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2023, 08:49 PM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is offline
Retired

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 8,367
Default

Your CJ ART27 amp is very much a high-end amp.

While at the opposite end of the size spectrum, my Canton Ref 9K speakers sounded their best with tubes. That being said, not sure if 36wpc is enough for the MAXX, but you could ask what folks think in the Wilson forum here. Same with the other two speakers you mention. Ask in that particular forum.
__________________
Glenn...
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2023, 08:17 PM
Famester V1 Famester V1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Your CJ ART27 amp is very much a high-end amp.

While at the opposite end of the size spectrum, my Canton Ref 9K speakers sounded their best with tubes. That being said, not sure if 36wpc is enough for the MAXX, but you could ask what folks think in the Wilson forum here. Same with the other two speakers you mention. Ask in that particular forum.
Sorry, I apologize.
I didn't intend to say the CJ amp ART 27A was not a high end amp.
It definitely is.
I meant it is not a high WPC amp, and may not properly drive less efficient speakers. I know my Aerials are efficient and sound great, but I always wonder which would be the next step to upgrade the sound quality.
I don't normally listen to extremely loud wall cracking music, but sometimes I do crank it up.
I want to try and visit a couple dealers that are about 90 minutes drive each way. They carry Wilson and several other brands of speakers.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2023, 09:22 PM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is online now
Cool, calm scientist

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
Unfortunately, I have not been able to audition any different speakers lately.
My health has SUCKED!
If anyone can just give me a quick opinion on which way to go .
I have a Conrad Johnson ART 27A amp and concerned that it may not be the proper amp for a higher end of speakers.
From the comments I have read on the forum, I am interested in the following pre-owned and in no particular order:
Wilson Audio MAXX series 3
Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
Canton Reference 3K
The Wilsons are the most expensive (almost double the price) and the other two are fairly close in price.
I currently have a set of Aerial Acoustics 20T V1 in Danish rosewood, which sound great and are beautiful, but I think speakers may be my next step up.
I really need to audition them, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred
Your amp & speakers are fine. I would invest in an Altaira system instead.

Or, keep your amp, and get a pair of the new MoFi SourcePoint 10s and an Altaira system.




I heard the SourcePoint 10s for 4 hours on Saturday, and Andrew has hit another home run.

__________________
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-23-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2023, 08:50 PM
Famester V1 Famester V1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Your amp & speakers are fine. I would invest in an Altaira system instead.

Or, keep your amp, and get a pair of the new MoFi SourcePoint 10s and an Altaira system.




I heard the SourcePoint 10s for 4 hours on Saturday, and Andrew has hit another home run.

Will check it out.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Famester V1 Famester V1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Orlando
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Your amp & speakers are fine. I would invest in an Altaira system instead.

Or, keep your amp, and get a pair of the new MoFi SourcePoint 10s and an Altaira system.


I heard the SourcePoint 10s for 4 hours on Saturday, and Andrew has hit another home run.
FYI: Music Direct/MOFI is offering a free 30 day audition of the MOFI SourcePoint 10 and they will cover the shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOFI.jpg (79.1 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2023, 09:34 PM
Cohibaman's Avatar
Cohibaman Cohibaman is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,577
Default

Andrew Jones, ‘nuff said!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2023, 09:38 PM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is offline
Retired

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 8,367
Default

Made in China. Too much said.
__________________
Glenn...
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2023, 10:10 PM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is online now
Cool, calm scientist

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Made in China. Too much said.
Quality is the result of HOW things are made, not WHERE.
__________________
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2023, 11:30 PM
Cohibaman's Avatar
Cohibaman Cohibaman is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Quality is the result of HOW things are made, not WHERE.


[emoji1360]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2023 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Accuphase - Soulution
Accuphase - Soulution
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video