AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Early Valentine's day gift from Mrs. RaceTripper.

Kenny Dorhanm, "Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia"
Blue Note 1524

Freddie Hubbard, "Open Sesame"
Blue Note 84040

Both on Music Matters 45 RPM vinyl

Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I bought this recording on LP in 1960 and, because it has been played many, many times, and is in pretty sad shape, I'm glad to find it on CD.

Just finished listening to . . . A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra

The Oscar Peterson Trio

Oscar Peterson - Piano
Ray Brown - Bass
Ed Thigpen - Drums

A Remastered Verve recording - recorded in 1959, remastered in 2004

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
If you like the Getz/Gilberto album, you will also like Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd, "Jazz Samba" (Verve)

I have the Speakers Corner reissue, and am waiting for the 45 RPM remaster to be released.

I have the original Verve LP, bought in about 1963 - still play it and still love it. I suppose the re-issues improve on the originals, but the originals cost me about $3.00 and I'm not about to let that much money go to waste.

Bart, you have great taste!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I have the original Verve LP, bought in about 1963 - still play it and still love it. I suppose the re-issues improve on the originals, but the originals cost me about $3.00 and I'm not about to let that much money go to waste.

Bart, you have great taste!
Thank you Julian, you too!
I also like to listen to this one. I even dare playing it into my waiting room:
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Listening to . . . Getz / Gilberto The Original 1964 Release on Verve LP

Stan Getz - Tenor Saxophone
Joao Gilberto - Guitar & Vocals
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Piano

with Astrud Gilberto - vocals

May surprise some people to learn that the "Gilberto" headlined in the title was not Astrud, but was her then husband Joao Gilberto. This recording made Astrud Gilberto famous worldwide for The Girl From Impanema, and Corcovado on both of which she sang on this album.

Astrud later divorced Joao Gilberto and "took up" with her musical partner, Stnn Getz.

Quote:
Getz/Gilberto is a jazz bossa nova album released in 1964 by the American saxophonist Stan Getz and Brazilian guitarist João Gilberto, and featuring composer and pianist Antonio Carlos Jobim. Its release created a bossa nova craze in the United States and internationally. It brought together Stan Getz, who had already performed the genre on his LP Jazz Samba, João Gilberto (one of the creators of the style), and Jobim, a celebrated Brazilian composer (and also one of the main creators of the genre), who wrote most of the songs in the album. It became one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, and turned Astrud Gilberto, who sang on the tracks "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Corcovado", into an internationally celebrated

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I bought this recording on LP in 1960 and, because it has been played many, many times, and is in pretty sad shape, I'm glad to find it on CD.

Just finished listening to . . . A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra

The Oscar Peterson Trio

Oscar Peterson - Piano
Ray Brown - Bass
Ed Thigpen - Drums

A Remastered Verve recording - recorded in 1959, remastered in 2004
This is one of my favorite O.P.s. I have a Polydor Japanese pressing imported by Polygram back in the 80s.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Andrew Hill, "Point of Departure"
Blue Note 84167
Music Matters 45 RPM remaster

w/Kenny Dorhan, Eric Dolphy, Joe Henderson, Richard Davis, Anthony Williams

If you like going even a little outside of mainstream, this album is just pure brilliance. Arguably one of the best jazz dates of the 60s. This is like Eric Dolphy, "Out To Lunch" level of greatness!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Illinois Jacquet - SWING THE THING

Verve HI-FI Panoramic Recording
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-252612062.jpg (17.8 KB, 4 views)
Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM

The Oscar Peterson Trio - NIGHT TRAIN

Verve records V6-8538
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2259750766.jpg (13.1 KB, 5 views)
Cary 308T cd player, Squeezbox Touch, Sonus Faber Cremona M, REL T3 subwoofer, Conrad Johnson ET3SE preamp, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 SE, Fosgate Signature Phono Stage, VPI Scoutmaster II + Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS AUDIO Dectet Power Center, VPI 16.5.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Wayne Shorter, "Juju"
Blue Note 84182

Joe Henderson, "Our Thing"
BLue Note 84152

Both are Music MAtters 45 RPM remasters