AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
While it is true that the Python is supeior to the Cobra, it is also true that you are loosing significant performance by running through the extender. Overall you will get better performance with the Z-PC10.

The VENOM-HC is a 10 gauge cable and we developed the IEC connector for it. This is also a great cable for Devialet at a much lower cost.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure you are correct on the extenders. It was more to try different levels of Zitron power cables to see how the Linn gear responded. All too well.

I will order a couple of Z-PC10, and have already ordered a couple of Alpha Digitals. Which of course will not fit the Linn Klimax DSM, but I have other DACs to try them on.

My issue was that the Linn Klimax amps replaced a Burmester integrated, which was struggling a little in bass definition and dynamics with the load requirements of SF Guarneri Evolutions. In addition, this is a bedroom system and I wanted to get rid of separate DACs, computers, hard drives, etc. And the Linn DSM system is extremely compact in comparison.

The Burmester was being used with a Zitron Python. All signal cables in this system are also Shunyata. The Linn Klimax amps are double the price of the Burmester.

When the Linn Klimax amps are used with Z-Python AC cables, their performance rises above the Burmester in the areas of dynamics and bass definition. Adding the Cyclops improved these areas further, and also significantly reduced a degree of hardness in the treble of the Klimax amps relative to the Burmester.

But when I use AC cables other than the Pythons with the Linn Klimax amps, the performance drops below that of the Burmester amp. My laboured point is that the Zitron power cables, the level of cable used within the Zitron hierarchy, and the Cyclops unit have a more significant impact in this system than the amplifiers. And that makers of good products, such as Devialet and Linn, are crippling the potential of their products in certain systems (depending on the AC environment) with their IEC architecture.

If the Z-PC10s cannot get close to the Pythons with IEC extenders, then I will get rid of the Klimax amps, reinstall Burmester, run it off the Cyclops, and possibly add a Typhon to the second outlet on the Cyclops as I have plenty of noise on my AC line.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM

I hope that it works out for you. I also don't understand some manufacturers decision to hide power inlets or to shroud them. Ditto for the speaker manufactureres that put speaker terminals on the bottom of the speaker.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM

I had Shunyata put a smaller plug on an Alpha Digital for my Klimax DS. It works great with the Linn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am sure you are correct on the extenders. It was more to try different levels of Zitron power cables to see how the Linn gear responded. All too well.

I will order a couple of Z-PC10, and have already ordered a couple of Alpha Digitals. Which of course will not fit the Linn Klimax DSM, but I have other DACs to try them on.

My issue was that the Linn Klimax amps replaced a Burmester integrated, which was struggling a little in bass definition and dynamics with the load requirements of SF Guarneri Evolutions. In addition, this is a bedroom system and I wanted to get rid of separate DACs, computers, hard drives, etc. And the Linn DSM system is extremely compact in comparison.

The Burmester was being used with a Zitron Python. All signal cables in this system are also Shunyata. The Linn Klimax amps are double the price of the Burmester.

When the Linn Klimax amps are used with Z-Python AC cables, their performance rises above the Burmester in the areas of dynamics and bass definition. Adding the Cyclops improved these areas further, and also significantly reduced a degree of hardness in the treble of the Klimax amps relative to the Burmester.

But when I use AC cables other than the Pythons with the Linn Klimax amps, the performance drops below that of the Burmester amp. My laboured point is that the Zitron power cables, the level of cable used within the Zitron hierarchy, and the Cyclops unit have a more significant impact in this system than the amplifiers. And that makers of good products, such as Devialet and Linn, are crippling the potential of their products in certain systems (depending on the AC environment) with their IEC architecture.

If the Z-PC10s cannot get close to the Pythons with IEC extenders, then I will get rid of the Klimax amps, reinstall Burmester, run it off the Cyclops, and possibly add a Typhon to the second outlet on the Cyclops as I have plenty of noise on my AC line.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I had Shunyata put a smaller plug on an Alpha Digital for my Klimax DS. It works great with the Linn.
Thanks for letting me know, Prof. I am not surprised to hear this works very well with the Klimax DS. My first Alpha Digital arrived today, and currently have it on my MSB DAC where it will stay for 4 days or so. But it is already good enough (better than the Cobra even from cold out of the box, just lacks some weight compared to a Python) that I'll follow up on this straight away

Last edited by Glisse; 01-28-2014 at 10:45 AM.