AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-26-2024, 03:01 AM

Default Help with BDP 3, please

I hadn't used my BDP 3 in quite a while, and now I can't get Roon to recognize it at all.

It is turned on, and connected to the internet. It has an IP.

I can play music from my small attached thumb drive using the front panel drive.

I can stream tunes from Roon, but they play on my laptop.

I cannot get to My Bryston, or the IP address, or bdp-3-local or any other such thing as outlined in the manual. I get "server not found", or "server not responding", or "this feature only works with S2.06 or newer". I am running s2.36

I now see the following message:

"Why isn't my BDP running S2.06 or newer not showing on My Bryston?
My Bryston works by comparing the internet connection that your BDP used to register itself with the internet connection your currently using to view My Bryston, if they are different (ie your on different networks) then your Bryston device(s) won't show. They just need to be on the same network and they also need to be on the same network to control the Bryston device.

Well, I'm pretty sure they are on the same network, but I have tried both wifi networks to no avail. The BDP 3 is connected to my router by ethernet. I have two networks because one is an Eero mesh piggybacked off the router supplied by my Internet privider.

Please note that this always worked before, so I am unsure what may have changed. I actually don't remember this "cloud based" software arrangement. Like I said earlier, it's been a while.

I am only moderately computer savvy, but I have spent quite some time trying to figure out exactly which network the BDP is connected to.

I would greatly appreciate any insights anyone here may have.

Thank you.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:05 AM

Oh, yes...My Roon core is an iMac, and I generally control it through my MacBook Pro. They are on the same network and working together properly.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:23 AM

Network issues. I sooooo relate.

I'm currently working through an issue where my ISP (Xfinity) keeps dropping its DHCP server or resetting its DNS. When that happens all my hardwired ethernet lines go down because the IP addresses are lost. I too am on a setup like yours but I use an Orbi Mesh system. ISP > Modem > Orbi > Switches with FOC. Wireless stays up and running but ether goes down. It take about 12 hours or more for the ISP to start issuing new addresses. Very frustrating. I have an Xfinity tech coming out tomorrow.

How does this help you? Probably not much other than you have my empathy.

And what is up with all the acronyms in computers. It drives me crazy.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 01-26-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:53 AM
Retired

Similar problem here (though only on a weekly, or so, basis). I wonder if it isn't Xfinity trying to save bandwidth? If it gets worse I'll look into Verizon, though I doubt if it is any better. Does get tiring having to restart the streamer.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-26-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
... my ISP (Xfinity) keeps dropping its DHCP server or resetting its DNS. When that happens all my hardwired ethernet lines go down because the IP addresses are lost ...
The remedy for that problem and perhaps also for moonhawk's problem is to have all the devices assigned to a static IP address, which can be done in your router's settings.

For moonhawk: try reading the BDP-3's IP address by scrolling from its front panel. You should then be able to enter that address into your browser and access the BDP-3.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
The remedy for that problem and perhaps also for moonhawk's problem is to have all the devices assigned to a static IP address, which can be done in your router's settings.
I don't want to hijack the thread but my understanding is my Netgear CM1150V is a modem only device. Therefore, it has no router and because of that it cannot assign IP addresses. I could be wrong (much investigation, limited understanding) but somewhere a DHCP is assigning my addresses which must be from the ISP. No? Keep in mind I do have a mesh system (access point) after the modem which handles all wireless connections separately and without issues. If the problem isn't between the WAN and my modem I'm not sure where it lies.

2-Channel
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3
Old 01-26-2024, 02:41 PM

Hijacking the thread is fine, if this discussion helps anybody. I have found the IP address on my BDP 3 and tried multiple times to access that through my router, but all I get is server error type messages. Nor does "My Bryston" do anything.

I just checked and the IP is the same as last night. I'lll keep an eye on it to see if it changes.

Acronyms? Tell me about it. I have to look up half the ones you guys have used on this thread.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Keep them coming.

Last edited by moonhawk; 01-27-2024 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
... my understanding is my Netgear CM1150V is a modem only device. Therefore, it has no router and because of that it cannot assign IP addresses ...
I think you are correct and would really benefit from adding a router after your modem. If nothing else, it provides an added level of security. And it lets you assign static IP addresses.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbodiford View Post
Incorrect.

The Netgear CM1150V is a Modem + Router combo box along with a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. This device will perform DHCP - which assigns IP addresses to all devices both wired and wireless.

According to the User Manual, the default private IP address is 192.168.100.1

If you wish to manipulate the settings simply open a web browser and type in that IP address. The default username and password is admin/password
I did some searching on the Netgear community site and found this from one of the so called gurus.

“ The CM1150V is a cable modem. (With added support for a voice device.) It is not a router. A modem will support just one device on the network.

The four ports on the CM1150V are not there to connect a lot of different network devices. They are there to plug into a router that supports "port aggregation".

The idea is that you connect a router to the modem. That router will then handle as many devices as it has sockets, more if you add an inexpensive switch. (Mine has 16 ports.) It will also deliver wifi to your local devices. Modems do not provide wifi.

Netgear's cable modem/routers have model numbers with the form CXXXX. Cable modems are CMXXXX.”

I’ve been on my 192.168.100.1. The interface to me has no router settings. I have since found out that my Orbi is the router for Ethernet (hardwire) and WiFi. When I open 10.0.0.1 (Orbi web browser) all my router settings are there. Still not sure why I’m losing just my wired connections. Hopefully tomorrow the tech might have some answers.

2-Channel

Marantz SR7012
B&W HTM2 D3

Last edited by dkorbal; 01-26-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:04 AM

the IP on my BDP 3 is 192.168.7.213

I thought every device had a unique IP. But then I don't know much about all that.