AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 06-23-2020, 07:55 PM

Default First Gun

Sorry, guys, I know this will a lot less interesting without a pic. I’m just happy to have acquired my first gun and wanted share. Did a lot of reading and YouTube watching over the past six months.

I went with a CZ 75 SP-01.

Haven’t even been to a range yet. Been getting comfortable and familiar with it by handling it and dry fire.

A rifle will be next. Have my eye on Daniel Defense. Anyway, like I said, just wanted to share.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 06-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Those have such a great trigger feel.. I am thinking about getting one, but I would also like to explore 10mm guns (I never owned one of those!)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Those have such a great trigger feel.. I am thinking about getting one, but I would also like to explore 10mm guns (I never owned one of those!)
Yes, lots of praise for the 75s trigger. I hope it doesn’t spoil me as I consider other guns.

I would like to get a 10mm gun as well. That will probably be the route I go when I get a 1911.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 06-26-2020, 01:54 PM
Retired

Good choice. CZ makes excellent firearms. Their CZ 75 custom shop target models have always been appealing for competition.
10mm packs a wallop and recoil, even in a semi-auto. Spend some time with your 75 and see if you can rent or test-fire a 1911 in 45ACP before purchasing one in 10mm. You may be able to shoot a 10mm as many indoor ranges have rental guns and may have one. You may find that the 45ACP is all you want. The Marines are fine with the 45 and the rest of the military with the 9mm. As defensive rounds have become better over the past 20yr, or so, the need for larger cartridges has diminished. Of course, if you are carrying in brown bear country, you can never have too large a handgun cartridge.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 06-26-2020, 05:00 PM

Thank you, Glenn. I really appreciate the advice. I’ll definitely seek one out to try before I buy. You can read about it, watch the videos but until you try it for yourself you have no idea. It’s great to get a perspective from someone with experience. You make an excellent point about bear country too.

For the past six months I’ve been looking to get a new amp (I’ve been slowly rebuilding my system over the past few years). But, you know, it’s interesting how content I’ve been with my modest system since this firearms passion got ignited.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 06-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Retired

Am sure there are a good number of clubs/ranges not far from you in NE Ohio. You might enjoy shooting 'bullseye pistol' with your 75 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRA_Precision_Pistol. During the warm weather they are often shot as club matches after work. If you are into running around and shooting from behind obstacles, there are a bunch of disciplines like IPSC, etc., for that. https://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/. The good thing about most all of these at the club level is you can just introduce yourself to the guy who is running the match and ask him to explain what goes on and he will generally hook you up with an experienced person to shoot with and show you the ropes. At the club level they are generally low pressure and great fun.

Just a bit more info on what is now called 'precision pistol' (was always bullseye to me). There are essentially three (3) classes. .22RF, most any centerfire (your CZ75 in 9mm would be excellent) and 1911 in 45ACP. For the serious competitors, the S&W Model 41 is 'the' .22RF to shoot, with a few others from Hammerli and such also being popular. I shoot a Ruger 678 target model, but I'm not very competitive (not the gun's fault). Revolvers (affectionately know as 'wheelguns') are also legal. For centerfire I shoot an S&W 586 with 38Spl target ammo. For a 1911 I shoot a stainless S&W that, like the 586, has been 'breathed on' by a pistol-smith.

It is difficult to beat a .22RF pistol for inexpensive & fun shooting. Whether plinking or shooting targets they are about a easy as it gets and great training for the "heavy" rounds. Ruger https://ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html & Browning https://www.browning.com/products/fi...roduction.html both have several target models that are a great place to start. Unless you have a reason for a 10mm/1911, you might think about a .22RF for your next gun.

If you are mechanically inclined, as in don't mind taking your 1911 apart (about like giving it a proper cleaning) and changing springs & barrels, etc., folks like Kimber offer .22RF conversion kits https://www.kimberamerica.com/catalo...caliber=187&q= for the 1911 so you can shoot it as a 22RF as well as 45ACP or whatever you have your 1911 chambered. Get a Kimber Stainless II target in 10mm or 45ACP & the conversion to .22RF and you have both.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 06-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:10 AM
Keeping it real since '75

You could also take a look at the Sig P229 as you can swap barrels between 357, 9mm, and 40 SW. 357 is very close to 10mm but is way cheaper and much easier to get than 10mm. Only downside (for some people) is the trigger as its a double action/single action.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Am sure there are a good number of clubs/ranges not far from you in NE Ohio. You might enjoy shooting 'bullseye pistol' with your 75 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRA_Precision_Pistol. During the warm weather they are often shot as club matches after work. If you are into running around and shooting from behind obstacles, there are a bunch of disciplines like IPSC, etc., for that. https://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/. The good thing about most all of these at the club level is you can just introduce yourself to the guy who is running the match and ask him to explain what goes on and he will generally hook you up with an experienced person to shoot with and show you the ropes. At the club level they are generally low pressure and great fun.

Just a bit more info on what is now called 'precision pistol' (was always bullseye to me). There are essentially three (3) classes. .22RF, most any centerfire (your CZ75 in 9mm would be excellent) and 1911 in 45ACP. For the serious competitors, the S&W Model 41 is 'the' .22RF to shoot, with a few others from Hammerli and such also being popular. I shoot a Ruger 678 target model, but I'm not very competitive (not the gun's fault). Revolvers (affectionately know as 'wheelguns') are also legal. For centerfire I shoot an S&W 586 with 38Spl target ammo. For a 1911 I shoot a stainless S&W that, like the 586, has been 'breathed on' by a pistol-smith.

It is difficult to beat a .22RF pistol for inexpensive & fun shooting. Whether plinking or shooting targets they are about a easy as it gets and great training for the "heavy" rounds. Ruger https://ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html & Browning https://www.browning.com/products/fi...roduction.html both have several target models that are a great place to start. Unless you have a reason for a 10mm/1911, you might think about a .22RF for your next gun.

If you are mechanically inclined, as in don't mind taking your 1911 apart (about like giving it a proper cleaning) and changing springs & barrels, etc., folks like Kimber offer .22RF conversion kits https://www.kimberamerica.com/catalo...caliber=187&q= for the 1911 so you can shoot it as a 22RF as well as 45ACP or whatever you have your 1911 chambered. Get a Kimber Stainless II target in 10mm or 45ACP & the conversion to .22RF and you have both.
There are clubs around my neck of the woods but tend to be Shotgun only/hunting/clay clubs. There is an excellent public indoor/outdoor range about 90 minutes away that I hope to head to soon.

Thanks for all the great information. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 06-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
You could also take a look at the Sig P229 as you can swap barrels between 357, 9mm, and 40 SW. 357 is very close to 10mm but is way cheaper and much easier to get than 10mm. Only downside (for some people) is the trigger as its a double action/single action.
Thanks for the info, IM3CPO. Sig makes some great guns. I nearly went for the P320 X5 Legion. But the CZ 75 won that day.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 06-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Big SIG fan here, the P210 9mm is the centerpiece of my collection
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser