AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
Not sure if I like the power cord socket location...but they probably sound pretty sweet
+1 for the power cord socket !
french people know nothing about ergonomics.
I don't buy anymore french made products....
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 AM

Howie,

I have listened to these Jadis amps about 3 months ago. They are very good.
But overpriced. Actually they are hand made in France where :
- we pay more than twice the taxes you pay in the US
- a worker in France cost the double compared to the US ( people don't earn 2x more money : you actually pay the same amount of salary the worker gets, to pay taxes, unemployment insurance, retirement, health and so on...
Compared to an amp made in the US, the Jadis should cost 9k. So the price versus value of this product is really poor compared to american products.
A pair of 2301 will kick the ass of the Jadis amps all over the Spectrum.
But I would also consider ARC, VTL, CJ and Manley amps if you're into tube amplifiers.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Howie,

I have listened to these Jadis amps about 3 months ago. They are very good.
But overpriced. Actually they are hand made in France where :
- we pay more than twice the taxes you pay in the US
- a worker in France cost the double compared to the US ( people don't earn 2x more money : you actually pay the same amount of salary the worker gets, to pay taxes, unemployment insurance, retirement, health and so on...
Compared to an amp made in the US, the Jadis should cost 9k. So the price versus value of this product is really poor compared to american products.
A pair of 2301 will kick the ass of the Jadis amps all over the Spectrum.
But I would also consider ARC, VTL, CJ and Manley amps if you're into tube amplifiers.
Like all hand made things, the price will be higher I agree. I'm not sure 9k is a fair price though. I can't think of many 9k tube amp monoblocks in the class of a Jadis Class A amp. Not even those that are made by automation. Right now though, my focus is on Air Tight and Kondo stuff but I like the Jadis sound as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Like all hand made things, the price will be higher I agree. I'm not sure 9k is a fair price though. I can't think of many 9k tube amp monoblocks in the class of a Jadis Class A amp. Not even those that are made by automation. Right now though, my focus is on Air Tight and Kondo stuff but I like the Jadis sound as well.
Now you have listen to Air Tight .....

Pssstttt, next amps to try .... WAVACS!

Since you are willing to swim all the way into the channel, might as well go for it! Once owned, never look back ... cause the cost prohibit too!

PRT-1 Preamp, LCR X2 Phono Amp & SH833 Ver 1.3 SET 150 watt mono Power!

I have only tried the Wavac Pre/Power before and although the price is beyond what I can cough out for, and the depreciation is more than I can handle (seriously, I have yet seen one set for sale in the market here though), this combo will drive anything ... beautifully musical!

Its sort of a buy once , end all ... I dare say, unless one have deep pockets to look elsewhere ... but then, at this kind of price, there aint many around to compete either. They are not known as KING of SET Tubes for nothing! Bro, if anyone can afford this, you got to be one of them!

Serious! Go hear ....

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Just Pure Lucky

The 833 Wavac amps are just gorgeous sounding and like JCCC mentioned, the last amps anyone would buy ----------- but out of my range.

Look at that 833 tube -- holy mackrel!!!!!!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1275152137.jpg (69.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1275151671.jpg (66.9 KB, 69 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 06-22-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Just Pure Lucky

833C close up

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 AM

Well today, I had the pleasure of spending two hours listening to an AMR CDP through a Kondo M77 pre amp and a Kondo Ongaku amp and Avantgarde Duo Grosso speakers.

Holy mackeral, those 27 watts can get very loud when you have speakers with 109db

The sound was pretty mesmerising, not harsh at all, very detailed. The AMR cdp was very nice as well. Built like a brick shxt house and with different filters you could tailor the sound to your song or cd with the press of the remote.

Only problem is the Ongaku will cost me US$57k if I want it.

Picture nicked from Elberoth's post in another thread.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Howie,

I know we are talking the best of the best here, but...

How did the Kondo compare to the Air Tight?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Howie,

I know we are talking the best of the best here, but...

How did the Kondo compare to the Air Tight?
Its interesting. The Kondo has more "air" delicacy and a massive soundstage. The sound is extremly pure if you know what I mean.
You can really sense the singer standing there in front of you. There is was nil background noise even with the duo grossos.
Sometimes I got the impression that the bass could be a little bit lacking but with further listening I realised it basically was there, it was just that there was so much more to listen to that the focus had shifted.
I could almost call the sound from most other brands to be boomy and not focused all in a relative way of course.

The Air tight is the first brand I have heard in a long time that really struck me as having the perfect combination of warmth, timbre and involvement. It is darker than the Kondo. There is less air but more intimacy.

It makes you grin like a crazy cat is how I would put it.I hope that makes sense!

At the moment I am torn between the two but the air tight is considerably less expensive with the Two Box Reference 2001 Preamp and the ATM-3 coming to only half the price of the Ongaku on its own. Even with the Reference Stereo 2001 Power amp it is still cheaper than the ongaku!

Both are extremely satisfying but slightly different flavours. The only proviso at the moment is the Ongaku is to my mind not satisfactory (at this price) without a preamp and that means more cash. which would put it out of reach unless I am willing to tolerate (!)the Ongaku for a while.

Unfortunately the Jadis JPS2 + JA60 doesn't hold a flame to these two brands as it stands even though it is the cheapest, though not by much.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Sounds like you should try to listen to the Air Tight a little more.

Were you listening to the Kondo without a pre?