AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 PM

I’m wondering about the ASC10 as well. I’m using the Bridge on my wonderful PS Audio DirectStream DAC and the mconnect server app is pretty lousy. I’ve heard that the ASC10 via USB is superior. Looking forward to feedback.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
Did you get your unit yet? Thoughts? Are you using/have you used it as a streamer?

It is out for delivery today via FedEx.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Did the ACS10 arrive?

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 12-05-2018, 10:42 AM

I have received the ACS-10. Got a very good deal on the 2X8TB version from a guy that bought it new, but decided he needed to down size. I have been copying files to it using a direct network connection from my Aurender X100L to the ACS-10. I did listen to some tracks briefly, but didn't listen enough to determine anything other than it sounded at least as good as my N100H and X100L. The original owner had maybe 10 hours on the unit, so some burn in may be required.

You can't listen to music on the ACS-10 when copying files so I will have to wait to do more listening, but first listening impressions are I can sell either my N100H or X100L to recoup some of the cost of the ACS-10.

I will report back in a couple of days with more initial thoughts. I'm not an audiophile, nor do I have golden ears so my review of the sound of the ACS-10 won't probably be helpful to most.

The unit is well built, the ripping functionality is fast, but there are issues with copying files and the smart sync functionality. I have started the copy process from the ACS application multiple times and the process of copying files from my X100L has either locked up, paused with a "waiting" message, or displays copy complete when it didn't complete. I have sent a couple of messages to Aurender yesterday outlining these issues, but haven't heard back.

You would think that copying files would be a core set of functionality that would work out of the box. Again, I have the X100L connected directly to the ACS-10 via a CAT6 ethernet cable. The ACS-10 has one LAN port for connection to your router, and two additional LAN ports for connection to additional ACS-10s or other Aurender devices. I tried switching out the ethernet cables to no avail.

I tried the Smart Sync option initially where the contents of an external Aurender device's library/database are supposed to be incorporated into the ACS-10's database. It didn't seem to work on the first attempt. It does it in the background supposedly, but there is no indication anything is happening and the library on the ACS-10 didn't seem to display much of what was on the X100H.

Lastly, the ACS-10's standalone application leaves a lot to be desired. It needs work, it needs to be more user friendly when it comes to the system's status when copying files, syncing to other Aurender databases, and the processes that are running. Several times when using the Conductor application I could see the ACS-10, X100L, and N100H as available Aurender devices, but I couldn't connect the ACS-10. I would get an error that the IP address couldn't be found (even though a status message in Conductor quickly displayed showing the ACS-10 IP address). The ACS-10 was on my network, the ACS-10 was displaying the IP address on its display, and I could ping the ACS-10. I had to do a soft shutdown (hold the button on the front of the device) and want 2-3 minutes while it shutdown, then push the button again to restart the ACS-10, then wait 2-3 minutes while it started back up. I could then connect to it via Conductor. By the way the startup/shutdown process is very slow!

The above problem and the others I have mentioned above make me hesitant to recommend the ACS-10 and gives me some buyer's remorse. Hopefully Aurender will work to fix the problems quickly as it has a lot of potential, especially if the streamer sounds better than the N100H and comes close to the N10.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Projectman.......Just a suggestion, but make sure you are running the latest system software for the ASC10 and the other Aurender components. Also check to see you are using the latest update for the Conductor app.

https://www.aurender.com/page/home

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Projectman.......Just a suggestion, but make sure you are running the latest system software for the ASC10 and the other Aurender components. Also check to see you are using the latest update for the Conductor app.

https://www.aurender.com/page/home
Thanks! That was the first thing I checked, and have checked it everyday since starting to use it. Aurender mentions in the release notes for the current version that they will display a notification when a new release is available.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:15 AM

Default Acs-10

Ive owned an Aurender ACS-10 for 6 months now and I think its a great functioning and sounding machine. Its connected to a quality Chord DAVE DAC (UK). Power cable is Nordost Valhalla2.
I use it as a music server and the great thing about the player is doesnt need to be connected to the net to work (once you copy over files from a USB drive or NAS). The inbuilt quality CD Ripper is a bonus. If connected to the net it uses DiscCogs to automatically grab the tracks and artwork. The artwork is for the iPad app and doesnt waste energy showing it on the player screen.

The iPad wifi software is superb, and it even works thru an iPhone app (Aurender Lite) (phone setting to wifi). However the player can still work without the iPad if you have tracks loaded up.

Sound is so spacious, sophisticated and convincing. Better than I was expecting for sure as I'm also a quality CD player enthusiast. The output is via USB (common to Aurender) and its clearly been optimised to get the most out of this technology.
Every aspect of the musical range is so open and even, outstanding.

The top Aurender models must be someting special again, but even the ACS-10 makes the grade easily.

Anthony