AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Old 04-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Hey Arr_w,
I've spent the last few days struggling to tame the bass on the O96 with my Leben CS600. I swapped out my tubes from Philips EL34 to the popular Russian 6n3ce tube. That helped a bit. My room is 14x17 with no 3rd wall (which would be the 2nd short wall). With the Nines I positioned them against the short wall and that sounded best. With the O96, I positioned them against the long wall and that sounds best to my ears, the short wall position caused way too much bass that muddied my most favorite recordings. Alison Krauss and her lower registers were ruined, and I couldn't have that.

After positioning them on the long wall there was significantly wider and deeper sound stage, no doubt because now I have them spaced about 9ft apart and only 3ft from the rear wall (due to wife restrictions). I'm listening about 10-11ft away. Still, this has given the best sound I've heard in my room and has tamed the bass considerably to where I no longer consider it an issue. I'm just enjoying the music now.

Good luck figuring your low frequency problem out, I know it can be frustrating.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks man,

I'm in the near same situation, just a little smaller dimensions. I have them on the long wall with no third, short, wall. We have very similar systems. Those Russian tubes are incredible; they are likely the best deal in hifi at the moment. Shhh, don't tell anyone else...

I cannot get 10' away; I'm only 7'. I'm still looking for that sweetspot between space behind and listening distance...

Are you 3' from rear baffle to front wall or woofer to front wall?

I wil be doing a little more trapping.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM

I am 3ft from the beginning of the baffle to the rear wall. Everything I've read suggests to place them out a little further, but I think we're in a similar situation where that means a very near field listening position.

Regarding the tubes, those Russians do sound good. However now that I have my bass tamed, I will go back to my NOS Philips and hope they don't adversely affect the bass. They are Philips EL34s with DD getters, brown base. I think these are the tubes used in the Shindo Montrachet but I'm not sure (they look similar if they're not). Definitely the best that I've rolled into the mighty Leben. More accurate tone, piano was amazing with these on the Nines.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 PM

Oh yeah... one mistake I made, which others should avoid: I did not use the sticky tack to adhere the speakers to the stands right away. I thought I would find position and then attache them. Big Mistake. Securing the boxes to the stands solidifies the sound, there is definition, and authority not present when the speakers are not firmly coupled to the stands.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Spent $50 on a bag of Safe'n'Sound and mocked up a half height, superchunck trap in the corner on the front wall behind the speaker -- instant upgrade. I will be adding a couple more.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 PM

I use a Herbies DB Neutralizer instead of the DeVore white-Tak stuff. Definitely tightened up the bass. Beware- these aren't quite as gummy as the DeVore stuff, so please be cautious when moving the speakers. Arr_w- I'm not catching you on the Safe n' sound. What is it, and where do you get it ??? Best -Don
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
I use a Herbies DB Neutralizer instead of the DeVore white-Tak stuff. Definitely tightened up the bass. Beware- these aren't quite as gummy as the DeVore stuff, so please be cautious when moving the speakers. Arr_w- I'm not catching you on the Safe n' sound. What is it, and where do you get it ??? Best -Don
Safe'n'Sound is a stone wool sound insulation product.
Roxul Safe 'n' Sound 3 in. x 15-1/4 in. x 47 in. Soundproofing Stone Wool Insulation (12-Roll)-RXSS31525 - The Home Depot

I simply filled up the corner behind the O96's with 16" triangles and placed a 2" thick ridged fibre glass panel spanning the corner in front of the pieces to cover them up. It is a very quick, effective and inexpensive bass trap. A google search for 'superchunk bass trap' will provide a bunch of hits.

Thanks for the tip on the Herbies -- I'll check it out.