AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-12-2022, 08:42 PM

I've noticed a pattern. Whenever I enjoy the sound with GE tubes, I like the sound better when I use a different brand of the same tube type. I've heard this with the 6sn7, 6sl7, 6gbg, and now 6k6gt. I've switched over to Tungsol 6k6gt tubes and everything sounds better with them. Better bass, bigger soundstage, smoother, "sweeter" etc.

Like a lot of other tube types, the innards of the tube changed over the years and there was a lot of rebranding. I've got some Sylvania 6k6gt that look a lot like their later 6v6gt:

There are a bunch of different brands that look the same, I assume they are just rebrands. For the Tungsol I opted for the old school Tungsol look. I've never seen a tube that looks like this that isn't actually made by Tungsol:

Since the price is about the same I can't really recommend the GE tubes. I'll be trying some older Sylvanias and some RCA in the coming weeks. I also got some Mullard and Cossor 807 in as well and I'm looking forward to hearing them soon too.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:53 PM

Tried the RCA 6k6gt and have given up on them for now. None of the combos I tried were good enough to make me want to keep them in there. Put in these tubes:

These are a dead ringer for the GEC vt60. It took me a while to find a good input tube but it sure paid off when I did. The BL63 with these 807 have a deep, rich sound in my system. It also looks like super serious hifi. We all know how important that is!
Old 05-01-2023, 10:30 AM

Smile

Have any of you tube rolling folks spent a fair amount of time comparing the sound of (just) the various KT88s in a Firebottle? I would appreciate your opinions, particularly if you have had the opportunity to compare some of the old (but having still good emission) tubes from 40 or more years ago to the presently available crop.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4ylq View Post
Have any of you tube rolling folks spent a fair amount of time comparing the sound of (just) the various KT88s in a Firebottle? I would appreciate your opinions, particularly if you have had the opportunity to compare some of the old (but having still good emission) tubes from 40 or more years ago to the presently available crop.
It’s funny, my KT88 Firebottle came with the well regarded PSVANE Treasure KT88. As soon as I started rolling tubes I discovered that I didn’t really like them all that much. Ended up giving them to a friend. Vintage KT88 are out of my price range. Hell, new ones are more expensive than my favorite vintage tubes like 807, 6v6, and 6bg6.

That’s my long winded way of saying, sorry, I haven’t tried other KT88 tubes.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Tried Gold Lion Kt88's and in my system, my room did not like that the KT88's, I prefer using KT77's or 6V6GT's
Old 05-03-2023, 07:07 AM

Personally, I think sound wise you're better off with old stock 6550s. GE 6550s are what I'm running in my prototype Firebottle.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:41 AM

Were they Russian Gold Lion KT88s or English GenalexGold Lions?
Old 05-03-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Personally, I think sound wise you're better off with old stock 6550s. GE 6550s are what I'm running in my prototype Firebottle.
I've got a bunch of old 6550s, left over from a Bogen MO200 amplifier I had in the 70's - they will get a chance to show what they've got (in time).
Old 05-03-2023, 09:45 AM

No worries - all input is appreciated. I happen to have a pair of NOS English Gold Lion, Genalex KT88s that are >40 years old that I intend to try out when I get a SE amp to utilize them in.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Were they Russian Gold Lion KT88s or English GenalexGold Lions?
Russian