AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 08-11-2022, 07:37 PM

Those are some beautiful looking 7c5 and 7n7. Half the ones I have are all crusty and dusty lol. Also couldn't help but notice the enormous transformers on that black phone preamp. Why so big?
Old 08-12-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
Those are some beautiful looking 7c5 and 7n7. Half the ones I have are all crusty and dusty lol. Also couldn't help but notice the enormous transformers on that black phone preamp. Why so big?
Hi Isaacc7

why shouldn't different rctifier sound different?
yes, I know that they only convert the electricity.
but do not sound different power cables, rca cables and various bases and coasters also different...
I don't know if it's the material, the crystalline molecular structure, the structure, the connection pins or the vacuum. in the end, I am also disgusted. a difference can be heard.

I have some 6j5 which look absolutely identical except for the lettering of the manufacturer, but sound completely different.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn-dt-n View Post
Hi Isaacc7

why shouldn't different rctifier sound different?
yes, I know that they only convert the electricity.
but do not sound different power cables, rca cables and various bases and coasters also different...
I don't know if it's the material, the crystalline molecular structure, the structure, the connection pins or the vacuum. in the end, I am also disgusted. a difference can be heard.

I have some 6j5 which look absolutely identical except for the lettering of the manufacturer, but sound completely different.
I am a real skeptic when it comes to external tweaks, especially when it comes to things like power cables and I guess cables in general. Vibration reduction could impact sound quality for things like turntables and amps that have microphonic tubes. As far as your tubes go I can think of logical explanations like different runs of tubes having slightly different coatings, wire spacing, etc. that we can't see.

I'm willing to put my skepticism to the test as long as it doesn't cost much. Like I said, I'll get a different 5y3 the next time I order tubes as see if it makes any difference. So many tweaks, including rectifiers, cost so much. I would rather put significant expenses towards new speakers instead
Old 08-12-2022, 11:52 AM

Default New home...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr
Old 08-12-2022, 04:24 PM

Can’t recall…how sensitive are those Inspire speakers? Would love to visit the toy shop and audition them one day. Speaking of auditioning, I signed up for Decware’s annual Decfest event in October in order to audition some of their amps as well as their (and Caintuck Audio’s) Open Baffle speakers. I know it’s sort of competition, but wouldn’t it be amazing if Dennis and other Inspire owners drop by (Oct 7,8, 9) and hang out with like minded folks?

I also just came back from a weeklong vacation. Told the kids to keep burning in the Fivre’s while I was away. My concern before leaving was that they were a bit too forward/shouty compared to the Visseaux (or the Popes for that matter). So, as I listen this weekend, that’s the aspect, I will probably pay close attention to.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Can’t recall…how sensitive are those Inspire speakers? Would love to visit the toy shop and audition them one day. Speaking of auditioning, I signed up for Decware’s annual Decfest event in October in order to audition some of their amps as well as their (and Caintuck Audio’s) Open Baffle speakers. I know it’s sort of competition, but wouldn’t it be amazing if Dennis and other Inspire owners drop by (Oct 7,8, 9) and hang out with like minded folks?

I also just came back from a weeklong vacation. Told the kids to keep burning in the Fivre’s while I was away. My concern before leaving was that they were a bit too forward/shouty compared to the Visseaux (or the Popes for that matter). So, as I listen this weekend, that’s the aspect, I will probably pay close attention to.
I have been intrigued by some of the speakers on the Decware site. Think it would be fun to hear all that stuff. I get turned off a bit by all the magical thinking Steve puts on his posts a in the forum. Still, if it sounds good it sounds good.

I’ll flip this around and say you should take your Inspire amp and try his speakers with it! Would be interesting to hear what you and he think of it.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I am a real skeptic when it comes to external tweaks, especially when it comes to things like power cables and I guess cables in general. Vibration reduction could impact sound quality for things like turntables and amps that have microphonic tubes. As far as your tubes go I can think of logical explanations like different runs of tubes having slightly different coatings, wire spacing, etc. that we can't see.

I'm willing to put my skepticism to the test as long as it doesn't cost much. Like I said, I'll get a different 5y3 the next time I order tubes as see if it makes any difference. So many tweaks, including rectifiers, cost so much. I would rather put significant expenses towards new speakers instead
Hi
I see the thing with the electricity exactly the other way around.
If you ride a bike and the dynamo drives a normal lamp, then you can see the current fluctuations on the light.
I think the electricity, the cables, the installation of the devices and the room deserve the same importance as the HiFI devices themselves.
The overall result can only be as good as the worst component.
If there is a mistake at the front, it is potentiated and in the end the result can be good, but not the optimum.
I wanted to buy a new amplifier over 25 years ago and tried it at home. the dealer also gave some cables to try.
I opted for other power and chinch cable.
the difference was much greater than the replacement of the amplifier.
I invested the money in power supply, cables and resonance optimization. This was the best decision from the cost / benefit calculation that I have not regretted so far.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgn-dt-n View Post
Hi
I see the thing with the electricity exactly the other way around.
If you ride a bike and the dynamo drives a normal lamp, then you can see the current fluctuations on the light.
I think the electricity, the cables, the installation of the devices and the room deserve the same importance as the HiFI devices themselves.
The overall result can only be as good as the worst component.
If there is a mistake at the front, it is potentiated and in the end the result can be good, but not the optimum.
I wanted to buy a new amplifier over 25 years ago and tried it at home. the dealer also gave some cables to try.
I opted for other power and chinch cable.
the difference was much greater than the replacement of the amplifier.
I invested the money in power supply, cables and resonance optimization. This was the best decision from the cost / benefit calculation that I have not regretted so far.
I won't begrudge you your enjoyment. The bottom line is that when it comes to gear we will fined enjoyment in different ways. Some want the most "accurate" gear, some want the flashiest, some want to tweak, etc. There are many different flavors of audiophiles but there is a distinct fault line concerning cables and tweaks. I'm on the side that just isn't very interested in that stuff. I get the feeling that Dennis isn't either. I get the feeling that most amp builders feel the same. A tweak for him is a different coupling cap! I'll keep enjoying different input and output tubes.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I have been intrigued by some of the speakers on the Decware site. Think it would be fun to hear all that stuff. I get turned off a bit by all the magical thinking Steve puts on his posts a in the forum. Still, if it sounds good it sounds good.

I’ll flip this around and say you should take your Inspire amp and try his speakers with it! Would be interesting to hear what you and he think of it.
I’m flying in to Chicago and driving in to Peoria—hence traveling light. If weight wasn’t a concern, I’d actually be very interested in lugging the Inspire amp with me (granted Steve and other members weren’t put off by that option). It will be interesting nonetheless.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I won't begrudge you your enjoyment. The bottom line is that when it comes to gear we will fined enjoyment in different ways. Some want the most "accurate" gear, some want the flashiest, some want to tweak, etc. There are many different flavors of audiophiles but there is a distinct fault line concerning cables and tweaks. I'm on the side that just isn't very interested in that stuff. I get the feeling that Dennis isn't either. I get the feeling that most amp builders feel the same. A tweak for him is a different coupling cap! I'll keep enjoying different input and output tubes.
Hi
and this is the most important thing that makes up our hobby.
There are a thousand roads leading to the goal and none of them is right or wrong. it always depends on the different circumstances.

I live in the city center, 4 family house, right outside the front door an electric tram, heated greenhouses from the botanical garden opposite, behind it the Cologne zoo. in the other direction at 200m distance a hospital.

I can hear the difference whether my wife uses the washing machine or not.

if someone lives away from the city where there is less electro smog, things may look very different.

in one case I have to agree with you in any case, the component quality in the devices plays a superordinate role.

but this also speaks for the fact that all the little things in the big picture affect the sound quality.

but everyone has to assess these circumstances differently for themselves. because the goal is for each of us to have so much fun with the music that it is a pleasure to see the artist in front of him with closed eyes and to immerse himself in the atmosphere of the concert.