AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Retired

Been so long since I've used eBay it appears I no longer know how to do so. How does one find the info for radioman731?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-28-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Been so long since I've used eBay it appears I no longer know how to do so. How does one find the info for radioman731?
Glenn,

Just click "Advanced" next to the search button on the right. There is an option to limit results to a particular seller. You can also specify open or closed listings to see what is for sale or what has been sold or listings that expired without sale.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Glenn,

Just click "Advanced" next to the search button on the right. There is an option to limit results to a particular seller. You can also specify open or closed listings to see what is for sale or what has been sold or listings that expired without sale.
And then you can chose to "Follow" that seller and you'll see it on the homepage when you log in.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
My experience with the ZBit has been sort of frustrating ... It sounds nice with the Decware Mini Torii (6V6 SEP) but it won't do anything for me when applied directly to my DACT Inspire SET. I suspect the passive DACT is a variable getting in the way of the ZBit, for some reason. And, yeah, its a lot of money for not being able to use it, as I don't listen to the Mini Torii anymore, no contest!

I haven't heard any of the other Decware amps, so I cannot comment on their differences with the Mini, but I can tell you I know many people who swear by the Super Zen, all over the Internet, and is not an expensive choice. I was tempted for a while, but the lacking power made me look somewhere else, luckily, Dennis Had's designs.

BTW, I'm all for tele-transportation
OK, great news from this last weekend ... I tried the ZBit directly to my Inspire amp again, which by now is already semi-seasoned, and I was gladly surprised! The ZBit makes this combo (no Preamp) better sounding with my best acoustic music tube complement so far, based on the 6P3S-E output tube.

More detailed, neutral and great bass ... very tangible difference when using a balanced signal into the Inspire. It seems when I tried the ZBit initially, the amp was not settled and no synergies were triggered then, so I had discarded that option. Sound with the ZBit was dark and seemed to suck the life out of may Inspire amp. I always wondered what had happened, though, so I decided to give it a try again yesterday, with the Inspire now running at full colors ...

Now, it is my first choice for the acoustic/vocals selections ... I cannot dismiss the LP-27a for the orchestral pieces, though, given its higher gain and dynamics, especially when running KT88's. The LP-27a makes everything sound second best, plus it has all that added headroom of its additional gain coupled with larger output tubes.

I will never again underestimate the trick under the sleeve of a balanced signal. So, it is ZBit/Inspire with 6P3S-E for acoustic Jazz and Vocals, and LP-27a / Inspire with KT88's for large-orchestra music. Both these combinations having been individually complement-optimized as explained in earlier messages ... Further progress is good, and I at least finally get to enjoy the ZBit.

Having said that, I'll eventually re-try the 6V6's with the ZBit, although with my particular tube samples it is unlikely these will ever sound as good as the Russian golden Pin 6P3S-E, even coupled with the ZBit.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-28-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Here’s another method:
Advanced Search (upper right of main page)
By Seller (on left)
Enter "radioman731" and click the Search button
Click on "radioman731"
See all feedback (on right)
Feedback as Seller (tab)
You’ll see feedback for his recent sales. You can click on “View Item” (on right) for recent sales to see the ad.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
OK, great news from this last weekend ... I tried the ZBit directly to my Inspire amp again, which by now is already semi-seasoned, and I was gladly surprised! The ZBit makes this combo (no Preamp) better sounding with my best acoustic music tube complement so far, based on the 6P3S-E output tube.

More detailed, neutral and great bass ... very tangible difference when using a balanced signal into the Inspire. It seems when I tried the ZBit initially, the amp was not settled and no synergies were triggered then, so I had discarded that option. Sound with the ZBit was dark and seemed to suck the life out of may Inspire amp. I always wondered what had happened, though, so I decided to give it a try again yesterday, with the Inspire now running at full colors ...

Now, it is my first choice for the acoustic/vocals selections ... I cannot dismiss the LP-27a for the orchestral pieces, though, given its higher gain and dynamics, especially when running KT88's. The LP-27a makes everything sound second best, plus it has all that added headroom of its additional gain coupled with larger output tubes.

I will never again underestimate the trick under the sleeve of a balanced signal. So, it is ZBit/Inspire with 6P3S-E for acoustic Jazz and Vocals, and LP-27a / Inspire with KT88's for large-orchestra music. Both these combinations having been individually complement-optimized as explained in earlier messages ... Further progress is good, and I at least finally get to enjoy the ZBit.

Having said that, I'll eventually re-try the 6V6's with the ZBit, although with my particular tube samples it is unlikely these will ever sound as good as the Russian golden Pin 6P3S-E, even coupled with the ZBit.
How do you make a balanced connection between the ZBit (DAC?) and your Inspire amp?

My McIntosh MC275 amp has balanced and unbalanced input connectors, but my Inspire amp only has the RCA (unbalanced) inputs. Therefore I can connect my Oppo BDP-105 to my MC275 via balanced cables or RCA cables, but the Inspire amp is limited to the RCA connectors.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I did some rolling around tonight. So much for moderation in my TA program!

I revisited the Popes and went back and forth a few times, then some side trips.

My initial impression remains. Compared to the Visseaux 6V6, they are darker. The bass is thicker and they don't sound as airy. If I worked with the tubes ahead of it, I'm sure I could get them sounding quite good. If you are cranking them up, they may open up more at higher volume levels.
I also did some rolling today between the Visseaux 6V6GT, Pope 6V6GT and Bendix 5992. The associated tubes were a Zalytron labeled Tung-Sol 6SL7GT driver and a Zalytron (Holland Made) 5Y3GT rectifier. IMO, the Visseaux were #1, Pope #2, and the Bendix #3. In my system with this tube complement, the Visseaux were more airy, had the best top end extension, nice midrange and bass weight. The Pope were close with less air, but still had a nice high end, midrange and bass. The 5992 had the best bass heft, but were more "sterile" than either the Visseaux or the Popes. YMMV.

Glenn
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_kc View Post
How do you make a balanced connection between the ZBit (DAC?) and your Inspire amp?

My McIntosh MC275 amp has balanced and unbalanced input connectors, but my Inspire amp only has the RCA (unbalanced) inputs. Therefore I can connect my Oppo BDP-105 to my MC275 via balanced cables or RCA cables, but the Inspire amp is limited to the RCA connectors.
The ZBit was especially designed to take the balanced output from your DAC or receiver (or CD Player with balanced outputs) and control its total output voltage from Zero to the Max output voltage from your device (in my case you can adjust the balanced voltage out of my Yggrasil from 0 to the nominal max of 4 Volts). Then, it transfers this balanced signal into the RCA single-ended output in the ZBit, which in turn connects to the RCA inputs in your Inspire.

The best sound comes dialing the ZBit to the max (or close to) of the 0-Max voltage range (4 volts in my case), where the bulk of the balanced output voltage is preserved. Then, you just need to adjust the Inspire amp's volume to your SPL of preference using the Inspire's DACT (in my case) or volume pot (in the more general case).

The sound difference is very palpable and welcome in terms of sound quality. It is the best sounding effect I've gotten since getting the Inspire amp. Of course, as I said before, even if you now get the ZBit's 4 volts instead of the usual 2-2.5 volts in the single-ended input into your amp, which means the amp receives a larger gain signal, the advantages of the Preamp are evident over this when you need headroom galore and more body to the sound. You can get this with the ZBit, but not with the slam/oomph potential you get with the Preamp. The great thing is, Dennis's preamps preserve sound quality while achieving this, with no coloration or sound degradation due to the additional stage involved, just as with the ZBit.

Given the above, the best sound for acoustic jazz and vocals are ensured by the use of the ZBit in my case (balanced inputs to the Inspire amp) whereas when I'm in need to hear for example Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony in all its glory, I need to resource to the Preamp instead. Both sound great, mind you, it is just that the balanced signal is so depurate and textured it is amazing.

I hope this answers your question. I had never been a believer (or even considered) the balanced mode in my DACs until now. The difference is worth it in my book (no affiliation with Decware's products). It is a shame it did not worked earlier on, when my Inspire amp was still in the ropes and not yet settled, as all things were in the burn-in context at the time, including the ZBit.

The ZBit uses Jensen transformers (one per channel) to achieve the voltage regulation required in this transition from the original balanced output to the single-ended input, preserving the balanced advantages ... The concept is quite right, in my view.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-28-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM

On another issue, it may be me, but the latest JPLAY software is not better than my relatively recent version of Foobar2K. I've listened to both in the same context (song passage, etc.), one after the other, and even though sound memory is quite short, the difference escapes me. So, I'll bag the JPLAY SW cost and invest it into more productive sound benefits ... USB Regen anyone?

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 03-28-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
I also did some rolling today between the Visseaux 6V6GT, Pope 6V6GT and Bendix 5992. The associated tubes were a Zalytron labeled Tung-Sol 6SL7GT driver and a Zalytron (Holland Made) 5Y3GT rectifier. IMO, the Visseaux were #1, Pope #2, and the Bendix #3. In my system with this tube complement, the Visseaux were more airy, had the best top end extension, nice midrange and bass weight. The Pope were close with less air, but still had a nice high end, midrange and bass. The 5992 had the best bass heft, but were more "sterile" than either the Visseaux or the Popes. YMMV.

Glenn
We are suprisingly close in our listening, Glenn. I have had the Bendix' and ended up reselling them. They were pretty harsh to my ears. Your Pope and Visseaux descriptions mirror mine as well. I'm more used to reading widely differing perceptions.

On a related note - I ran across Visseaux 6V6G's - ST shape - so earlier than the 6V6GT's we have. I'm not confident in my assessment but, initially, they weren't anything special. I'll give them another shot some day.