AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
Thanks pstrisik and FloridaBoy. I appreciate the link to the rectifier tubes. I admit that a big attraction to these amps was that each had its own character imparted by someone with a long track record and a continuing love for what he's doing. The story behind my amp is that Chip contacted Dennis in December 2014. He basically said "make me your favorite amp, but make it a little special." It came in the copper color with no name plate -- just the Inspire logo on the front -- things that were probably special in January 2015, but have surely been repeated on many amps since then. The inscription on the bottom does not refer to a tube number. Just "Firebottle." But Chip said that Dennis told him that it was a 6L6 amp. And as FloridaBoy wrote, one of the "make it special" things that Dennis did was to provide 3 full sets of tubes that would show off the range of the amp. According to Chip, though, he liked the KT-88's and never tried the others. I don't have the amp yet. It should arrive in the next couple of days. I'll provide some info on my system as well as the specific tubes in a future post. Here and Here are links to a picture with the tubes loaded and the inscription.

Nice looking amp! I'm partial to red . But I found the listing and see it is his favorite copper finish. My second choice. It is also a nice look without the wide walnut or black nameplate.

The listing also indicated silver hookup wire and upgraded caps. Do you know what caps it has? Have a photo of the inside? If not, it would be great if you took the bottom plate off to take one before you set it all up, particularly since it is evidently a "special edition".
Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Nice!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM

EL-84 maybe.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Yup

7+watt....Triode Set.

Pure Sex!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Nice looking amp! I'm partial to red . But I found the listing and see it is his favorite copper finish. My second choice. It is also a nice look without the wide walnut or black nameplate.

The listing also indicated silver hookup wire and upgraded caps. Do you know what caps it has? Have a photo of the inside? If not, it would be great if you took the bottom plate off to take one before you set it all up, particularly since it is evidently a "special edition".
I don't have any pictures of the inside. Chip says he never opened the amp. But I will take some and post them before setting it up.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
I don't have any pictures of the inside. Chip says he never opened the amp. But I will take some and post them before setting it up.
That would be great. I'm curious what Dennis would choose for an upgrade. He used Auricaps in mine and a big red cap that I don't know what it is.......

Last edited by pstrisik; 09-17-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 PM

Default Building a System Around an Inspire Amp

As I wait for my amp, I wanted get your opinions and recommendations on how to build a system around it. I'm still in the early stages. My last real system (putting aside theater in a box stuff) was purchased in the late 1980s. It centered on a Carver Receiver AVR100 and Polk Audio SDA 2A speakers. They served me well for a long time. The efficiency of the speakers are 92db. I also have a couple sets of Orb speakers that are 89 db that I've used these in my office system. I recently got a very good deal on a Dared SL 2000A preamp before I knew I was getting the Inspire. I'm going to try that, though I'd like anyone's thoughts on whether asking Dennis to build one to match my amp would be the best long term solution. I'd like to continue to use the tuner in the Carver, because it is very nice. But I don't know how feasible that will be. I play records with a Thorens 125 with a Bang & Olufsen MMC20CL cartridge through an Angle Audio phonostage.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
He's also made one with a switch for triode/UL mode (I think UL - are ours UL?).
Yes, ours are UL. I mistakenly posted that mine was triode. I happy with it as is.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
That would be great. I'm curious what Dennis would choose for an upgrade. He used Auricaps in mine and a big red cap that I don't know what it is.......

Mine had Russian K42-Y. After it burned in I did change them.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Here is the selection of tubes that Dennis supplied with my amp. Please provide any thoughts you have on combinations to try or avoid:

Output Options:
NEW TUNG SOL 6L6 (8 WPC)
NEW GOLD LION KT77 (10 WPC)
NEW GOLD LION KT88 (15 WPC)

Driver Options:
NOS ZENITH 6BX7GT
BRIMAR 6SL7
BRIMAR 6SN7

The rectifier is a NOS WESTINGHOUSE 5U4G
Thanks!