AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-27-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Peter,

Do you remember you impressions of the Pope 6v6 vs. the Visseaux? The Popes have returned to seated position in my amp again after a stint with some Soviet 6l6 variants. The 6p3s-e tubes are nice tubes, definite keepers, and do represent what many hear have said of late regarding fullness. They just don't seem to have the punch of the Popes I like for some hard hitting rock-n-roll. Maybe it is the reproduction of the electric guitar and in some cases where their amps were pushed by 6v6s in the studio. I think that as significant as anything else, equipment, source, listening room, etc., is the type of music one listens to as to weather a tube sounds good or not. As much as I like 6v6s they do not handle the distortion of Anders Osborne's American Patchwork or Black Eyed Galaxy in my setup. To much of a good thing I guess. As we all know there is no perfect setup. If there was we would all own one and have nothing to converse about.

Enjoy the music and Happy Easter everybody.

Scott

I did some rolling around tonight. So much for moderation in my TA program!

I revisited the Popes and went back and forth a few times, then some side trips.

My initial impression remains. Compared to the Visseaux 6V6, they are darker. The bass is thicker and they don't sound as airy. If I worked with the tubes ahead of it, I'm sure I could get them sounding quite good. If you are cranking them up, they may open up more at higher volume levels.

I also revisited the 6K6GT - a vintage RCA. It remains a good one. I was surprised when I first heard them. But I'm now hanging with a pair of Mullard EL34 Xf2. Without looking it up, I think the 6V6/6K6 give about 5 watts while the EL34 is more like 10. I'm getting nice dynamic range and speed. If I really do need more than the 5 watts, there is speaker sensitivity to take into account. Mine are 8ohm/93db (Louis changed the rating to 95db recently). Maybe need that little extra.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:30 PM

I also am trying to avoid the temptation of trying every possible tube, particularly since I’ve achieved excellent results with the current combination of tubes in my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO: 6N2P-EV / GT6L6 GE (6L6GC) / 5AR4.

Nonetheless I’m tempted by 6V6GTs based on all of the favorable comments. A Genalex Gold Lion 6V6GT Platinum Matched Tube Set is available on-line for $54.75 including shipping. Presumably I’d pair it with the 5U4 that was supplied with my amp. My concern is that I can’t give up any of the gain and power that I need for classical music. Bottom line: thus far I’ve not clicked on the Buy It Now button …
Old 03-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I did some rolling around tonight. So much for moderation in my TA program! I revisited the Popes and went back and forth a few times, then some side trips. My initial impression remains. Compared to the Visseaux 6V6, they are darker. The bass is thicker and they don't sound as airy. If I worked with the tubes ahead of it, I'm sure I could get them sounding quite good. If you are cranking them up, they may open up more at higher volume levels. I also revisited the 6K6GT - a vintage RCA. It remains a good one. I was surprised when I first heard them. But I'm now hanging with a pair of Mullard EL34 Xf2. Without looking it up, I think the 6V6/6K6 give about 5 watts while the EL34 is more like 10. I'm getting nice dynamic range and speed. If I really do need more than the 5 watts, there is speaker sensitivity to take into account. Mine are 8ohm/93db (Louis changed the rating to 95db recently). Maybe need that little extra.
Thanks Peter,

I will keep my eye open for a pair visseauxs. I have yet to try a el34 yet. Of late I have been direct my $ toward nos bargain selections and avoiding the top dollar choices. I wonder if there are any suggested NEW tube makes of the EL34 from our friends here. FB?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Peter,

I will keep my eye open for a pair visseauxs. I have yet to try a el34 yet. Of late I have been direct my $ toward nos bargain selections and avoiding the top dollar choices. I wonder if there are any suggested NEW tube makes of the EL34 from our friends here. FB?
Well, there's a Mullard EL34 Xf2 reissue, made in Russia. Don't know the price offhand, though. Probably not too bad. (Edit: yenaudiostore at ebay sells them for $38/pair. I've bought other tubes from them and got good service).

The Visseaux' have become very rare. I wasn't expecting to see them ever listed again, but there was a brief flurry a couple of months ago. I saw about 6 pair go from ebay. If you keep an eye out, you'll probably see some, though maybe not for a while.

Last edited by pstrisik; 03-27-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Retired

Can find nothing from DH on eBay. How does one contact him in order to place an order?
Thanks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks Peter,

The GL KT77 is perhaps the best EL34 type out there. It's a solid tube with a wonderful musical balance that doesn't seem to be lacking at either the top or bottom and possesses that great midrange a 34 is known for.

Reach out to Jim McShane if you're looking for a pair - actually any tube for that matter. Jim tests and burns everything in THEN matches them. Solid experiences with him. No affil.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Can find nothing from DH on eBay. How does one contact him in order to place an order?
Thanks.
His seller ID is radioman731
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Retired

Doesn't appear to have had anything for sale for a couple of months. The KT88 based amp looks good.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Doesn't appear to have had anything for sale for a couple of months. The KT88 based amp looks good.
I found three KT88 amps that he's sold on eBay in the past couple of months.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
A KT88 amp from Dennis just sold 3 days ago. The ad was only up a couple hours.