AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor

The pro machines require a bit more dedication--not to mention space--to operate and maintain. Forget the heads--they you can replace them with some extended response heads from John French--but you have to have the expertise or someone around who can align and maintain head azimuth. That's not to mention all the other functions that need maintenance. One of the better people for fixing/answering Studer questions (and other decks like Nagra, Ampex) is Ki Choi (who has a R2R museum in his home too ). Ki hangs out at thetapeproject.com or whatsbestforum.com.

And many think that by modding a Technics deck (it does have an excellent transport eg. the same hefty motors used in their top turntables), changing the heads, etc. that there's little difference between the pro machines and pro-sumer machines for PB purposes (for instance, Opus 3 uses a modded Technics for making their new tapes).
Myles...Yes I love the smaller footprint of the Technics & the prospect that it can be specked up to around that of a pro machine. Exceptional playback & record is what i will care for most but I am curious as to what level of playback control they came out with....I believe that there is a remote control option? (I wonder if Jeff could do a 5v/12v trigger jack as part of the customization...) I'm not sure about memory counter queuing on the Technics? Am I correct in saying that it has no or just basic queuing features only? I suspect it doesn't have a light sensor/rewind slow either like a Studer has?

Last edited by MyPal; 06-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Myles...Yes I love the smaller footprint of the Technics & the prospect that it can be specked up to around that of a pro machine. Exceptional playback & record is what i will care for most but I am curious as to what level of playback control they came out with....I believe that there is a remote control option? (I wonder if Jeff could do a 5v/12v trigger jack as part of the customization...)
Yes but they're rare and will run a couple of hundred dollars on eBay. But didn't Jeff say on his website that he's building a remote control for the decks too?

Quote:
I'm not sure about memory counter queuing on the Technics? Am I correct in saying that it has no or just basic queuing features only? I suspect it doesn't have a light sensor/rewind slow either like a Studer has?
Mine doesn't in part because disconnected the memory counter. And mine doesn't have auto rewind either. The only Technics that I know of that has auto rewind is the 1700 and that's 4 track only, unlike the 1500 (and 1800?) where you can playback 2 and 4 track tapes.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor

Yes but they're rare and will run a couple of hundred dollars on eBay. But didn't Jeff say on his website that he's building a remote control for the decks too?

Mine doesn't in part because disconnected the memory counter. And mine doesn't have auto rewind either. The only Technics that I know of that has auto rewind is the 1700 and that's 4 track only, unlike the 1500 (and 1800?) where you can playback 2 and 4 track tapes.
Myles...Jeff has quoted his wireless remote option. I await his email on some other customization can do's. There is currently an original Technics RS-070 wireless remote for sale on e-bay for $750 that is claimed to work with the 1500, 1506, 1520, 1700, 10A02, 777, and 1800. :curious:

Unfortunately, the RS-1520 is US 120v only. Wish it had switchable power. I'm hoping perhaps he could arrange a 240v retrofit instead of providing an external step down transformer which he has already offered. I'm not that keen on having to use step down.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Myles...Jeff has quoted his wireless remote option. I await his email on some other customization can do's. There is currently an original Technics RS-070 wireless remote for sale on e-bay for $750 that is claimed to work with the 1500, 1506, 1520, 1700, 10A02, 777, and 1800. :curious:

Unfortunately, the RS-1520 is US 120v only. Wish it had switchable power. I'm hoping perhaps he could arrange a 240v retrofit instead of providing an external step down transformer which he has already offered. I'm not that keen on having to use step down.
Steve.......Whether the step down power transformer is external or internal, the function is the same.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Hello everyone, just getting back into this crazy hobby. It’s actually the R2R resurgence that has me excited, but it almost appears that the R2R comeback is over. Not many threads related to R2R, and it’s seems that j-corder is slowing down and even some here have gotten away from it. Am I seeing this correct? Just purchased a Revox PR-99 mkiii that has been completely redone. It’s a special version built by a gentleman in Switzerland. Not inexpensive, but meets my needs and is cosmetically perfect. Any recent updates on where to source pre-recorded tape?
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 11-03-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCheek View Post
Hello everyone, just getting back into this crazy hobby. It’s actually the R2R resurgence that has me excited, but it almost appears that the R2R comeback is over. Not many threads related to R2R, and it’s seems that j-corder is slowing down and even some here have gotten away from it. Am I seeing this correct? Just purchased a Revox PR-99 mkiii that has been completely redone. It’s a special version built by a gentleman in Switzerland. Not inexpensive, but meets my needs and is cosmetically perfect. Any recent updates on where to source pre-recorded tape?
Congrats on the new deck! I don't think tape has hit the proverbial wall so to speak. It's always been an extreme niche market and continues to be so. I think you'll know it's over when the specialty tape studios stop producing high quality titles in the 15ips IEC format.

Post a picture of the Revox when you get a second. I think there is a "show us your tape deck" thread somewhere around here.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 11-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Quote:
You can get prerecorded R2R at Acoustic Sounds, The Tape Project (I have bought from them) to name a few. Do an Internet search.

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 11-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Member Extraordinaire

reel-1.jpg

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 11-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Congrats on the new deck! I don't think tape has hit the proverbial wall so to speak. It's always been an extreme niche market and continues to be so. I think you'll know it's over when the specialty tape studios stop producing high quality titles in the 15ips IEC format.

Post a picture of the Revox when you get a second. I think there is a "show us your tape deck" thread somewhere around here.
Here you go. Still getting to know her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 45869655-F7E4-4909-A569-9E2B12791950.jpeg (3.76 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg EBAE3203-CF57-4018-98AB-0958F3E8452F.jpeg (3.89 MB, 13 views)
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 11-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Here you go. Still getting to know her.
Responded to your post in the pictures thread.

Are you planning on recording any home made tapes? The ATR Magnetics stock is very good tape. They have very nice colored reels as well.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)